Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:11 PM

36 posts, read 196,736 times

Advertisements

Hi,

How long do you think it would take to commute from Brentwood to UCLA at rush-hour?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 01:18 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,637,932 times
brentwood and westwood are adjacent communities. depending upon where you are starting from in brentwood, the drive could be anywhere from five to 25 minutes. add 10-15 minutes during the worst traffic, particularly if you have to travel on wilshire all or most of the way. it can crawl!

Last edited by katenik; 02-27-2008 at 01:32 PM..

Old 02-27-2008, 01:33 PM

48 posts, read 211,452 times
very very odd question

Old 02-27-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by los$candalous View Post
very very odd question
not really. someone who lives in a less densely populated area than the westside wouldn't necessarily know how long it could take to go two miles at rush hour, and someone who doesn't live in LA at all would have no clue, just by looking at a map. finding parking on campus also takes time. door-to-door, the trip isn't as fast as it looks during the busiest times of day.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:49 PM

wow

when you toss in all the unknown variables............any commute in any city can be a nightmare

Old 02-27-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by los$candalous View Post
wow

when you toss in all the unknown variables............any commute in any city can be a nightmare
if you don't want to help, why don't you just ignore the thread, instead of berating the question?

Old 02-27-2008, 01:54 PM

actually.......this is a free message board

so i guess i can ignore the thread

but since it's not costing me anything to do so, i will continue to post my 2 cents

Old 02-27-2008, 02:43 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pureid View Post
Hi,

How long do you think it would take to commute from Brentwood to UCLA at rush-hour?

Thanks!
That could be anywhere from 10-25 minutes. Depends on how deep (i.e., how far west) you are in Brentwood.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:31 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,903 times
Depends on what part of Brentwood you will live in. My experience is limited to evening traffic:

If you travel East along Sunset blvd during rush hour it could take 45 minutes to drive from bundy to the east side of the 405 and drop into westwood.

San Vicente which crosses Wilshire blvd is also busy due to gridlock on Wilshire Blvd to the 405.

Ohio, which is below Wilshire and will take you to the southern portion of Westwood is the slowest because its one lane. It would be quicker to walk east on Ohio than drive.

I drive through Brentwood to westwood a few times a week during evening rush hour. It is generally a very irritating experience and is primarily caused by valley commuters looking to enter the 405 at the sunset & moraga on ramps.

At least a few times per month, LA dept of w&p will also close a lane on sunset blvd which backs it up for a good 3 miles.

If you can drive against traffic, you will have no problems.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:50 PM

642 posts, read 3,072,585 times
Yep. Yep. Yep. greggd is right on here.

It once took me 1 full hour (atleast) to go from Bundy to the 405 and then another 20 or so to UCLA and to get parked. I had a class and let's just say, I was expecting maybe 1/2 hour at the most. This is when I first moved here. Man was that a wake up call. An hour and 20 minutes is by no means a usual, but it is pretty serious congestion and backup during peak commute hours on the westside going toward the freeway(s)--405 and 10--no matter where one is.

Depending on where you are at in Brentwood, I would recommend alloting around an hour just in case and as protection if the timing is critical I would allow 1 hour and 15 minutes (during peak commute time only) and grab some food or whatever while you are waiting. Once you get the parking down, that will reduce the time (if you are in a garage) if not street parking can be unpredictable or at times predictably difficult to find an open spot with all the events and action going on over there.

Sometimes the commute could be 15-30 minutes--even during a rush hour. Depends on what time of day or night or sometimes traffic is just light at peak times.

45 minutes to one hour is a good planning time if you have a straight shot on the parking during rush hour. I am talking about Sunset Blvd. here, Wilshire may take a bit less time as mentioned by katenik. Getting to Wilshire on San Vicente on occasion can be a little slow and added time though--depends. I have a tendency to pad my driving time though if I can get away with it, as it lowers the stress if the worse case scenario presents itself or seems like it is about to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Depends on what part of Brentwood you will live in. My experience is limited to evening traffic:

If you travel East along Sunset blvd during rush hour it could take 45 minutes to drive from bundy to the east side of the 405 and drop into westwood.

San Vicente which crosses Wilshire blvd is also busy due to gridlock on Wilshire Blvd to the 405.

Ohio, which is below Wilshire and will take you to the southern portion of Westwood is the slowest because its one lane. It would be quicker to walk east on Ohio than drive.

I drive through Brentwood to westwood a few times a week during evening rush hour. It is generally a very irritating experience and is primarily caused by valley commuters looking to enter the 405 at the sunset & moraga on ramps.

At least a few times per month, LA dept of w&p will also close a lane on sunset blvd which backs it up for a good 3 miles.

If you can drive against traffic, you will have no problems.

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 02-28-2008 at 12:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles