Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 11:19 AM

817 posts, read 752,528 times

Advertisements

What are everybody's thoughts on the interest rates going up on mortgages? What are you seeing in terms of home prices this month? Up or down? Predictions for next year?

(Only local L.A. thoughs)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 11:57 AM

88 posts, read 89,619 times
I think home prices will keep going up because economy is good. everyone seems to have jobs and unemployment is at an all time low. Here is zillow link for example, not sure if it is accurate and estimates keep changing every month.

Los Angeles CA Home Prices & Home Values | Zillow

Zillow says LA housing went up 8% in 2016. I think it will repeat so in 2017, prices will go up another 8%.
Zillow estimates housing will go up 2% in 2017.

Mortgage rate will go up 1% in 2017 but does not affect the housing prices in my opinion.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:07 PM

672 posts, read 2,174,512 times
Probably depends on how many buyers are cash buyers versus how many buyers are getting a mortgage. The cash buyers don't care about mortgage rates.

So the trendy areas or Chinese areas will have property values that will go up, but, the "regular person" neighborhoods will go down slightly.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:24 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lablitz View Post
I think home prices will keep going up because economy is good. everyone seems to have jobs and unemployment is at an all time low. Here is zillow link for example, not sure if it is accurate and estimates keep changing every month.

Los Angeles CA Home Prices & Home Values | Zillow

Zillow says LA housing went up 8% in 2016. I think it will repeat so in 2017, prices will go up another 8%.
Zillow estimates housing will go up 2% in 2017.

Mortgage rate will go up 1% in 2017 but does not affect the housing prices in my opinion.
"everybody" has a job but most don't have jobs that can buy a home in LA. many of these jobs are part time as well.

unemployment is "low" but that's because nearly 100 million people aren't in the labor force and are not counted.

the myth of the obama recovery.

but I agree that home prices will continue to remain high or even go up in LA. foreign money influx, supply and demand.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:40 PM

1,156 posts, read 986,498 times
I think history will somewhat repeat itself. Many in the summer/fall of 2003 were worried about increasing interest rates, and there was a buying frenzy with multiple offers, people trading up to be in their "forever" home to take advantage of the low rates back then, which if I remember correctly were about 5.25% for a 30 year. Then one to two years go by around 2004/2005 and rates are a little higher 5.625%/5.75%. Prices are 20+% higher and fewer people can afford a 30 year mortgage, so lenders loosen standards, more people take out interest only 1/1, 3/1, 5/1 ARMS and prices got more out of control for the next 6-12 months. Then everyone knows what happened.

When will this happen and to what extent will there be a drop is anyone's guess. But if I had to guess, barring any unforeseen major catastrophe I think we have another 2-3 years of gains, albeit not near the same scale as the last 4-5 years. The good areas will continue to be in high demand and may suffer a 10% decline, and the outer not so prime areas will experience a much larger decline. It won't happen all of a sudden, as the last cycle peaked in 2006/2007 and hit its low in 2011/2012, so the next bottom could be in 2023/2024. Again, just a guess based on historical trends and current macroeconomic factors. If lenders don't loosen then there will likely be a period of flat to slightly negative growth. But lenders have to make money so the greed will somehow kick in.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:43 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Prices will keep going up like they did and still are in the Bay Area and NYC. As others have mentioned, a lot of the property in LA is still being purchased by cash buyers so interest rates don't matter.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:49 PM

88 posts, read 89,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
Probably depends on how many buyers are cash buyers versus how many buyers are getting a mortgage. The cash buyers don't care about mortgage rates.

So the trendy areas or Chinese areas will have property values that will go up, but, the "regular person" neighborhoods will go down slightly.
There are alot less chinese all cash buyers in 2016 because of a new law from China. The new law makes it harder to take cash out of china. Therefore a rich Chinese area like Arcadia, CA went down 4% in 2016. compared to Los Angeles went up 8% in 2016.

Arcadia CA Home Prices & Home Values | Zillow

Old 12-20-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lablitz View Post
There are alot less chinese all cash buyers in 2016 because of a new law from China. The new law makes it harder to take cash out of china. Therefore a rich Chinese area like Arcadia, CA went down 4% in 2016. compared to Los Angeles went up 8% in 2016.

Arcadia CA Home Prices & Home Values | Zillow
The arabs will buy up the rest

Old 12-20-2016, 01:11 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
The arabs will buy up the rest
There are a lot less wealthy arabs than chinese, so I'm not sure that will be the case.

anyways, more important to me than home values are rental prices. i doubt I'll sell my house any time soon, but I may move and turn my house into a rental property at some point. a stronger economy, limited new building, and increased home prices certainly help me on this front. even if sale prices stagnate or decline a bit, the stronger economy and increased savings rates should keep rent prices from declining. i'm not too worried about the low end (e.g. part time workers and the under employed) as renting my house would require a healthy family salary, probably double the median at a minimum.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guru View Post
Arabs aren't moving into Arcadia. Who are you joking lol.

Prices will probably stay pretty flat for 2017.
The saying is "who are you kidding?" LOL

Anyway, the Chinese aren't buying up property in Arcadia to live there either, they are buying investment property
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles