Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 03:36 AM

7 posts, read 6,026 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone !

I've never lived in LA before but I know life is very expensive there,
I've been asked by a company for a yearly rate and my proposition to them was from $48000 to $54000
Does this sounds crazy? logic? can i make it with my wife in LA with that yearly rate?

Thank you so much for you help and time

Have a great weekend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 08:48 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,423,386 times
You also want to tell them that you expect "internal equity". Which more means that you expect to be paid within the same comp range as other employees in the company with similar background and experience. Those who work in the HR Recruiting and Compensation department (if the company has one) would absolutely know what this means.

I say this because often what one may make for a certain job in say BF Ohio, would be thousands less than that same job in Los Angeles (even if its with the same company).

What you also need to do is determine if the company will be helping you with relocation expenses. If they expect you to move from a different state to work for them, they should offer relocation assistance. Only a crappy company would NOT offer this. Where EXACTLY is the company located? You'll need to check rent prices within reasonable commuting distance to help determine if the salary is acceptable or not.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:07 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,825,744 times
First off, you should research average pay in LA for your job and ask for high end but it's too late for that. You should also ask for relocation assistance. A cheap one bedroom apartment in a decent area will start around $1500 so 50k to support 2 people will be doable but on a very tight budget. Where is the job located?

Old 01-28-2017, 10:59 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,048,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerBoy View Post
I've never lived in LA before but I know life is very expensive there...can i make it with my wife in LA with that yearly rate?
Depends on where you want/need to live in 500-square mile LA, depends on your commuting tolerance, depends on if you can live "small," depends on if you have 2 cars, and depends on if you plan to stay childfree

Old 01-28-2017, 12:33 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,163,207 times
Quote:
Hi everyone !

I've been asked by a company for a yearly rate and my proposition to them was from $48000 to $54000
Does this sounds crazy? logic? can i make it with my wife in LA with that yearly rate?

Have a great weekend
Oh, goody, yet another new member starting a thread asking vague questions. Let me whip out my usual toolbelt of clarification:

- What kind of work do you do?
- Where are you moving from?
- Have you ever been to L.A.?
- Do you know where in L.A. you will be working?
- Do you currently or do you plan on having kids, pets, elderly parents or six-foot-tall cacti living with you?

Etc, etc. Give us more info - we'll give you answers. Otherwise prepare for the entire range.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:56 PM

88 posts, read 89,738 times
Yes, you can make it. I know people who made less than 50k and survived in LA.
What is the job?

If the job is $48,000 to wash dishes, it is a good deal.
If the job is $48,000 to do emergency open heart surgery at a hospital, it is a bad deal.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:47 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,990,256 times
$48,000 for two people to live in LA?

You're going to be living in some pretty rough neighborhoods.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:58 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
Depends on your other debts entirely.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:20 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,969,243 times
Quote:
Hi everyone !

Have a great weekend
With your wife? Will she be working? Any kids?

The biggest issue is housing cost. Plan for $1,500-$2,000 a month
Next biggest issue is car, insurance, parking, gas. Insurance is $200 a month. You'll need 2 cars if she works.

Can you live on $400/ week for everything else?

Old 01-30-2017, 12:07 PM

7 posts, read 6,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
You also want to tell them that you expect "internal equity". Which more means that you expect to be paid within the same comp range as other employees in the company with similar background and experience. Those who work in the HR Recruiting and Compensation department (if the company has one) would absolutely know what this means.

I say this because often what one may make for a certain job in say BF Ohio, would be thousands less than that same job in Los Angeles (even if its with the same company).

What you also need to do is determine if the company will be helping you with relocation expenses. If they expect you to move from a different state to work for them, they should offer relocation assistance. Only a crappy company would NOT offer this. Where EXACTLY is the company located? You'll need to check rent prices within reasonable commuting distance to help determine if the salary is acceptable or not.
Thank you Kings Gambit , I didn't know about Internal equity until you mentioned it, I will definitely discuss
it with the HR and see what they can come up with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles