Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 01:25 PM

4 posts, read 4,203 times

Advertisements

Currently renting in Santa Monica and am looking at jobs on the east side and in Orange County.

We have one kid on the way and are wondering if anyone has strong opinions about which area is better for raising kids?

We have lots of friends and activities in Los Angeles, and I think the work out here for my field is much better. Also more earning potential. But housing prices are higher where we're looking (Mt Washington, Glendale, Burbank).

My family lives in Orange County and it looks like a nice place for kids. Ladera Ranch in particular. Fantastic schools, safe neighborhoods, less traffic. But we don't like the cookie cutter houses, lack of walkable downtown areas, and distance from friends.

Anyone else had to make this choice before and have some sage advice? We're really torn and hoping to find new information to tip the scales.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 01:42 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,100,014 times
first off, if you decide to live in LA, i'd go with glendale over mt. washington. the schools in glendale will be much, much better. OC is cookie cutter in many areas, but with a kid and your priorities will change (full disclosure, i have 2 young kids). i used to be a westside guy and wanted only to live there. we bought a house in the valley and got comfortable. i'd still love to live on the westside, but don't want to rent an apartment in order to do so. i have family in OC and love visiting them. i grew up in OC and went to CSUF and used to say i'd never move back. now days, i don't care. give me nice weather and a short commute and i can be happy anywhere. i also considered jobs in OC, but had the same issues as you (less opportunities with less earnings potential). things that made me consider OC were that the schools were much better and the homes were generally newer and larger. you'll probably need the same budget for a home in OC, but it will have a lot of additional value you won't get in LA, from the schools, to the city services, to a generally safer environment.

as for walkable downtowns, there are some in OC. just keep in mind that getting that in LA is extremely pricey. regarding your friends, moving away would be difficult, but little kids are friend making machines.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:02 PM

908 posts, read 1,291,452 times
If you decide to live in the LA area, between Mt. Washington, Glendale, and Burbank, I'd choose Glendale with Burbank as a close 2nd.

I know someone who lives in Mt. Washington and although the area is generally safe and has a very good elementary school from what I hear, the surrounding areas such as Highland Park, Glassell Park, and Cypress Park aren't the greatest of areas and quite run down. Essentially, it's a somewhat nice place surrounding by mostly dumpy areas once you get down to the flats on almost every side with public schools going way downhill once you get to the middle and high school levels.

Glendale and Burbank are both relatively similar in that they are safe overall with above average (but not top notch) public schools. I give Glendale an edge because the downtown is nicer and has experienced a greater influx of more upscale/hip shops and restaurants in the last several years. It has definitely become more walkable and just better overall compared to 10 years ago. And in terms of housing stock, I find it nicer at the higher end especially if you can afford to buy a house in the hills.

OC is a solid place to raise kids with better school districts overall compared to LA. If you can afford to live somewhere like Irvine or Laguna Niguel and have a job relatively close by, I'd take that over Glendale or comparable areas in LA. As you note, a lot of houses can be cookie cutter and don't have many walkable downtown areas, but I'd rather have a nice house with good schools in an area with less hustle and bustle than live in most parts of LA.

What areas in OC are you considering that are in your price range?

Old 02-01-2017, 04:24 PM

Thanks so much for the responses.

SoCal88, we're looking at Ladera Ranch which is where my family is. Got around 650-750 for a big townhome or small SFD. Job would be by John Wayne airport which I'm seeing is a 30min commute on the 73 (not too bad). Or in Laguna which is about the same.

If I were in Glendale there's one place in Glendale I could potentially work, otherwise it's downtown for me.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:13 PM

176 posts, read 175,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottacus View Post

My family lives in Orange County and it looks like a nice place for kids. Ladera Ranch in particular. Fantastic schools, safe neighborhoods, less traffic. But we don't like the cookie cutter houses, lack of walkable downtown areas, and distance from friends.

Thanks in advance.

can't have your cake and eat it too, bro. Anything nice for kids is sanitized and boring. i.e. Disneyland, which happens to be in the OC! coincidence....?

Should a bought a house, then had kids.

Cart. Horse. you know. common sense and all that.

Go to OC, then you can dump the ankle biters with the grandparents and actually enjoy your life. Not working 80 hours a week to pay for having a family.

I seriously lol'ed at raising kids in mt washington.

gawd, why? Why do that to yourself?

Old 02-02-2017, 07:17 PM

What's the problem with raising kids in Mt Washington? I feel like I'm missing something.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:12 PM

176 posts, read 175,415 times
Well first off can you afford private school? would you honestly send children to public schools in that area?

I don't even like kids, but even I wouldn't do that to a child.

Secondly the area is hilly and not too many side walks. My former boss used to live in Mt Washington and he was always saying how impossible it was to walk anywhere while pushing a stroller. It wasn't very walkable at all. IIRC, many of the streets don't have sidewalks in the hillier residential streets. I am assuming that you will be living in the hillier section by your price range....

They ended up moving to burbank and are much, much happier. Better schools, more kid friendly parks and bike paths etc.

When his kid got older, they didn't feel safe letting them ride bikes in the hood. Not because of crime so much, but traffic.

Being so close to the 110 fwy means smog and noise. Not a fan.

Also, have you actually BEEN to Debs Park? yeah, Im terrified there too. I very good friend of mine lives at Via Marisol and Ave 60 and I house sit for him often. While that is technically Monterey Hills or some bull****, it's close enough to know that I don't think I'd really want to raise a kid there.

Also....being close to family is important.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:46 PM

908 posts, read 1,291,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anrev View Post
Well first off can you afford private school? would you honestly send children to public schools in that area?

I don't even like kids, but even I wouldn't do that to a child.

Secondly the area is hilly and not too many side walks. My former boss used to live in Mt Washington and he was always saying how impossible it was to walk anywhere while pushing a stroller. It wasn't very walkable at all. IIRC, many of the streets don't have sidewalks in the hillier residential streets. I am assuming that you will be living in the hillier section by your price range....

They ended up moving to burbank and are much, much happier. Better schools, more kid friendly parks and bike paths etc.

When his kid got older, they didn't feel safe letting them ride bikes in the hood. Not because of crime so much, but traffic.

Being so close to the 110 fwy means smog and noise. Not a fan.

Also, have you actually BEEN to Debs Park? yeah, Im terrified there too. I very good friend of mine lives at Via Marisol and Ave 60 and I house sit for him often. While that is technically Monterey Hills or some bull****, it's close enough to know that I don't think I'd really want to raise a kid there.

Also....being close to family is important.
Couldn't agree more with these comments.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:07 PM

Great points--thanks for the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles