Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 09:34 PM

1,156 posts, read 941,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
In all earnest, I think voting in L.A. elections should be restricted to people who were born in this city, rather than people who migrate here and then have the utter gaul to start demanding things. If we didn't have all these grubby new people selfishly voting themselves stuff, we'd have lower taxes, Measure S would have passed, etc.
Maybe it would have been different if more than 11% of eligible voters even bothered to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 10:33 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,762,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
Maybe it would have been different if more than 11% of eligible voters even bothered to vote.
You mean if more young people voted? Measure S probably would have been destroyed more than it already was if that were the case.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:37 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,762,488 times
Quote:
In all earnest, I think voting in L.A. elections should be restricted to people who were born in this city, rather than people who migrate here and then have the utter gaul to start demanding things. If we didn't have all these grubby new people selfishly voting themselves stuff, we'd have lower taxes, Measure S would have passed, etc.
Yeah, I'm sure all 172k people who voted against it are all transplants, and those 77k people who voted for it are all native Angeleno's. Please tell me how you can back that claim up. Maybe there are natives who (gasp!) don't agree with you?

Old 03-09-2017, 10:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Who are all these people you speak about?

Did you bother to check the voter turn out? Hardly anyone voted, least not the 28 year old hipster in skinny jeans residing in Silverlake the last year or two. They're too busy taking selfies and texting their friends back in Iowa "dude I'm wearing shorts in March". I guess those would be skinny jean shorts, with a hat on of course.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:00 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Yeah, I'm sure all 172k people who voted against it are all transplants, and those 77k people who voted for it are all native Angeleno's. Please tell me how you can back that claim up. Maybe there are natives who (gasp!) don't agree with you?
LOL....I find when I talk to younger recent transplants they have no interest in politics for the most part, and certainly not local politics.

For one thing many don't plan on being long term residents. You will come across some that don't even know who Eric Garcetti is, never mind what district they live in.

Not all of course, but many. They don't see themselves living here even in say 3 years, so they don't care.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:08 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Quote:
You mean if more young people voted? Measure S probably would have been destroyed more than it already was if that were the case.
Mentality is different these days. Younger folks don't care too much about traditional American suburban living. Hell, less of us care about driving these days. Many of my friends get around L.A. without a car. The suburbanization It was more of a 1950s phase that stayed until this past decade.

Don't get me wrong. Eventually most would wanna settle in a house some day. I think it's just mainly because it feels unreachable that we don't think too much about it.

But I think most people figured that the whole idea of:

"A new type of city, based not on the man, but on the automobile. The car, symbol of freedom and vitality. Where every man can own his own home and have room to breathe and not be overlooked by his neighbors. A city where a man's home is his castle. A quarter acre of the dream made possible by the victory. A city of opportunists. A city of dreams where Hollywood will shape the thoughts and desires of the entire planet. A city of pioneers. A city of dreamers. A city of undercurrents, where not everything is as it seems. A twentieth century city that will become a model for the world. A city that has no boundaries, that will stretch as far as the eye can see."

No longer works. Of course you can still get it, but not anymore in a major metropolis like Los Angeles. Continually trying to pretend to be something it no longer is.

So yeah, most are mad that the L.A. they once knew is gone.

They created what you loved and an American dream many wanted. Well, that's what brought up the population.

Now people see Los Angeles as "THE BIG CITY". Because that's what it feels like now. It's exciting, energetic and full of hustle and bustle. It's evolution. It was inevitable.

Voting for S was essentially keeping L.A. from spreading her wings.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
In defence of the transplants. Infact, me being sort of a double transplant. I've left and saw greener pastures. Came back and wanted the same for here. This is my city and I want to see it get better.

I'm glad we have transplants from the east coast. A multitude of different ideas to shape the city instead of one stagnant singular mentality that can't let go of the past.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:12 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
LOL....I find when I talk to younger recent transplants they have no interest in politics for the most part, and certainly not local politics.

For one thing many don't plan on being long term residents. You will come across some that don't even know who Eric Garcetti is, never mind what district they live in.

Not all of course, but many. They don't see themselves living here even in say 3 years, so they don't care.
Yeah this is a big issue for sure . Lot's of younger people seem to jump between different cities .
Unlikely they'll show much interest in local politics .

Also you have areas with large numbers of illegal immigrants too which can't even vote so that doesn't help matters either .

Old 03-09-2017, 11:13 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
In defence of the transplants. Infact, me being sort of a double transplant. I've left and saw greener pastures. Came back and wanted the same for here. This is my city and I want to see it get better.

I'm glad we have transplants from the east coast. A multitude of different ideas to shape the city instead of one stagnant singular mentality that can't let go of the past.
Where was the greener pasture ? NYC?

Old 03-09-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Where was the greener pasture ? NYC?
Not NYC in itself. But aspects of it that it does alot better than L.A. And not just NY, but also cities like Chicago(granted we need not imitate it's murder rate).

Like transit and urbanization. I'm not saying L.A. has to look like Manhattan, but we got the privilege of having the best of both worlds.
The biggest mistake ever made for L.A. was not having an immediate replacement for the street cars. Of course it was different thinking back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles