Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 04:37 PM

406 posts, read 348,169 times

Advertisements

L.A.'s Garment Workers Face Horrific Workplace Conditions, According To New Report: LAist

The report, which was released by the UCLA Labor Center on Friday, found that conditions in America's garment capital are "deeply unsafe and unhealthy for many of those who make what is stocked at popular clothing shops and department stores."

I'm sure the majority of these workers are undocumented/illegal and yet the companies hiring them don't get shut down /massive fines. Meanwhile companies like American Apparel can't stay competitive because they are paying their workers the increased minimum wage. It's ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 05:08 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
This is why most clothes are made in SE Asia not in the United States. I'm sure the new President will fix all of this

Old 12-13-2016, 01:29 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,686,608 times
LAIst trying to be the Liberal propaganda machine that they are. I don't care because there people are here illegally.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:27 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Blame Koreans. Nearly all the sweatshops in LA are owned by Korean immigrants who hire illegal Hispanic labor. A handful of Hispanic and Caucasian owners, who also hire illegals.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:43 AM

626 posts, read 625,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Blame Koreans. Nearly all the sweatshops in LA are owned by Korean immigrants who hire illegal Hispanic labor. A handful of Hispanic and Caucasian owners, who also hire illegals.
Not just Korean but Armenians as well. My coworker has a buddy of his who buys clothes from LA through a contact his friend has(middle man), and sells them online for a nice profit. That guy asked my coworker if he would be able to go down there see what my coworker can do to help cut out the middle man and buy direct from the shop.

So my coworker goes down there one day after work to the address that his friend has. He goes to the shop and finds out it's a sweat shop so he starts asking questions and gets no where with the lady in charge so he decides to leave. The lady automatically gets on her phone and calls someone about my coworker.

So my coworker goes to leave the place on his motorbike and he gets stopped by 3 Armenian guys, who then start asking him why he is there and what is his problem because I guess they think he is a undercover police(he's white). So they start asking him all these questions and why he is there. My coworker starts getting freaked out and luckily diffuses the situation and talked his way out of it and promptly leaves. He ends up calling his friend back and says that he won't go back down there and he has to continue buying through his middleman.

My coworker said he will NEVER go down there again.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Or I could blame the ineffective government that doesn't properly enforce workers safety laws. It takes a catastrophic event like that Oakland hippy commune fire to get local government to actually wake up.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:19 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippityhop View Post
Or I could blame the ineffective government that doesn't properly enforce workers safety laws. It takes a catastrophic event like that Oakland hippy commune fire to get local government to actually wake up.
Rather silly point of view when the political party you support is capable of enforcing state laws, but doesn't, and you blame "the govt" and not the Democrats that run the state and county.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Rather silly point of view when the political party you support is capable of enforcing state laws, but doesn't, and you blame "the govt" and not the Democrats that run the state and county.
It is only a silly point of view if you make silly assumptions. Who are you saying supports Democrats? Are you speaking about yourself? If I am blaming the county government and the county government is run by Democrats, would I not be blaming Democrats? Are you saying that Republicans support going after employers that hire illegals more aggressively? Please show me evidence of this as I would be very interested to see it.

I have said repeatedly that if people actually want to end illegal immigration you don't do it by building higher walls or more agents at the border. That's a waste of time and money. All you have to do is stop the incentive for people coming here in the first place. And that is jobs / employers who are willing to turn a blind eye because the benefit of hiring illegals outweighs any potential legal ramifications. Increasing the scrutiny of the employers and giving harsher fines or even jail time will change the balance of that equation immediately.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:13 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
Not just Korean but Armenians as well. My coworker has a buddy of his who buys clothes from LA through a contact his friend has(middle man), and sells them online for a nice profit. That guy asked my coworker if he would be able to go down there see what my coworker can do to help cut out the middle man and buy direct from the shop.

So my coworker goes down there one day after work to the address that his friend has. He goes to the shop and finds out it's a sweat shop so he starts asking questions and gets no where with the lady in charge so he decides to leave. The lady automatically gets on her phone and calls someone about my coworker.

So my coworker goes to leave the place on his motorbike and he gets stopped by 3 Armenian guys, who then start asking him why he is there and what is his problem because I guess they think he is a undercover police(he's white). So they start asking him all these questions and why he is there. My coworker starts getting freaked out and luckily diffuses the situation and talked his way out of it and promptly leaves. He ends up calling his friend back and says that he won't go back down there and he has to continue buying through his middleman.

My coworker said he will NEVER go down there again.
So, your friend went an trespassed on private property and was asked to leave. Cool story

Old 12-13-2016, 11:44 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
This is NOT news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles