Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2008, 09:15 PM

25 posts, read 174,407 times

Advertisements

I'm a female in her 20s working in downtown LA for the summer, and looking to live on the beach. Any thoughts on the best beach areas to live, and what the different commute times to downtown would be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 10:42 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,683,410 times
long beach(which has beaches very close nearby) has a train that goes into LA and is generally less expensive than other beach cities closer to LA

Old 03-06-2008, 05:11 AM

81 posts, read 284,339 times
You do realize that rent for a place near the beach could make your bank account disappear almost as fast as your patience from the commute, which can vary from 30 mins (if you're lucky) to over an hour.

I really like the South Bay area (Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo Beaches). They definitely have a good, young, beach-side vibe and have a lot of things to do; I'd imagine it'd be difficult to find a good place there to live. And you're looking at a 40-minute commute with no traffic, 1hr with.

Long Beach is somewhat more affordable, as its beaches are closer to the harbor. It can also get pretty hot there too, more often than other beach areas. There is the metro blue line that runs from downtown Long Beach to downtown LA, but it'd probably still be faster to drive up the 710, 30/60 minutes with/without traffic.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:58 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,095,758 times
If you don't mind public transportation, there are a few express busses that run from the beach cities to downtown. I know a Commuter Express bus runs from Manhattan Beach to downtown and Santa Monica has one as well. Most employers don't seem to cover parking downtown, so this might save you even more in that aspect.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:47 PM

25 posts, read 174,407 times
Anyone have thoughts about the Marina del Ray/Venice/Santa Monica areas and what the commute times are to downtown?

Old 03-07-2008, 02:08 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,683,410 times
Marina del Ray is nice but very pricey

Old 03-07-2008, 02:19 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,095,758 times
Marina Del Rey is a fairly uninteresting part of town with expensive rent despite this fact. I find it quite sterile. To downtown from MDR you're looking at a 45 min to 1 hr commute each way.

Venice is about the same distance from downtown, so the commute will be about the same as MDR, but it is overall a more interesting neighborhood. Venice is much more walkable, but also is a lot shadier than either MDR or Santa Monica. Venice has its share of gangs, drugs, and homeless which might scare of a young female living by herself. It also has a lot of east coast transplants which you may like. Most reasonably priced apartments in Venice are old and run down.

Most areas of Santa Monica have easy access to the 10 freeway which runs directly downtown. I'd say the commute would be about 30-45 minutes most days. With no traffic, the drive can be done in under 20 minutes. Santa Monica is also its own city and is much bigger than the the LA hoods of Venice and MDR, therefore it has multiple neighborhoods that are very different from each other. Lots of things to do here and mostly safe and nice neighborhoods.

I don't work downtown, but I do live in Santa Monica and spend most of time between the 3 places you are interested in living. Feel free to ask me anymore questions that you may have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles