Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 08:30 AM

992 posts, read 875,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
"Not that bad developing nation "?
Well, nobody says second world anymore, but that is what it is--along the lines of China, Russia, Brazil, Peru, Colombia, eastern Europe, etc. Not third world, but not first world either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 09:07 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
It's inevitable but we'll all probably be long gone by the time LA's culture truly infiltrates the South OC.
I hope you're right. The type of people who would put someone like Garcetti into office wouldn't be the type of neighbors I'd want.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:09 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Ever been to the slums of Mumbai, the favelas of Rio De Janeiro, and the villages of Cameroon. I have, and the very worst of LA is nothing close to the conditions there.
You're saying Skid Row in Los Angeles doesn't look like a Dystopian horror film? You obviously have never spent time there.

These look like film screenshots from Book of Eli:

The ACTUAL film set for Book of Eli:

Old 03-02-2017, 04:14 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Way too suburban and shapeless.
You need to get out this way more often. It takes several visits (at least) to get some idea of the shape of the place, as it would for LA or any other highly populated area.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:46 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
You're saying Skid Row in Los Angeles doesn't look like a Dystopian horror film? You obviously have never spent time there.

These look like film screenshots from Book of Eli:

The ACTUAL film set for Book of Eli:
Not trying to push this silly argument further, and not trying to make excuses for LA considering it's in a way league economically from Mumbai or Rio, but the favelas or the slums in parts of Africa and India make skid row look like Mayberry.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:44 PM

197 posts, read 199,550 times
Those pictures tell the true story. Most of you are in denial. This is normal among super liberal Dumbokrats. Where I live you see no home less but I live near the Keys. I am soooo glad I DON'T live out there in third world Kalufurnya!

Old 03-03-2017, 12:07 AM

992 posts, read 875,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Intelligence View Post
Those pictures tell the true story. Most of you are in denial. This is normal among super liberal Dumbokrats. Where I live you see no home less but I live near the Keys. I am soooo glad I DON'T live out there in third world Kalufurnya!
This is a map of the United States, with states sized to show property value. While there is no state called Kalufurnya, California's property values are exceptional. Hardly 3rd world.

PS. Nobody said anything about their political beliefs, and though I am a hard-core Clintonista, that is hardly relevant.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:40 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
This is a map of the United States, with states sized to show property value. While there is no state called Kalufurnya, California's property values are exceptional. Hardly 3rd world.

PS. Nobody said anything about their political beliefs, and though I am a hard-core Clintonista, that is hardly relevant.
How often do you travel to other city and states in the United States .
The fact that property values are so expensive in L.A and CA while the conditions are so relatively bad makes things worse . Where does all the tax money go ?

Yesterday Garcetti promoted a program that will repair sidewalks .. over the next 30 years.
This means there will be a lot of people dead before their sidewalk is repaired .

If you think the conditions in L.A and level of city services are acceptable I can't imagine you've seen how things are run in other cities .
You don't have to go far either just check out Burbank , Pasadena or Glendale etc

There is a drastic difference .

I guess some get off on the "grit" but that can get old after a while especially when you are paying a premium to live in L.A versus most other places in America .

Old 03-03-2017, 08:46 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Intelligence View Post
I am not keen on Democratic dominated Sacramento either, but I would point out that Florida has its fair share of the third world in Miami and elsewhere.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:53 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:

Let's just stick to talking about LA and OC. I would say that in these places property values would be much higher if we did not have vast swathes of LA (and even north OC) resembling the developing world due to replacement of the previous populations. Places like the IE would never have taken off as they did if LA had been more livable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles