Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 07:12 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
The race card has been dropped. Everyone run!
He can read minds and just KNOWS that everyone against illegal immigration is a rabid racist. Why is he wasting his time on message boards and not putting his talent to use at carnivals and street fairs?

Old 01-15-2017, 07:12 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Which group would that be? Everyone who doesn't agree with you politically?
Once again, I have no idea whether the person I made fun of actually disagrees with me politically. I even went so far as to state it outright, numerous times. But you feel free to keep twisting my words and attributing to me that which I have never said - after all, if you say it often enough, it will become true, dontcha know.
Quote:
Tell me do illegal aliens ever deserve your contempt? Something tells me the answer is no...
Something tells me you don't even know what my stance on the subject is. You'd do well scrolling just a little bit up the page.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
The race card has been dropped. Everyone run!
Would you like me to substitute the words you highlighted with "everyone who talks funny"? Would that stop the panic? Happy to do so. This has nothing to do with race.

Although, it must be said that the vast majority of people who accuse others of "dropping the race card" do so for one reason and one reason only. Can you guess what that might be?

Old 01-15-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
He can read minds and just KNOWS that everyone against illegal immigration is a rabid racist.
Nope. False, all of it.
Quote:
Why is he wasting his time on message boards and not putting his talent to use at carnivals and street fairs?
Because I prefer not to spend my time around people of your ilk.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Would you like me to substitute the words you highlighted with "everyone who talks funny"? Would that stop the panic? Happy to do so. This has nothing to do with race.
Then why did you bring race into it? Your post #114:

Quote:
This has nothing to do with the fact that a great many supporters of closing down the borders don't know anything about immigration at all (much less the fact that their own ancestors were immigrants, for starters) apart from the fact that they don't like brown (yellow, blue, red, green, pick whichever color you'd like that isn't white) people.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Nope. False, all of it.Because I prefer not to spend my time around people of your ilk.
Resort to personal insults when you have no argument left.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Not indignation. More like recognition of your contempt for Americans,
Nope. My contempt is not "for Americans". It's for a very select group of them. After all, I'm an American myself and I have not yet descended into self-hatred.

Or did you, perhaps, mean "Americans" as in "this is our country Americans" whose ancestors came here so long ago that they've become blind to the fact that they, too, are products of immigration?
Quote:
Believe me with Trump's win I'm more happy than anything else!
There's absolutely no doubt in my mind about that.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Then why did you bring race into it? Your post #114:
To illustrate a point, but, given your and Luvs's sensitivity to it, I'm happy to take race out of it, like I said. It doesn't really doesn't modify my point any, but congratulations on going off on another tangential point.
Quote:
Resort to personal insults when you have no argument left.
Given how long ago you've done the same, I can't help but feel like it's fair game.

Besides, at this point in time for you to say that I have no argument left is basically to admit your own impotence. You have accused me of numerous things while putting words in my mouth and not presenting a scintilla of evidence; I've made a number of substantiated points which you have dismissed without consideration while happily going off on inconsequential tangents. You, like your president, are nothing but a demagogue and have thoroughly exposed yourself as such. A wise person would quit, not because he was ahead, but for fear of falling farther and farther behind, but you keep at it. Keep going - I always do enjoy demonstrating my intellectual superiority.

Last edited by highlanderfil; 01-15-2017 at 07:34 PM..

Old 01-15-2017, 07:24 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:

Although, it must be said that the vast majority of people who accuse others of "dropping the race card" do so for one reason and one reason only. Can you guess what that might be?
I have no idea what point you are trying to make. In any case, you said:

This has nothing to do with the fact that a great many supporters of closing down the borders don't know anything about immigration at all (much less the fact that their own ancestors were immigrants, for starters) apart from the fact that they don't like brown (yellow, blue, red, green, pick whichever color you'd like that isn't white) people.

You derided supporters of immigration enforcement and then make clear reference to those same supporters not liking people of the various colors you listed, an obvious reference to race. Then you say that it has nothing to do with race. Which is it?

Old 01-15-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry, was that a bit too much for you to read? I'll dumb my responses down to simple sentences next time.How so? What does legal status have to do with language learning? Or are "illegals" = "uneducated Hispanic field workers" to you with no exceptions?You can stand on anything you'd like - I, likewise, stand by the statement you quoted. The distinction between "their" and "they are" is elementary grammar; there is ample reason to believe that if a person makes this error, it's likely their command over English is fairly severely compromised in other areas as well and, as such, the shoe emblazoned with "can't be bothered to learn the language (s)he is born into" fits.
Don't flatter yourself. Long winded does not equal smart. Verbal diarrhea isn't a sign of great intellect, but brevity often is.

Legal status has PLENTY to do with it. Consider that many legal immigrants have learned formal English (sometimes the UK version, depending on their country of origin) in school since they were eight or nine years old. They may have also used English as adults in the business world before moving to the US. Lumping the two together would be like a potato diet study not distinguishing between participants who eat boiled potatoes vs. those who lived off of french fries processed in lard. The results are not going to be the same because the method is not the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles