Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:09 PM

134 posts, read 562,410 times

Advertisements

Do to the fact RE prices are down 20 to 50% in LA what are people going to do when they can no longer borrow against their homes to live ? How many people have their paymants double recently and have to sell the Hummer.Any RE people or MTG BRKRS care to tell how they are making their ends meet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 10:53 PM

642 posts, read 3,073,179 times
Thumbs up Still Livin' the Good life

Share my story . . . well the most recent is that my neighbor one street over listed his home which he purchased I believe for $2.1 million last year. He had to go back up north for job reasons and needed to sell. 2 days after listing it sold for $2.25 million (asking).

Now I am no math genius per say but ain't nothing going down there except some serious fat cash down into his wallet.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:56 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
Share my story . . . well the most recent is that my neighbor one street over listed his home which he purchased I believe for $2.1 million last year. He had to go back up north for job reasons and needed to sell. 2 days after listing it sold for $2.25 million (asking).

Now I am no math genius per say but ain't nothing going down there except some serious fat cash down into his wallet.
After transaction costs, he probably lost money.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:31 PM

105 posts, read 482,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
After transaction costs, he probably lost money.
Can always count on you EscapeCalifornia to rain on somebodies parade. LOL Ur a riot though. Any luck on "escaping"?? I've been here (IE) for about a week now and aside from being bored I like it here.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateTae View Post
Can always count on you EscapeCalifornia to rain on somebodies parade. LOL Ur a riot though. Any luck on "escaping"?? I've been here (IE) for about a week now and aside from being bored I like it here.
Tell me how my statement is wrong.

Wow a whole week. Well that really makes you an expert on Southern California.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:43 PM

105 posts, read 482,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Tell me how my statement is wrong.

Wow a whole week. Well that really makes you an expert on Southern California.
Well I don't recall ever saying that your statement was wrong. I basically said we could always count on you to post something negative in a thread. Now tell me THAT statements wrong!

I was also just sharing the fact that I finally moved and that I'd been here for a week. I never said I was an expert on Southern California just because I'd been here a whole week either. You're such a mean miserable man but funny. Sharpen those reading comprehension skills too.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:48 PM

Well if reality is negative, sorry, that's life in the real estate market right now. Your outlook on life in SoCal might change after you've been here a while.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:52 AM

98 posts, read 325,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post

WOW i would guess youre in a beach area with those numbers!!

at any rate that is awesome!!!

Old 03-05-2008, 07:55 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdawgx View Post
Do to the fact RE prices are down 20 to 50% in LA what are people going to do when they can no longer borrow against their homes to live ? How many people have their paymants double recently and have to sell the Hummer.Any RE people or MTG BRKRS care to tell how they are making their ends meet?
Back to the original post...

The figure below (from the Case Shiller Home price Index through 2/2008) shows a decline but not close to 50% for Los Angeles. Maybe some areas are appraching 50%, but man 50% is lot of loss.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:04 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
I was captivated by the title of this thread as I thought the OP was referring to crashes in the past. This one is different as it's been driven by greed. Greed on the part of those who had no business (or money) to purchase a home. And greed on the part of financial institutions who threw all sanity into the wind and handed mortgages to anyone who was breathing. Here's my historical perspective:

I purchased my home in 1991, with a jumbo mortgage (11%!) and private mortgage insurance since the proceeds from my prior home didn't quite address the 20% down. Within 2-years, my home was appraised at 30% less than the purchase price. Did I panic? No. Did I know that the values would, eventually, increase? Yes. Did I consider walking away? Never.

Fast forward 17-years. I now have $800K in equity. My current house payment for my 5BR/2-1/2BA is less than a 2BR/2BA rental in the nice areas of LA.

What's the point? There are historical swings in the real estate and mortgage markets. What's changed is attitude. An article in the LA Times, this past weekend, spoke of people not paying their mortgages but, instead, paying their minimum charges on their credit cards so that they would still be able to purchase "necessities."

Yes, there are many who are in a bad spot due to unforeseen circumstances. But there are many more who are in the same bad spot because they looked at a house as a short term investment that was going to turn a quick profit. So they made a brain-fog decision to throw all reasonable financial thought out of the window.

It's sad, but it's right in line with the thoughtless, "Me" times in which we live. Stepping off of the soap box now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles