Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 03:52 PM

179 posts, read 155,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water4Life View Post
I have considered places like Austin, Dallas and Houston, but who am I kidding, I could NEVER be happy in Texas. In all honesty, I have no interest in dealing with the closed-mindedness that accompanies living in such a hillbilly/redneck backwards state!
I'm like you. I want to eventually end up in LA. Right now I just moved to outside of Dallas for my job. I don't find Texas redneck at all. The problem for me is that everyone drives here, all the time. And yes, I understand that you have to drive everywhere in LA as well. But in TX it takes forever to get anywhere because of the distances. Drive west five hours from where I am and I'm in Lubbock. In LA, I can get to Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, the beach. Another thing I don't like about TX is that where I am there is no outdoor activity. People have no interest in hiking, walking, or doing any outdoor activities (unless it involves driving to a restaurant). That's what I've found, and it's not the place for me.

Now, I visited LA many times and it has always felt like home to me. Yes, I understand visiting and living are two different things. But sometimes you just get a feeling. LA is where I want to be in my soul, whereas my soul does not want to be in TX, at all. I will get to LA eventually.

Good luck OP, like you said life is too short - go where you feel you need to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 04:04 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
"I make a six figure income and initially had plans to relocate to Southern California (since I work from home, I can technically live anywhere in the U.S.). I'm now considering TX (specifically Austin or Dallas) because the cost of living is lower compared to the northeast, and much of the West Coast.

I figure that with the additional money saved, I'll be able to take a few extended trips every year to San Diego. "

OP, You literally just said the above less than two weeks ago, are you changing you're mind by the day?

Last edited by jacktravern; 03-12-2017 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: Quotation marks

Old 03-12-2017, 05:25 PM

992 posts, read 875,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
I understand that you have to drive everywhere in LA as well.
Not really. It depends where you live. I live downtown, and choose not to have a car. I'm a couple of blocks from a grocery store, a vast array of restaurants and stores, and a couple of blocks from four separate metro lines.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:50 PM

209 posts, read 220,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
"I make a six figure income and initially had plans to relocate to Southern California (since I work from home, I can technically live anywhere in the U.S.). I'm now considering TX (specifically Austin or Dallas) because the cost of living is lower compared to the northeast, and much of the West Coast.

I figure that with the additional money saved, I'll be able to take a few extended trips every year to San Diego. "

OP, You literally just said the above less than two weeks ago, are you changing you're mind by the day?
Most of my immediate family initially suggested Austin as an L.A. alternative, but I've decided to carry through with my plans to relocate to L.A., once my lease ends.

I was trying to do what was practical and most affordable (in terms of purchasing property), but in truth, what's the sense of owning property and living in an area, if you don't really want to be there?

Old 03-12-2017, 06:00 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Houston is the best overall city in Texas and if it was in California it could hold its own with Los Angeles.( so much Saudi money in Houston) wealthy city and the housing stock makes Los Angeles look like a third world city, great restaurants. Houston is the result of Los Angeles and New Orleans having a baby.
Houston is nothing like LA. For one thing it is incredibly humid. I was visiting there one year and it was the month of March, it was already hot and sticky and overcast. It's also flat as a pancake. The only possible similarity is the freeway system(which is much smaller) and the downtown skyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
I'm like you. I want to eventually end up in LA. Right now I just moved to outside of Dallas for my job. I don't find Texas redneck at all. The problem for me is that everyone drives here, all the time. And yes, I understand that you have to drive everywhere in LA as well. But in TX it takes forever to get anywhere because of the distances. Drive west five hours from where I am and I'm in Lubbock. In LA, I can get to Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, the beach. Another thing I don't like about TX is that where I am there is no outdoor activity. People have no interest in hiking, walking, or doing any outdoor activities (unless it involves driving to a restaurant). That's what I've found, and it's not the place for me.

Now, I visited LA many times and it has always felt like home to me. Yes, I understand visiting and living are two different things. But sometimes you just get a feeling. LA is where I want to be in my soul, whereas my soul does not want to be in TX, at all. I will get to LA eventually.

Good luck OP, like you said life is too short - go where you feel you need to be.
That's not quite true. I know two people who live here in their 40s and neither have cars and are both long term residents. One never drove here the other had medical issues and the state of CA said no more driving, but gets around with mass transit.

In talking to some younger people who have recently moved here a few of them don't have cars.

It really depends on where you live and where you work.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:59 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

That's not quite true. I know two people who live here in their 40s and neither have cars and are both long term residents. One never drove here the other had medical issues and the state of CA said no more driving, but gets around with mass transit.

In talking to some younger people who have recently moved here a few of them don't have cars.

It really depends on where you live and where you work.
As crazy and as tough as it is, this is kind of true. My dad lived his first four years car-less and unlicesned in LA and at some point for about another 5-6 years, living in areas such as Inglewood, Gardena and the the Valley. I think the guy had the entire LA bus route and train times memorized. Said it once took him 3+ hours to get from Winnetka to Santa Monica. Although now that he's been driving again for the past few years he describes the whole experience as a bad nightmare that he can't believe he even lived
to tell about

But it can be done. Sometimes ur finances dictate that you have no choice and some folks absolutely hate driving.

Last edited by jacktravern; 03-12-2017 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 03-14-2017, 10:00 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,948 times
Quote:
I have considered places like Austin, Dallas and Houston, but who am I kidding, I could NEVER be happy in Texas. In all honesty, I have no interest in dealing with the closed-mindedness that accompanies living in such a hillbilly/redneck backwards state!
Quote:
But it's in TX...
Quote:
I simply can't see myself living in TX or NC. I've never really cared for the close-minded people that tend to inhabit those locations. Also, as a single woman, (even though I'm admittingly a home body) I would be bored to death living in an area filled with soul-less malls, fast food stores and no real culture. Additionally, I value my health and tend to prefer to live around health conscious people, who eat healthy and live active life styles.

Based on my multiple visits to L.A., I believe I would be better suited on the West Coast. I was amazed by all of the healthy food and yoga options. Heck, if I relocated, I would strongly consider becoming a full fledged vegan. I have also thought about adopting a puppy.
Let's see...

Closeminded
Anti-Texas
Values health
Doesn't seem to understand the homeless issue
Yoganista
Already "bragging" about being a vegan.

Yeah...you'll fit in just fine around here.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:37 AM

209 posts, read 220,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Let's see...

Closeminded
Anti-Texas
Values health
Doesn't seem to understand the homeless issue
Yoganista
Already "bragging" about being a vegan.

Yeah...you'll fit in just fine around here.
I'm far from close minded. I simply prefer coastal cities. It can be costly but the quality of life is often better than in other parts of the country.

As an aside, I do understand the homeless issue better than most. Perhaps you confused my posting with another person's postings?

Lastly, I NEVER bragged about being vegan, because at this point, I'm more or less a pescatarian. A pescatarian diet consists primarily of fish, any type of fruit, vegetables, grains and legumes. I stated that if I relocate to L.A., I will certainly consider becoming a full fledged vegan.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:48 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,948 times
Quote:
I'm far from close minded. I simply prefer coastal cities. It can be costly but the quality of life is often better than in other parts of the country.
Your comments about TX, and the types of people that frequent TX, say otherwise. It's a two-way street. I spend a lot of time in Dallas, Austin, Houston (in that order) and although the residents may have opposing views to many of us Californians, they're not a particularly viscous about it. Californians on the other hand, are far more vicious about "being open minded"...which is terribly ironic.

Quote:
As an aside, I do understand the homeless issue better than most. Perhaps you confused my posting with another person's postings?
Admittedly my comment was aggressive on this topic. Probably because we've beat it to death on this forum, and I can't expect you to know that. Please know that not all, if even "many", of the homeless in LA are actually in need of assistance. Only about 30% have mental illnesses, which is what special interest groups spotlight to drive their agenda. It's not black/white as many attempt to paint. So when you hear someone saying you simply need to be empathetic and the problem will be solved, you've identified someone with little education on the topic.

Quote:
Lastly, I NEVER bragged about being vegan, because at this point, I'm more or less a pescatarian. A pescatarian diet consists primarily of fish, any type of fruit, vegetables, grains and legumes. I stated that if I relocate to L.A., I will certainly consider becoming a full fledged vegan.
Quote:
Heck, if I relocated, I would strongly consider becoming a full fledged vegan.
It's a joke. It usually goes something like this; "How do you know when someone is Vegan?.....Oh, they'll tell you."

Old 03-14-2017, 10:52 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,662,521 times
Quote:
Pot, meet kettle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles