Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:00 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,637,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Typical of Los Angeles, it's hidden neighborhood. It's behind Crenshaw Blvd (westward) between Pico and Venice. Big beautiful houses. They've actually gated it and Wellington Square (on the other side of Venice) to keep the riff raff out. Because there's so much riff raff on that part of Crenshaw, unless you know it's there, you don't know it's there.
thanks. i know wellington square, but i didn't realize that the area to the north had been gated as well. years ago, i had a friend whose family lived in one of the few large houses in arlington heights that hadn't been chopped into a duplex at some point, and the architectural details in that house were just fabulous. they don't build 'em like they used to...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 04:58 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPalms View Post
Ah c'mom, Marilyn, West Hollywood close to NYC , East coast "Standards". Thats a nasty and cruel thing to say about WeHo! It's not that bad.

^^ LOL ^^

Old 03-10-2008, 10:25 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
Yep, same goes for Vermont Knolls (where did they come up with THAT name??). It is largely behind where Pepperdine used to be, off 83rd or so and Vermont. Yes, THAT Pepperdine that is now in Malibu was founded in South L.A. Then again, Hollywood Park is in Inglewood- go figure.

I believe one of the L.A. County Supes lives in the Knolls.
OK. Behind Crenshaw Christain Center's Faithdome. I used to go to that church. When they were beginning the clean-up I haven't been down there since they finished but I've heard it's nice.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
thanks. i know wellington square, but i didn't realize that the area to the north had been gated as well. years ago, i had a friend whose family lived in one of the few large houses in arlington heights that hadn't been chopped into a duplex at some point, and the architectural details in that house were just fabulous. they don't build 'em like they used to...
I know. Don't those houses make you feel warm and fuzzy? I call them "Big Momma" houses. My dream is to own one. Even the ones in West Adams are great unfortunately the people who live there aren't.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:04 AM

12 posts, read 39,369 times
thanks for all your help guys! it seems like the term "car culture" refers to the mindset of most los angeleans. i know public transportation is lacking, but it can be done (and it's not like i don't have a car :-)

Old 03-28-2008, 10:28 PM

5 posts, read 9,876 times
Default Car Free, Urban Los Angeles

Koreatown. Right on top of the underground metro, which goes to downtown and Hollywood. It is also on top of Wilshire Boulevard. Check out the website
LAEV.org for genuine urban living. I have lived car free in Los Angeles for 10 years. If I really need a car, I can rent or do Flexcar. Walk, ride a bike, or a scooter.

Bus info: mta.net

All of you, think outside the box, a tiny bit.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:02 AM

13 posts, read 34,235 times
Downtown is all the things you are looking for. Ignore the fear mongers.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:49 AM

This is Downtown.
YouTube - Homeless in Los Angeles: Welcome to our backyard Enjoy your new home.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:37 AM

455 posts, read 1,114,578 times
Sure I think that you could live in West LA without a car and still have a good life. Just buy a cheaper bicycle that you wouldn't cry about if stolen. I think the needing a car myth in LA is more for if you live outside of the westside. I saw busses alot while I was on vacation and stayed in Hollywood. Actually, I got stuck behind them several times when driving my rental car.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:37 AM

18 posts, read 349,881 times
I don't know where you intership will be located but I add a second vote for South Pasadena. It is a beautiful community and has easy access to the Gold Line which goes into downtown LA and Pasadena. Once in downtown you can transfer to the Red Line that goes to North Hollywood or the Blue Line that goes down to Long Beach or the Green Line that goes out to El Segundo (west) and Norwalk (east). Downtown has the Dash system that is only $0.25 to ride in and around downtown. I think you can live in LA and not drive your car. I lived in Manhattan Beach and took the commuter express or the green line to the blue line into downtown LA every day for 4 years. But keep in mind that many people pay more for their cars than they do on rent. It is a status symbol and LA folks like their freedom. Plus, public transportation runs less frequently on the weekends and stops around midnight M-F. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles