Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:50 PM

18 posts, read 81,671 times

Advertisements

Hey!

Need some help from all you LA natives....

I am currently in the Bay Area. Born n raised. I will be moving down there for school, which is downtown on S Grand Ave in about a year n will be moving alone (can't do the roommate thing again) and need to know where is the closest, most convenient, and least expensive place to live in Los Angeles near S Grand Ave or the financial district (I think) I go to school in downtown San Francisco now close to the financial district. Anyone familiar with downtown SF and are they pretty similar? Just trying to get an idea of what downtown LA is like.

I see it is pretty clear that I should only consider West Hollywood, and NEVER downtown. I dread the traffic down there...dam. The traffic can be a B***h up here with some loco drivers but I know it's nothing compared to that traffic. I'll be ready though

Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 10:01 PM

98 posts, read 323,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLova View Post
Hey!

Need some help from all you LA natives....

I am currently in the Bay Area. Born n raised. I will be moving down there for school, which is downtown on S Grand Ave in about a year n will be moving alone (can't do the roommate thing again) and need to know where is the closest, most convenient, and least expensive place to live in Los Angeles near S Grand Ave or the financial district (I think) I go to school in downtown San Francisco now close to the financial district. Anyone familiar with downtown SF and are they pretty similar? Just trying to get an idea of what downtown LA is like.

I see it is pretty clear that I should only consider West Hollywood, and NEVER downtown. I dread the traffic down there...dam. The traffic can be a B***h up here with some loco drivers but I know it's nothing compared to that traffic. I'll be ready though

Thx!

If youre gonna be going to school smack dab in the middle of downtown LA I sure hope youre not a nice innocent little white girl.....if your school has classes in the daytime you will be ok......but don't be down there at night!!

but nevertheless youd want to live in the Echo Park or Silverlake area for affordable rates if you have to be in downtown every day.

Downtown LA is not like downtown SF. It is not really a liveable downtown unless you can afford a 2000 a month loft or buy a condo!! only the rich can afford to live in downtown LA........

well the very poor live down there too they just live on the streets. They call it Skid Row.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:01 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,049,694 times
Try Koreatown. If you choose West Hollywood, your best route will be San Vincente to Beverly (make left) all the way downtown you'll be one First St.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:51 PM

18 posts, read 81,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerblaine View Post
If youre gonna be going to school smack dab in the middle of downtown LA I sure hope youre not a nice innocent little white girl.....if your school has classes in the daytime you will be ok......but don't be down there at night!!

but nevertheless youd want to live in the Echo Park or Silverlake area for affordable rates if you have to be in downtown every day.

Downtown LA is not like downtown SF. It is not really a liveable downtown unless you can afford a 2000 a month loft or buy a condo!! only the rich can afford to live in downtown LA........

well the very poor live down there too they just live on the streets. They call it Skid Row.
Well I'm not a little white girl, but I see that doesn't make much difference to the fact that I should take everyone's advice and not move to downtown L.A.

I see that it is nothing like downtown SF either. Its cool, I'd rather stay in the outskirts or mid-city anyway. I never cared too much for the city anyway up here. What about Park La Brea, they have student housing there and I was thinking of just renting an apartment there. Looks nice, I hear its nice, is it far though?

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2008, 11:01 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,060,703 times
Before you decide the neighborhood that you want to live in, you need to decide how long of commute you can handle. Some of the places you mentioned are over a 30 minute drive from downtown and thats with minimal traffic.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:49 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,784,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLova View Post
What about Park La Brea, they have student housing there and I was thinking of just renting an apartment there. Looks nice, I hear its nice, is it far though?
From there you are looking at about a 30-40 minute drive to downtown. West Hollywood will be even farther. Not sure what made you think you should only consider West Hollywood especially if you'll be going Downtown every day.

Silverlake, Echo Park and Koreatown would be good choices. Park La Brea isnt a bad choice as having a 30-40 minute commute is good by LA standards but I'd still suggest you try to find a place thats closer.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 8,109 times
Downtown Los Angeles is not as bad as some have made it see from in the previous posts. Sure, at night its not the best time to be walking around there but everything above Broadway is good. Many times they are filming a movie or commercial in downtown at night or there's an event going on. Have you thought about Little Tokyo?
There are many new apartments, condos, and lofts being built in that area. Its nice as well.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:38 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,049,694 times
Little Tokyo? Why are you send her into the heart of Skid Row? They couldn't give me a condo free and clear to live down there. To the OP, I don't know who told you Park La Brea had student housing, but I've never known it to in the 30 years I've lived here. It could have changed, but just double check. Park La Brea and the surrounding Beverly/Fairfax/Miracle Mile area will be nice and safe. And yes, it will take you about 30-45 min but it will be worth it when you're home and can walk across the street to the Grove.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:23 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,604,424 times
the heart of skid row is not in j-town. when was the last time you people were in skid row? wow thats funny! j-town is a very nice place and will be nucier once the gold line is up and running. get in now while you can. its just on the eastern edge of downtown but north of most of the crummy spots. go check it out. j-town, k-town, silver lake, would all be good options

Old 03-18-2008, 01:31 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,060,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed
Little Tokyo? Why are you send her into the heart of Skid Row? They couldn't give me a condo free and clear to live down there. To the OP, I don't know who told you Park La Brea had student housing, but I've never known it to in the 30 years I've lived here. It could have changed, but just double check. Park La Brea and the surrounding Beverly/Fairfax/Miracle Mile area will be nice and safe. And yes, it will take you about 30-45 min but it will be worth it when you're home and can walk across the street to the Grove.
being near the grove is exactly the reason why i would never live in that area. The Fairfax/3rd intersection is perhaps one of the worst i have been through, up there with hollywood/highland. the only upside to that area and going to school downtown is that you can hop on the beverly blvd rapid bus and it will practically drop you off in front of your school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles