U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 11:03 AM

77,808 posts, read 94,163,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliblue View Post
I can't vouch for these, but Google came up with this:

Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District
San Marino Unified School District
Manhattan Beach Unified School District
La Canada Unified School District
Irvine Unified School District
South Pasadena Unified School District
Arcadia Unified School District
Los Alamitos Unified School District
Oak Park Unified School District
Redondo Beach Unified School District

https://www.niche.com/k12/rankings/p...es-metro-area/

For what it is worth, that does seem to jibe pretty well with my own observations, although mine are based on anecdotal and general impressions.
I would pretty much agree with that. I might add Glendora but they are pretty far out of the Los Angeles area even though they are in the county Of course the cost of property often corresponds with the school district ratings.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 01:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
OP (KellyHoward1), the GreatSchools link posted in post #2 of this thread is your best source for school ratings.
Thanks

Old 03-15-2017, 09:20 AM

490 posts, read 571,417 times
I would also add Beverly Hills Unified School District and Hermosa Beach City School District to that list

Old 03-17-2017, 08:44 PM

83 posts, read 94,887 times
yeah i've heard palos verdes & manhattan beach. the irony is many people i know in those areas send their kids to chadwick which is $40k/year even though they are in one of the best school districts. go figure.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:50 PM

907 posts, read 1,067,858 times
Usually, the only reason I've seen folks who live in an area with a good public school system decide to put their kids in private school is because of negative social issues like high drug use, heavy peer pressure or if people want to send their kids to a faith-based school. Otherwise, it makes no sense.

For instance, I knew someone in NorCal who was at a good public high school, but even amongst the high achievers there were a fair number of potheads or kids who were heavy into partying. There are a few exceptional kids who can work hard / party hard and end up getting into a good college (even though their personal life may become a mess later on), but there are a lot of average kids who are on a decent path and then get sucked into the party element and their grades end up slipping. Not that a private school may not have these issues, but there are probably some where these issues may be less pronounced.

In terms of public high schools schools in LA county, San Marino, LA Canada, and Peninsula are among the best.

In the city of LA proper, you've got a couple solid charters / magnets like Granada Hills Charter High School and Sherman Oaks Center for Enriched Studies, but otherwise, LAUSD especially at the high school level is fairly abysmal.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:36 AM

119 posts, read 133,912 times
People confuse high student test scores as a good school. It primarily means they are attended by good students who have driven parents that value education. Schools aren't that much different from one to another. All have board certified teachers.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:03 AM

22,147 posts, read 19,942,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblazen View Post
People confuse high student test scores as a good school. It primarily means they are attended by good students who have driven parents that value education.
Absolutely true. And when a student is surrounded by other motivated students, h/she will work to that level, and vice versa, thus maintaining the "good school" or "bad school" ranking.

Quote:
Schools aren't that much different from one to another. All have board certified teachers.
They are very different. And many private schools, including parochial schools, do not require teacher certification. Yet they rank higher than most public schools.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:53 AM

83 posts, read 94,887 times
Palos Verdes has the best school district, but I don't know if I would consider that truly "LA". It is borderline LA/OC for me. Manhattan Beach is great too.

For something more central "LA" and less South Bay, I would say Culver City has a great school district.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:37 PM

992 posts, read 712,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan80 View Post
Palos Verdes has the best school district, but I don't know if I would consider that truly "LA". It is borderline LA/OC for me. Manhattan Beach is great too.

For something more central "LA" and less South Bay, I would say Culver City has a great school district.
Agreed. I would add South Pasadena and Beverly Hills to that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles