Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 12:03 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,344,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Ok, that IS funny. You clearly have never been to a 3rd World Country. You wouldn't know a favela if it hit you in the head.

From an interview Garcetti did on NPR late last year:

"But here in Los Angeles, we have always cooperated with federal immigration officials that a court issues a warrant for."

"We should be focused on violent criminals that are in our midst. And I think no responsible mayor would ever say no to the deportation of folks who have committed violent crimes in their communities who come under our custody. That's something that we do today."

Conflict Over Immigration Brews Between U.S. Cities And Feds : NPR
Wrong. I have been to 3rd world countries , but I'm not showing you my passport(s) .

Cool , so wait until the criminals kill people or commit a violent crime. Great 'policy' that should make everyone feel safe..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 06:41 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,861,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I wouldn't say that Bradley was a good mayor so much as he wasn't repulsive as is Garcetti with his far left ideologies to the point where there's a strong disconnect with large swaths of the population. There are millions of us who do not want homeless people living in our neighborhoods, who do not want angry protesters stopping our cars on the freeways, etc. and Cuckcetti consistently turns a deaf ear to our consternation.
There is nothing the mayor can do to stop people from protesting. And there is no law against being homeless.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:42 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,861,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Wrong. I have been to 3rd world countries , but I'm not showing you my passport(s) .

Cool , so wait until the criminals kill people or commit a violent crime. Great 'policy' that should make everyone feel safe..
Where have you been? I've not seen anything like Skid Row in any of the parts of Latin America I've been to.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:28 AM

626 posts, read 622,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Where have you been? I've not seen anything like Skid Row in any of the parts of Latin America I've been to.
I have been to third world countries in SE Asia and my wife is from one as well. We both agree that there are parts of Los Angeles that look exactly like the slum of Manila to a tee.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:10 AM

4,625 posts, read 3,365,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Skid Row is a civic embarrassment/scar....but it has infrastructure (paved roads, running water, etc.). There are favelas in Brazil completely off the grid.

Also, as I am sure you are aware, the crime rate in Latin America's big cities is far worse than Los Angeles. I am a frequent traveler there and I love visiting. But the violent crime there makes LA look like a walk in the park.

Of course, Skid Row isn't Garcetti's making. The policy of concentrated homelessness has been in place for decades in Los Angeles. And the courts have effectively tied the city's hands. I know you know this but a certain poster (read: the OP) refuses to recognize this. Much more convenient to blame Garcetti.

Last edited by Astral_Weeks; 01-23-2017 at 09:27 AM..

Old 01-23-2017, 09:18 AM

4,625 posts, read 3,365,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
I have been to third world countries in SE Asia and my wife is from one as well. We both agree that there are parts of Los Angeles that look exactly like the slum of Manila to a tee.
I have never been to Manila but just from looking online the worst parts of Manila make Skid Row look pretty decent? See photo below.

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...21-manilla.jpg

Old 01-23-2017, 10:02 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,954,202 times
I love the logic, "Skid row isn't as bad as some of the worst favelas or ghettos in 3rd world countries! Relax guys!"

Old 01-23-2017, 10:26 AM

15 posts, read 14,449 times
San Jose's "the jungle" area is much more 3rd world country than anything in SoCal. It's not a tent city for miles.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:45 AM

626 posts, read 622,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I have never been to Manila but just from looking online the worst parts of Manila make Skid Row look pretty decent? See photo below.
I have been to Manila many times, and other third world countries. Yes, there are bad parts of Manila like the picture you posted which is in actually Pasay that are worse than Los Angeles. But I stick with my overall assumption that aspects of Manila arethe same as many parts of Los Angeles such as trash in the streets, homeless/beggars extorting for money, the crumbling streets, and people ignoring the basic aspects of what a traffic signal/sign means.

How many weeks is there a case of someone ignoring a stop light/sign and just plowing through a intersection and hitting a pedestrian or another car? This happens constantly here in LA which usually on average leads to a death of the pedestrian and a hit/run of the driver. I don't know why that's the case maybe it has something to do with a large amount of people that here illegally from Mexico and Central America.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:59 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,143,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
I have been to Manila many times, and other third world countries. Yes, there are bad parts of Manila like the picture you posted which is in actually Pasay that are worse than Los Angeles. But I stick with my overall assumption that aspects of Manila arethe same as many parts of Los Angeles such as trash in the streets, homeless/beggars extorting for money, the crumbling streets, and people ignoring the basic aspects of what a traffic signal/sign means.

How many weeks is there a case of someone ignoring a stop light/sign and just plowing through a intersection and hitting a pedestrian or another car? This happens constantly here in LA which usually on average leads to a death of the pedestrian and a hit/run of the driver. I don't know why that's the case maybe it has something to do with a large amount of people that here illegally from Mexico and Central America.
Manila is way worse than LA. There's no comparison. I've lived in LA all my life and I've never seen someone go through a stop light and plow through someone. Where are you driving that you see this happening consistently?

Some people on here are very weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles