Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 09:35 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,762,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
The opponents of S are more pragmatic and realize the city is growing and the only way to accommodate that growth is to get denser and to build transit while we are growing. I don't want LA to look like Manhattan, and I don't want to get rid of SFH neighborhoods, unless a supermajority of the residents of a neighborhood wanted to change the zoning. But I do think there is room for building taller buildings along major Blvds/Avenues to accommodate growth (Not skyscrapers, just 4-6 stories to replace the 1-2 stories that currently line most of our major thoroughfares). The zoning codes are going to get updated (one thing we can thank Measure S for), but I expect there will be a lot of battles from these same 2 sides as that process moves forward.
This.

I don't necessarily want LA to "look" like NYC or SF, but I don't see why wanting LA to grow into a denser, more sustainable place in the long run = that premise. LA's densest neighborhood (Ktown) is around 40-45k/ sq mile. The vast majority of LA is much lower than that, yet Ktown has half the density of Manhattan. I just don't see how anyone could push the notion that denser development automatically turns LA into Manhattan.

I completely agree with your vision for LA planning, and it's very similar to how I see a working model for LA going forward. Basically, downtown, Hollywood proper, Koreatown, Westlake/MacArthur Park, and a few other already dense areas could easily support a very high density given the transit connections. Then, like you mention, boulevards such as Wilshire, La Brea, Crenshaw, etc. could focus residential density. We can add literally hundreds of thousands of units into the areas I mentioned without having to disrupt the lowrise nature of many areas of the west side, valleys, and gateway cities. Unfortunately Measure S will put a huge hold on any possibility of this future, and given that most people don't understand zoning/planning (rightfully so), the things they think they are fighting will only get worse.

I also worry that once the moratorium is over that the same group who formed the Coalition to Preserve LA will just take matters to court and challenge it as long as they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 10:00 PM

992 posts, read 876,640 times
I think people often forget the preexisting high rise density of Century City and Westwood, and opportunities for growth out there.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:35 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,161,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
No. I think NYC is the least car dependent city, and LA is the seventh least car dependent city. In my opinion, the top 10 LEAST car dependent cities are, in order:
1.NYC
2. DC
3. Chicago
4. San Francisco
5. Boston
6. Philadelphia
7. Los Angeles
8. Seattle
9. Portland
10. San Diego
Whew. All the same, L.A. is nowhere in the top-10 by most statisticians' estimates. I've been to Seattle and San Diego - I would arguably place them above L.A. even on this list, but this isn't a matter of opinion.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:59 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
It seems a major argument of measure S is that the current Mayor and city is corrupt by taking 'donations' (bribes) from developers and then approving these large projects.

I agree this is an issue and unethical but won't the city politicians still be corrupt and engaging in pay for play deals even if Measure S passes?

They could take money from a variety of industries. It seems the money spent would of been better spent backing a candidate that is less corrupt than Garcetti and unseating him.

If this does passes it will be interesting to see what it could mean for the other cities surrounding L.A of course Santa Monica is very anti development already..but if you go to Glendale now you will see tons of building going on of large complexes. I imagine more developers will be looking there to build.

https://ballotpedia.org/Los_Angeles,..._S_(March_2017)

Old 02-14-2017, 04:51 PM

992 posts, read 876,640 times
Do you people actually think Garcetti is corrupt?
PS. While I am against Citizens United, SCOTUS said you can't limit donations to Super PACs. It also is ridiculous to be against developer contributions SPECIFICALLY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles