Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 04:40 PM

33 posts, read 72,088 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to California. Looking at cities between Beverly Hills and Orange (due to my and my husband's jobs). Living within 15 minutes to the beach is a requirement.

Is Redondo Beach a safe, family-friendly place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 04:52 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,296,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spontaneous_traveler View Post
We are relocating to California. Looking at cities between Beverly Hills and Orange (due to my and my husband's jobs). Living within 15 minutes to the beach is a requirement.

Its family friendly but not traffic friendly. It would guarantee a horrible commute for both of you. I would never do a Redondo to Beverly Hills commute. One would experience the worst of LA traffic everyday.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Its family friendly but not traffic friendly. It would guarantee a horrible commute for both of you. I would never do a Redondo to Beverly Hills commute. One would experience the worst of LA traffic everyday.
Ahhh, that is good to know! Thank you for that tip! Any suggestions on where to live between Beverly Hills and Orange near the beach? Or am I just SOL?

Old 03-05-2017, 07:29 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,789 times
I don't want to rain on your parade but have you ever lived close to an ocean beach before? There are downsides to it like the marine layer, traffic congestion, etc not to mention the cost.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I don't want to rain on your parade but have you ever lived close to an ocean beach before? There are downsides to it like the marine layer, traffic congestion, etc not to mention the cost.
I have not lived near an ocean before, but you didn't answer my question about the best places to live between Orange and Beverly Hills? I am well aware of traffic, weather and the cost of living.

A little help or advice would be useful, which is why I'm on the forum.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:22 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,797,640 times
Quote:
Would this be plausible, given the two jobs would be 40 miles apart?? If so, where would be the best place/town to live between Orange, CA, and The Grove that would offer the two of us the shortest commute....? Or should I just cancel this interview because it's not plausible since we don't want to commute more than an hour each way ?

Musts:

2-bedroom rental for $3,000/month or less
Family-friendly (we have one young child)
Good schools
Safe neighborhood/low crime
Would LOVE to be close-ish to a beach!!

I'd say Redondo or El Segundo is as good as it will get for you to keep both of your drives to an hour and only 15 minutes for the beach.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:26 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,296,932 times
Quote:
Or am I just SOL?
There are no great choices in this case. The traffic on the 405 north by LAX and the west side is insidious. The traffic on alternate routes like LaCienga is also horrible.

A logical choice with great schools is Cerritos. This will minimize the total number of miles for both commutes. It is not 15 minutes to the beach but its not like you are stuck in Rancho Cucamonga either.

Google maps says its 20 minutes to Seal Beach.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Seal...1!2d33.8583483

Maybe look at Belmont Shore. It will give the Orange commuter a much easier commute. It is farther to Beverly Hills but at least there will be several route choices depending on traffic.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:35 PM

8 posts, read 24,670 times
Looks like it will be a bad commute for both of you, but to your originally question, Redondo Beach is safe and a friendly place for kids. It is split into two sections North and South Redondo. South Redondo is closer to the beach, while North Redondo is more inland (most places are less than 3 miles from the beach). A lot of young families have moved into North Redondo over the years and there are a lot of activities for kids.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:08 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,626,382 times
Quote:
Ahhh, that is good to know! Thank you for that tip! Any suggestions on where to live between Beverly Hills and Orange near the beach? Or am I just SOL?
You are SOL. You will not have a good drive to either location, no matter what.

And yes, Redondo Beach is a good area.

From Redondo it will be at least an hour rush hour drive for each of you.

That said, I don't know ANY community that will be a good drive for either of you.

As far as getting to BH, its 405N or La Brea north, and no way around that at all. It sucks.

To Orange, I think you don't have much problem on the 405 south and the 91 or 22 east until you get into OC, but I'm not so familiar with that drive.

FWIW, Torrance may be a slightly better fit as its easier to find housing and it will put slightly more balance on the drive(Orange is further, but more traffic). I know with certainty you can find 2bd/2ba apartments under $2k/mo and you can also find Townhome style places with 2-3 bds, 2ba, 1500+ sq ft and include a garage for under $2500/mo. Torrance(albeit the far west end of it) by Redondo Beach also features the most scenic beach in South Bay(Torrance Beach) albeit not as fun to play in due to the large amounts of seaweed.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:18 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,626,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
I'd say Redondo or El Segundo is as good as it will get for you to keep both of your drives to an hour and only 15 minutes for the beach.

This isn't a half bad suggestion. Its close to the 105 which should be a reverse commute eastbound in the morning and puts OP closer to BH which is the tougher drive. I am not sure that El Segundo will be a budget fit though. The Westside went completely insane starting around two years ago and the further away you get, the cheaper it is. Hence Torrance is much cheaper than Westchester, despite having way better public schools and a safer overall community. I'm not sure how much of that pricing hit into El Segundo rents.

OP, just for reference, Google Maps is showing a 50 minute drive and 40 miles from Orange to El Segundo using the 405 and 57 minutes using the 91 and 105. Its also showing a 44-51 minute drive from BH to El Segundo. Right now its 415 in the afternoon on a Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles