Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 01:55 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,348 times

Advertisements

In the next few weeks, George Lucas is going to decide between San Francisco and LA for the location of his Lucas Museum of Narrative Art. It's SF's Treasure Island vs Expo Park. He's from SF (lives there now) so perhaps they are the favorite, but the island location is pretty odd (accessibility would be a nightmare). Chicago was initially chosen, but some NIMBY backlash forced him to pull out of Chi-town apparently. This would be great for LA!

Pressure Builds for Lucas Museum Selection | News | ladowntownnews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 08:16 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,607,008 times
Oh. I had no idea the Chicago decision fell through. Here's hoping we win this time around. I like that it will include a library, classrooms, and green space.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:38 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
If placed in SF, the Treasure Island location would indeed be a nightmare to get to, only accessible by driving or (from the Oakland side only, for now) riding a bike across the Bay Bridge. No BART access.

If placed in L.A., the S. Vermont Ave. location by Exposition Park and USC would mean that the museum is in a part of town that is still veritably crappy. Metro access would be close by, but that neighborhood Metro station is a no-go zone, as far as I'm concerned, late at night.

The downtown areas of either city--whether by AT&T Park and the proposed new Warriors arena in SF or among the burgeoning arts scene in DTLA--would be more idea. Of course, I think it would make more sense to place the museum in L.A.; even though S.F. (Marin really) is Lucas' home and he seems to love it and wants to give back to the community, L.A. has been the big contributor to his success.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:11 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,921 times
^^^ I find it funny how many people are so afraid of the USC area, whether it's day or night. It's always blown out of proportion.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:38 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
^^^ I find it funny how many people are so afraid of the USC area, whether it's day or night. It's always blown out of proportion.
True. It's a little slummy in a lot of areas, but I haven't felt unsafe there since the 90's/early 2000's.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:51 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
The nearby California Science Center gets 1.5 million visitors a year, including 300k school children. If these kids can brave the dystopian streets of LA to see the Space Shuttle, Lucas fans can do the same for Greedo's costume.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
True. It's a little slummy in a lot of areas, but I haven't felt unsafe there since the 90's/early 2000's.
Yes, I can agree that parts are slummy. But slummy doesn't automatically mean extremely dangerous.

I feel safe as well.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The nearby California Science Center gets 1.5 million visitors a year, including 300k school children. If these kids can brave the dystopian streets of LA to see the Space Shuttle, Lucas fans can do the same for Greedo's costume.
Exactly! Not to mention all the concerts that were held at the now extinct Sports Arena, the games and events at the Coliseum, etc. A new soccer stadium will be going in the area. I see nothing to worry about.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:17 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
USC has its own private security patrolling around the campus , it would be a lot worse otherwise.
Depends how far you go around the campus . There have been killings of USC students , I had a friend whose brother was stabbed right by campus .

Westwood area is definitely a lot safer overall no doubt .

It depends what you are comparing it to really .

Old 12-30-2016, 01:28 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,348 times
I echo what others are saying about how the "danger" of the USC area is a little overblown. The museum would be used during mostly daytime hours anyway, I'm assuming. It's not like a bunch of kids would be there at night. And yes, if the other museum in the area is doing fine there, then the Lucas museum will thrive.

The Expo Line-adjacent aspect is maybe the biggest reason for choosing this location though. It's so centrally located, and around the same time, the Regional Connector will be complete. Thus, folks from the east (Gold Line) will be able reach the museum in one train. Seems like a no-brainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles