Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:54 PM

387 posts, read 515,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardo View Post
I'm from Florida and every time I come to LA. Compton and Inglewood are the first places I hit and spend the lions share of my time. I close childhood friends and family friends with some folks from my neighborhood who have family in Compton. Every time I've been to LA I spent most of my time in Compton. Someone from LA who has never seen a gang member before must be from Beverly Hills or something cause the gangs are SUPER THiCK there. One time I turned into the neighborhood my best friends family is from an there was about 20 of them blocking the street and I had to tell them who I knew and how I knew them to get permission to enter the area. If you ever drive thru the neighborhoods or backstreets of south LA you will see gang members everywhere, often in large groups. I don't think gang injunctions are working.
I just spent a month in Southern Ca. We traveled from San Diego to San Fran. A few observations.Coming from NYC the rents in SF were high, talking the city center mainly. The hills, parking, cool, breezy weather, was a nice visit but no thanks. LA the traffic was the standout, great city if you're near a subway but we spent a lot of time on the 405. Didn't check out any apartments, looked at Zillow,Trulia they showed some for around $2000.San Diego was about the same, its a big county so you pay for location. My niece lives a new high rise downtown SD near the ballpark. We walked arounds several blocks, great nightlife but the homeless seemed all over. They weren't aggressive like in NYC but you have to be aware. Articles in the paper want action to help the homeless get help, they need to do something. Its only common sense that if your down on your luck Southern Ca. would be my destination.Overall, I think the quality of life in Ca beats Nyc, cost of living about the same, taxes, gas prices similar.You can live much cheaper anywhere in between the coasts, don't think you'll find the beauty of Ca. or the amenities of NYC. I'm newly retired but I did see a lot of retail jobs on both coasts, sadly they don't pay the high cost of living. That is the dilemma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 05:40 PM

1,230 posts, read 989,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronejacobs0 View Post
I'm only here for a short period of time,nice city but dear lord i have never seen soo many homeless people and their seems to be soo many gangs.LA is scary!
So does San Francisco and San Diego. The only difference is San Diego seem to have more younger homeless where LA most of the homeless are older people.

As for street gangs well gangs in LA don't seem to fly colors like they need in the past like red pants, red shirt, red baseball cap and red do-read so on.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Me and my wife drove through compton and south la and we seen gangs.

Having tattoos and sagging your pants wouldnt that atleast make you look like a gang memeber?
Yea but like other here said long baggy t-shirts and baggy pants and do-rag typical of Hollywood view is not what people dress like in LA . Yes street gangs and wannabe gangsta where tight jeans that are black in color or dark blue jeans and fitting t-shirt.

This means white people, Hispanic and yes black people I say again yes black people where tight jeans that are black in color or dark blue jeans and fitting t-shirt. Not long baggy t-shirts and baggy pants so on

You are NOT going to get blood or crip or any street gang dressed like this in LA be it gangs or wannabe gangstas.

white people, Hispanic and yes black people don't dress like this in LA or anywhere in the LA are.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...09474955ab.jpg

http://thehoodup.com/board/download/file.php?id=5013

So I don't know where you are seeing people dress like that. Baggy clothing is out in LA so is colors and people wearing do-rag. That was more typical of the 90's.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:27 AM

1,122 posts, read 960,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Somebody has actually posted ads in other cities, encouraging homeless to come to LA. Once they passed that law that allows homeless to sleep in the streets, that was the beginning of the end. Now they are everywhere.
Politicians in LA are all Liberal and "progressive". They do everything they can to allow it all to happen.

Yep and these politicians are destroying our state. None of them have a lick of sense. They really don't. They pander way too much-

Homeless situation is terrible and getting worse. As far as gangs - you cannot see them. They are here though. We know about the Tongan Crip Gang [Tonga Crip / TCG] and are based in the City of Inglewood. Tonga is a Polynesian Island nation. Lennox has gangs. Gangs are STILL around for sure.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:07 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,926,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney View Post
Gangs seem to be phased out. I went to South Central, Lennox and even parts of Watts are no longer gang filled like it was during the 80's and 90's.
Unfortunately, you're dreaming, gangs are alive and well in L.A.. I often appraise homes in Compton, Watts and other parts of South Central. It's true that during the daytime things look pretty normal, but swing by Nickerson Gardens in Watts on a Friday night and see how that goes.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:56 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,605,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Unfortunately, you're dreaming, gangs are alive and well in L.A.. I often appraise homes in Compton, Watts and other parts of South Central. It's true that during the daytime things look pretty normal, but swing by Nickerson Gardens in Watts on a Friday night and see how that goes.
You can't go a day in MacArthur Park without seeing gang graffiti. One gang sprays and their rival crosses it out and sprays THEIR name, and then back and forth it goes on and on, with an arrow pointing down to show this is their territory. They cover elementary schools, libraries, daycare centers, convalescent hospitals, they don't care.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:08 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,152,177 times
Just getting back home from five days in L.A. and, unfortunately, the situation does look much worse than when I last lived here. I must mention, in fairness, that most of this is just aesthetics, as the homeless I encountered weren't overtly violent or even all that loud (I was only asked for money once and that dude looked more like a drunkard than homeless), but when you're paying $3K to live in an ostensibly nice neighborhood, it's hard to pretend this issue doesn't exist. Santa Monica does seem to attract a truly special kind, as well. I read about Pasadena not having homeless families anymore, but it certainly still seems to have plenty of singles.

Loath though I am to offer a diagnosis without a solution, I'm not sure I have even a semblance of one. What did Giuliani do in NYC?

Old 12-30-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney
Gangs seem to be phased out. I went to South Central, Lennox and even parts of Watts are no longer gang filled like it was during the 80's and 90's.
Because gangs in Los Angeles now dress like most people on the street now. They don't want the public and cops to know they gang members. They dress in ordinarily clothing now that public wears.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:42 PM

216 posts, read 200,694 times
Quote:
I'm only here for a short period of time,nice city but dear lord i have never seen soo many homeless people and their seems to be soo many gangs.LA is scary!
LOL....are you serious !!!!

Old 12-30-2016, 09:55 PM

216 posts, read 200,694 times
Quote:
Me and my wife drove through compton and south la and we seen gangs.

Having tattoos and sagging your pants wouldnt that atleast make you look like a gang memeber?
You drove through Compton and South LA and saw gangs? What time of the day was this? Was that the extent of you're visit to LA? As far as the homeless, sure, we have a homeless problem, as do most big cities in sunny California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles