Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 02:08 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,472 times

Advertisements

I'm still moving there regardless of all this mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 02:12 PM

155 posts, read 164,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I was there this past weekend and you're flat-out lying, as is the OP. The part where he said it takes
3-4 hours to get to OC gave it away.

LA isn't going to win any awards for cleanliness, but it's hardly the dirtiest in the US.
We were walking down Dell Ave and there was quite a lot of trash in the canals. It wasn't as bad as other parts of the city but it was still surprising to see trash in such a nice area. I'm not sure if we were there on a bad day or not but it was a little disheartening to see trash in such a lovely neighborhood. There were a few houses which were having renovations being done on them so it could of possibly have been the contractors being careless and throwing their trash into the canals.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:26 PM

672 posts, read 2,175,523 times
Despite my snarky comments, it is true that the trash problem here is pretty depressing.

But a lot of you might just be too young to remember what the trash problem was like in the 1970s. It really was pretty standard for people to throw their trash out of their car windows. It was just what we all did. The sides of the roads and the freeways were pretty disgusting. That's when there was a big campaign to stop littering from cars, and $1000 fines were instituted. It was a big multi-year campaign with TV commercials and radio commercials.

And, another thing that you might not remember is how, in the 1980s, Hollywood was utterly crammed full of homeless teenage runaways. The homeless problem then was just as bad, in my recollection, as it is now. Except that the homeless were more gutter punks and less crazy people.

And also the pavement problems. Back in Mayor Tom Bradley's day, the pavement was much worse than it is now. He tried to balance the budget and let the roads disintegrate. Mayor Riordan started fixing the pavement when he got into office.

Everything is cycles. So it goes.

All this stuff happens in cycles. We focus on one thing, and another thing goes to crap. That's just the nature of any city. You can't solve all the problems all of the time.

This isn't a new low for LA.

Last edited by Mike121; 12-21-2016 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: too vs to

Old 12-21-2016, 02:36 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
And you thought Blade Runner was science fiction.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:01 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
Despite my snarky comments, it is true that the trash problem here is pretty depressing.

But a lot of you might just be too young to remember what the trash problem was like in the 1970s. It really was pretty standard for people to throw their trash out of their car windows. It was just what we all did. The sides of the roads and the freeways were pretty disgusting. That's when there was a big campaign to stop littering from cars, and $1000 fines were instituted. It was a big multi-year campaign with TV commercials and radio commercials.

And, another thing that you might not remember is how, in the 1980s, Hollywood was utterly crammed full of homeless teenage runaways. The homeless problem then was just as bad, in my recollection, as it is now. Except that the homeless were more gutter punks and less crazy people.

And also the pavement problems. Back in Mayor Tom Bradley's day, the pavement was much worse than it is now. He tried to balance the budget and let the roads disintegrate. Mayor Riordan started fixing the pavement when he got into office.

Everything is cycles. So it goes.

All this stuff happens in cycles. We focus on one thing, and another thing goes to crap. That's just the nature of any city. You can't solve all the problems all of the time.

This isn't a new low for LA.
Even with littering being more common in the 1970s and earlier, the streets of L.A. were much cleaner before Prop 13 than they are today.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:12 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Phil, you visited for a week. Venice Beach for many years has had a lot of homeless. And you will get no argument from me that we have a major homeless problem here in LA. Did you see any of the parts of Venice where the homes are on the canals? I'm guessing no, you did the tourist walk through Venice Beach.

But you went to a few limited areas. You make it sound like all of LA is just loaded with trash on the sidewalks, and that simply isn't true. As I posted earlier Tuesday morning is my area's day for trash pickup, people put their recycled, yard, and garbage bins out and it gets picked up. Just like other places across the country.

And you have no clue what you're talking about in regards to buildings, we have very strict codes here due to earthquakes.

You were here for a week, I wouldn't go to Denver or any other city for a week, see a few areas, and base my opinion and try to make it factual based on a very limited visit.
It doesn't take a nine month study to see a difference. I think I covered a decent snippet of the city for the 2 days I had to myself. I did some tourist spots and some not so tourist spots, like Filipino town. Go to Denver for 2 days and you won't see mattresses on the side of the road, and Denver has it's fair share of homeless problems.

Yes I did go see the parts up by the canals. It was quaint and unique and reminded me of an older, smaller, much less lavish version of Clearwater FL.

Maybe the I beams are thicker in CA because of the earthquakes, but the road noise traveled through the walls much more and the outsides and insides of buildings had more wear and tear without an update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
do Filipinos really live in that area?
Yeah, the people I saw there were predominately Filipino, but there wasn't any cool Filipino things to see or places to eat that I saw. Little Toyko would have probably been a lot more fun.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:30 AM

127 posts, read 140,794 times
Over my almost 20 years in LA, I saw a huge increase in cockroaches. Their dead bodies are all over the westside. And West Hollywood, they have those big suckers running all over the place at night.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:50 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
do Filipinos really live in that area?
More towards Glendale. On the end of Historic Filipinotown bordering Koreatown and Little Bagledesh while there are Filipino markets, a Filipino priest at the local Catholic Church, Jollibee's amd other fast food and hair salons the residents are mostly Latinos like the rest of LA and Korean signs are pushing north as Koreatown expands

Old 02-14-2017, 10:25 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,441 times
billions of dollars go to illegal immigrants op.

imagine if we used that money for..........what it's actually for.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:29 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
billions of dollars go to illegal immigrants op.

imagine if we used that money for..........what it's actually for.
Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles