Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 08:03 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,752,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I think a lot of people think this not passing means L.A will suddenly be affordable for everyone which as you said is not happening .
I don't think anyone thinks that. No one on here has explicitly said that and the Facebook page for this measures opposition group has hundreds of posts/comments where no one has implied that.

By not passing, its business as usual and hopefully city hall can continue to focus on "re:code LA", which massively updates the cities zoning code (Much of the current zoning was last updated in 1946). By doing so, the goal is to make modern development processes much easier and more streamlined. A major reason for seeing mainly luxury housing going up is the fact that LA's permitting process is dauntingly long, and developers are required to sit on those sites for 2-3 years before they can legally break ground. That adds significant cost to the development which in turn, makes luxury the only financially viable option (of course after factoring in other land use regs, the high cost of land, etc.)

I think reasonable people who oppose this measure do so because they know that by passing, it exacerbates what is already bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 09:56 PM

8,496 posts, read 10,907,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
I'm not so sure. Unions everywhere oppose the measure as it can deeply affect construction employment over the next 3-4 years. I wouldn't be surprised if all of them were strongly urging their employees to get out and vote. But who knows.
Urging them to get out and vote is one thing, them actually taking the time to go to the pools and vote is quite another.
I would venture a guess that if you stopped people on the street between the ages of 18, and 30, most not only don't vote in off years, but measure s would be completely unknown to them

Seniors keep up with current events, and they DO vote on off years.
Bob.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:47 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,752,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Urging them to get out and vote is one thing, them actually taking the time to go to the pools and vote is quite another.
I would venture a guess that if you stopped people on the street between the ages of 18, and 30, most not only don't vote in off years, but measure s would be completely unknown to them

Seniors keep up with current events, and they DO vote on off years.
Bob.
I do understand that and hence I am a bit worried.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:49 PM

8,496 posts, read 10,907,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
I do understand that and hence I am a bit worried.
I think if you are in favor of S being defeated, you should be worried.

I first learned of S a while back at my local super market.
A woman (senior) had a table set up outside the store entrance, and was asking people to sign her petition to get S on the ballot.
We talked for a while, and she told me there were many seniors in other parts of the city doing exactly what she was doing, getting people signed up to put S on the ballot.

Like I said earlier, seniors get involved in things like this, while the younger folks are too busy living life, and raising families to get involved with the operations of a city.
I could be wrong, but I believe S will prevail.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles