Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 09:44 PM

216 posts, read 200,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
These are all really nice neighborhoods, but they have worse transit than some of the other alternatives like Koreatown, Hollywood, Macaurthur Park, Highland Park, and Culver City. What I might suggest is Los Feliz, a borderline bohemian neighborhood just east of Silver lake and west of Hollywood. It has a subway station and is close to everything. It also is at the base of Griffith Park, and has a pleasant mix of homes, apartments, and retail.
I like Los Feliz, especially the restaurants and shops on Vermont. He could also consider living in Studio City or North Hollywood (NoHo). Both have subway stops. While Studio City is a bit pricey, NoHo is more affordable and there's plenty of entertainment and restaurant options in the Magnolia & Lankershim area. And Griffith Park is a short bike or car ride away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
That was my last visit. I used to visit more often in those days. I can't remember the name of the building with the rotating restaurant on the top floor but that was always a great place to take a date for drinks and dinner. I had more business trips to DTLA back in those days too.

These days I don't want to deal with the traffic although I've been toying with the idea of doing downtown via Metrolink. That's one benefit of the Metrolink system is that most lines run to downtown, good if your going downtown, not so good for crosstown.
Come check it out. Jump on Metrolink to Union Station. At Union Station you can catch the Subway Red or Purple Line train. Take that a short distance to Metro Center Station. I suggest you check out "The Last Bookstore" on 5th street. It's a book store and museum all in one. The Grand Central Market of old has also gone through a rebirth, and is very popular with Angelino's and tourist alike. Go check out the new Observation deck on the 69th floor of the U.S Bank Building (formerly Library Tower). It will cost you a few bucks but on a clear day the views are spectacular. And one of my favorite places to see is the Atrium at the LA Central Library. Another of my favorites is the top deck of the Standard Hotel. And the city view is free!!! I could go on and on but you'll have to find out on your own.

BTW the revolving restaurant you spoke of is on the top floor of the Bonaventure Hotel. Back in the day it was a pretty popular place. People rarely speak of it now. The Little Tokyo of 10 years ago has also seen tremendous change. You may not recognize it now. People actually live there. Lot's of them !!! And it's next door to the Arts District, which is one of my favorite downtown neighborhoods.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Based on what you wrote, I think it is more important to nail down that job first before looking at neighborhood you want to live.

And to give you one more thing to consider, if I were you, I'd do a little research and submit my application to Amgen in Newbury Park. There's a college in town, so you'll get an element of culture. The whole of eastern Ventura is very, very safe. Abundant opportunities for outdoor activities, from ocean watersports to mountain sports, (no winter sports, however). At your age, you aren't going to be a 'party animal' much longer before you decide to 'settle down' with that special woman in your life. After the kids come, you won't be so interested in nightlife.

Something to think about.

Spoken like a true suburbanite. You're never to old to have a little fun. Eastern Ventura is wonderful, beautiful, a great place to raise kids, and has a very low crime rate, but it's also a bit boring. He's still a very young man, and if he wants the real LA experience, why not live in LA. There are plenty of places like eastern Ventura up and down the California coast, but there's only one LA.

Last edited by Happy in L.A.; 01-20-2017 at 11:00 PM..

Old 01-21-2017, 05:22 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,101,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in L.A. View Post
BTW the revolving restaurant you spoke of is on the top floor of the Bonaventure Hotel. Back in the day it was a pretty popular place. People rarely speak of it now. The Little Tokyo of 10 years ago has also seen tremendous change. You may not recognize it now. People actually live there. Lot's of them !!! And it's next door to the Arts District, which is one of my favorite downtown neighborhoods.
Okay you convinced me! Little Tokyo was always my favorite part, and I wouldn't mind buying a few more hentai manga!

And yeah the Bonaventure was it. The view is simply amazing! The rotation (about once per hour?) provides an ever changing view but changes slowly enough that you never feel the movement.

I'll put it on my list of things to do this summer when I'm more active than winter.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:51 PM

992 posts, read 874,323 times
Quote:
Spoken like a true suburbanite. You're never to old to have a little fun. Eastern Ventura is wonderful, beautiful, a great place to raise kids, and has a very low crime rate, but it's also a bit boring. He's still a very young man, and if he wants the real LA experience, why not live in LA. There are plenty of places like eastern Ventura up and down the California coast, but there's only one LA.
LOL. Very true, though personally I think it's better to raise kids in the city rather than the suburbs.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
LOL. Very true, though personally I think it's better to raise kids in the city rather than the suburbs.
Well, don't get me wrong, I like Ventura County, especially the City of Ventura. It's beautiful. The best part of taking AmTrack from LA to Santa Barbara is the ride through Ventura. I'm sure I'd feel a lot safer living there than my neighborhood in LA, but the trade off would be things to do. Even if it's just trying out a new restaurant, or going to the museum, or attending a Bernie Sanders rally in Pershing Square. I actually did that twice this year.....LOL

Old 01-22-2017, 07:44 AM

3 posts, read 3,948 times
So....define how not safe the place for that price would be? I'm sort of short in cash now. so i can spend much, but I don't want to get wankes in the street either..

Old 01-22-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Well, don't get me wrong, I like Ventura County, especially the City of Ventura. It's beautiful. The best part of taking AmTrack from LA to Santa Barbara is the ride through Ventura. I'm sure I'd feel a lot safer living there than my neighborhood in LA, but the trade off would be things to do. Even if it's just trying out a new restaurant, or going to the museum, or attending a Bernie Sanders rally in Pershing Square. I actually did that twice this year.....LOL
Ventura is nice. Santa Barbara is nice. Amtrak is nice. everything between Ventura and LA is not nice. I wouldn't want to leave LA though--with its restaurants, museums, and Hillary Clinton rallies (lets not make this political, though.)

Old 01-22-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logansandres View Post
So....define how not safe the place for that price would be? I'm sort of short in cash now. so i can spend much, but I don't want to get wankes in the street either..
LA is fine, safety wise. Ventura County is very safe, LA is safe, but to a slightly lesser degree. Just stay out of a few neighborhoods in South LA (Vermont Square, Hyde Park, etc.)

Old 01-22-2017, 06:20 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,146,388 times
Anyone else find it interesting that OP has gone AWOL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles