Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 08:23 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Keep in mind the term is "AMERICAN dream". USA citizens should have the right to fulfull the American dream. Not mexicans, or armenians or central americans or arabs. The USA is about the US citizens first and foremost. Let there be no doubt I DO favor discrimination in our country US citizens should be treated above those who are not.
Hang on, let me check my url, make sure I didn't somehow wonder into stormfront.org..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 08:30 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,399 times
The question is very relative.

Places like LA and Silicon Valley still represent a dream for those looking to make it big in entertainment or to launch a tech startup. Those dreams are still very well alive and will remain as the long as the entertainment and tech industries are here. You've always going to have folks willing to take a chance and risk it out here.

And as long as the sun keeps shining, people will keeping coming to places like LA, SF, OC, and San Diego. Especially young, single people who are not tied down by anything and can get by on lower salaries especially if they don't mind having roommates.

The main issue I see is trying to attract white collar workers with families. If you've got a nice, big 3-4 bedroom home somewhere like metro Houston or Atlanta that is in a safe area with good schools where your mortgage is under control, why come to CA unless you're getting a big salary jump or are willing to sacrifice less house, etc. because you very highly value good weather and/or really want a lifestyle change.

My best advice to young people who want to own a house as soon as possible is to live with your parents for as long as you can if feasible with your school or job (unless you just can't stand your parents or you've got a set of parents who are one of those "you're out of the house at 18" types) and don't waste money on a private school education if you don't have. Sure, getting a business degree at USC or engineering degree at Stanford is a great investment that will generally reap good rewards down the line. However, majoring in gender studies at $60K/year liberal arts school is a great way to bury yourself in debt (unless you have wealthy parents). Not to knock those majors, but it would be better to do that at a good UC school for less than half the cost.

If you're smart about your money by not wasting money on unnecessary living expenses and start investing in yourself via education and making basic investments early on where you are not burdened by having to financially take of parents etc., the California dream definitely more attainable.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:33 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times
Quote:
Keep in mind the term is "AMERICAN dream". USA citizens should have the right to fulfull the American dream. Not mexicans, or armenians or central americans or arabs. The USA is about the US citizens first and foremost. Let there be no doubt I DO favor discrimination in our country US citizens should be treated above those who are not.
You do have the right to fulfill the American Dream or the California Dream or any dream you wish in this great country of ours , but instead you choose to discriminate and focus on negativity. In that case, the dream is indeed over for you fellow CD poster.

As most I am sure would, I do agree that cost of living is out of control here, I think this really affects young family's perception of the "California Dream" as it seem unreachable for many.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:23 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,393,640 times
Quote:
Your exclusionary ethnic statement aside, would you just cut this crap about the American Dream already.

Like the late great George Carlin said, "They call it the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-14SllPPLxY

Old 03-06-2017, 09:47 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
It's still there but much harder to find, even for the wealthy. While the wealthy can afford a nice single family home on a wide street, they cannot afford to keep crowds off the beaches or the freeways.

I remember when I still lived there I tried taking my child to Huntington Beach on a weekend like I used to do 30 years ago. We couldn't find parking less than almost a mile away. I gave up after 30 minutes because my child was too small to walk that far and help carry our gear. Dream over in that sense, but if we kept trying at different times and days we might manage to make it a few times.

Point is, California has worsened and people who didn't live there 30+ years ago like I did will never know how good it was.
By any chance, have you watched any episodes of the show Gidget lately? I watched a few just a couple years ago on Youtube, and it's remarkable how much has changed since that show was made. Your mentioning a trip to the beach reminded me of that.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:53 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,772 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
There are plenty of Mexicans and Armenians and Arabs who also happen to be US citizens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Hang on, let me check my url, make sure I didn't somehow wonder into stormfront.org..
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
You do have the right to fulfill the American Dream or the California Dream or any dream you wish in this great country of ours , but instead you choose to discriminate and focus on negativity. In that case, the dream is indeed over for you fellow CD poster.

As most I am sure would, I do agree that cost of living is out of control here, I think this really affects young family's perception of the "California Dream" as it seem unreachable for many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Your exclusionary ethnic statement aside, would you just cut this crap about the American Dream already.

Like the late great George Carlin said, "They call it the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-14SllPPLxY
According to a Washington Post poll, more than half of second-generation immigrants (i.e., those born in the United States to non-native parents or, more affectionately, "anchor babies") of Mexican, Cuban, Haitian, Vietnamese and West Indian heritage did NOT refer to themselves as "Americans" and said America was NOT the best country in the world.

We need to prioritize the admission of legal immigrants based their love for America, their support for American customs and ideals and their desire to not only live in this amazing, beautiful and munificent nation, but to assimilate to our American culture and way of life.

If you're an immigrant and hate America and/or have no desire to assimilate into mainstream American society (e.g., speaking English, having a small family, working hard and earning an honest living, etc.), then you should get the Hell out of this country and go back to whatever Third World hellhole you crawled out of. We in America have no room for you in our country/culture.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:48 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,900,710 times
Well, the Golden Age is dead, that's for sure. By Golden Age, I mean from around the 1920s to 1970s, but especially the second part, post-World War II.

If you want to see how beautiful California was, watch old TV shows and movies on YouTube. The genre doesn't matter. Dragnet, The Invaders, The Sixth Sense, Ghost Story/Circle of Fear.

I watch these shows partially for glimpses of old Los Angeles. Beautiful, middle class suburban homes in non-crowded, non-crime areas. Freeways that flow. A pristine downtown area. Pristine parks and beaches.

John and Ken are correct. We're still using much of the same infrastructure that was built in the 1950s to 1970s. Some of it even older. The same houses, same sidewalks, same highways, same dams.

The population has grown in the past 40 years, but our infrastructure hasn't. We haven't built much that is new. We haven't even maintained the old.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:47 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,393,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
According to a Washington Post poll, more than half of second-generation immigrants (i.e., those born in the United States to non-native parents or, more affectionately, "anchor babies") of Mexican, Cuban, Haitian, Vietnamese and West Indian heritage did NOT refer to themselves as "Americans" and said America was NOT the best country in the world.

We need to prioritize the admission of legal immigrants based their love for America, their support for American customs and ideals and their desire to not only live in this amazing, beautiful and munificent nation, but to assimilate to our American culture and way of life.

If you're an immigrant and hate America and/or have no desire to assimilate into mainstream American society (e.g., speaking English, having a small family, working hard and earning an honest living, etc.), then you should get the Hell out of this country and go back to whatever Third World hellhole you crawled out of. We in America have no room for you in our country/culture.
Let's see a link to the Wash. Post poll?

Bert: Please don't tell me you are one of those east coast guys with Italian or Irish roots? About half of the early Italian immigrants "loved" America so much that they returned to Italy (abandoning their "adopted" country).

The Pew Center did a survey of "second generation" Americans (see link below). Their findings were that over 60 percent of the second-generation with Asian or Hispanic heritage thought of themselves as a "typical American."

Hard Work:
The survey also found that about three-quarters of second-generation Hispanics (78%) and Asian Americans (72%) say that most people can get ahead if they’re willing to work hard. By contrast, only 58% of the broader U.S. adult population shares the same view. Will the real Americans please stand up?

English Proficiency:
About nine-in-ten second-generation Hispanic and Asian-American immigrants are proficient English speakers. Hardly anything to be alarmed about.

Second-Generation Americans | Pew Research Center

Old 03-07-2017, 08:04 AM

363 posts, read 557,603 times
Quote:
You tell your opinion? Is it a thing of the past? I think so. There is too much immigration for sure. California has been overrun. The politicians see them as future voters so they let them right in. But at what about the unintended (or intended) consequences? Its like the whole state is operating on a Band-Aid whose adhesion is slowly losing its stickiness.

-Cost of living skyrocketing as demand outpaces supply
-More sprawl because of increased population (all due to immigration as I don't see that many families with more than 3 kids anymore)
-Traffic problems as no roads are built or maintained
-Culture clashes between all the languages and ethnicities who clearly do not care to integrate.
Sound like you're speaking about Los Angeles in particular. I don't see that here in Chico/Redding/Orville area.

You're going to have a Ton of Latino Americans in California period. It's been that way forever, you're never going to change that.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:40 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Well, the Golden Age is dead, that's for sure. By Golden Age, I mean from around the 1920s to 1970s, but especially the second part, post-World War II.

If you want to see how beautiful California was, watch old TV shows and movies on YouTube. The genre doesn't matter. Dragnet, The Invaders, The Sixth Sense, Ghost Story/Circle of Fear.

I watch these shows partially for glimpses of old Los Angeles. Beautiful, middle class suburban homes in non-crowded, non-crime areas. Freeways that flow. A pristine downtown area. Pristine parks and beaches.

John and Ken are correct. We're still using much of the same infrastructure that was built in the 1950s to 1970s. Some of it even older. The same houses, same sidewalks, same highways, same dams.

The population has grown in the past 40 years, but our infrastructure hasn't. We haven't built much that is new. We haven't even maintained the old.
Yeah that is true. So much has been wasted over those years that infrastructure could of been built without tax increases.
The illegal immigration issue is costing CA a fortune too even though the media and our politicians want to hide that fact and make it seem like illegals are the backbone of our economy.

CA gives a disproportionate amount in welfare versus other states.

There are also way too many sweetheart deals with the unions and pension systems.

Abuse of overtime seems very rampant too.

Story here of a janitor in the bay area that makes $270k a year AND sleeps on the job.

Cameras catch BART janitor who made $270,000 in a year spending hours in Powell St. closet - SFGate

All these things add up.
This is the type of thing that makes people lose trust in government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles