Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 11:13 AM

29 posts, read 20,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Judgmental. Not everyone can afford a "grown up" living situation...
Opinions don't really matter to me... we are moving from the east coast and want to stay on the west. So retaining as much income as possible to save up for a year isn't a bad choice. After all, we all work full time. It's not like we are all going to be sitting at home vegetating all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 11:18 AM

6 posts, read 7,099 times
Zillow is a good start. I would also look on Craigslist.

Don't listen to some of the judgmentals on here. On this board it seems if you don't live near the beach, you are in the "ghetto" and if you live near the beach you "overpaid" on your home. You can't win.

I might advise to even beef up the $5k emergency fund you have. $5k can go very quickly in Los Angeles. Cost of living here is very high - you might be surprised at groceries, the sales tax, etc. If you are in SouthBay or Orange County areas you will find it more affordable.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonbucks View Post

Don't listen to some of the judgmentals on here. On this board it seems if you don't live near the beach, you are in the "ghetto" and if you live near the beach you "overpaid" on your home. You can't win.

I might advise to even beef up the $5k emergency fund you have. $5k can go very quickly in Los Angeles. Cost of living here is very high - you might be surprised at groceries, the sales tax, etc. If you are in SouthBay or Orange County areas you will find it more affordable.
Thanks. I will definitely have more like 6-8k that I would like to keep away. 5 is just what I have right now. Still have another 3 months to put some money away. I don't feel like we are in a tough situation considering splitting rent for a year. That way we can get to know areas more familiarly and network a little before starting from scratch individually.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:27 AM

817 posts, read 752,939 times
Recipe for disaster. Get degrees, then job offers over $50k, life in L.A. will be much more normal.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:29 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonbucks View Post

Except most young people that are moving to LA from out of state aren't envisioning living in Long Beach or Anaheim. They aren't even envisioning living in Burbank, North Hollywood, Van Nuys, Reseda or any other place they will likely have to settle for. And then they show up with no job and end up in a place that's not the non stop party they imagined and end up spending 2+ hours a day in the car commuting to a job where they still have to struggle to pay bills every month ...if they can even find a job. A dose of reality isn't a bad thing so we can all say I told you so when they are back here saying good bye in 6 months when they are moving back home to their parents houses

Old 03-22-2017, 11:30 AM

817 posts, read 752,939 times
Or, honestly, live and manage the T Mobile stores out in Riverside, Corona, Santa Clarita, Ventura...much more affordable areas and a good launching point.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:35 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
Recipe for disaster. Get degrees, then job offers over $50k, life in L.A. will be much more normal.
A 4 bedroom house in a decent area of LA is going to be at least $3500/mo rent (AT LEAST). Even 4 guys making $50k each will have trouble keeping up with expenses unless they are all completely debt free otherwise.

More importantly, the places that are $3500-4000/mo and in a good area will have a lot of competition to rent and landlords aren't even going to consider renting to the 4 young guys with no jobs regardless of their credit history and savings accounts. They will be competing against established families with good jobs and security

Old 03-22-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
A 4 bedroom house in a decent area of LA is going to be at least $3500/mo rent (AT LEAST). Even 4 guys making $50k each will have trouble keeping up with expenses unless they are all completely debt free otherwise.

More importantly, the places that are $3500-4000/mo and in a good area will have a lot of competition to rent and landlords aren't even going to consider renting to the 4 young guys with no jobs regardless of their credit history and savings accounts. They will be competing against established families with good jobs and security
That point of view is understandable. We are all over 40k salaries here in FL and hope the salary increase carries over. But then again, nothing is guaranteed until jobs are lined up. From what I have seen so far, there are decent places even around HB for a reasonable rent.. since I am not physically in CA right now I can't justify whether the places are worthwhile or not.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:00 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,643 times
You won't find a 4 bedroom home for $3,000-$3,300/month in a good area of core LA. You'd have to venture out in east LA county or the Inland Empire or some cities like Santa Clarita. Pretty much, you'd have to venture out to family-ville where it would be relatively boring for 4 single guys.

You're going to have to shell out more money if you want to live in a good part of core LA.

It all depends on what you're looking for when you come. If you want to live in a neighborhood with nightlife, trendy restaurants, and be near the beach, then you'd have to really up your budget. But if you don't care about those things and don't mind being in a more suburban area like the Valley or further east of LA and even north OC, then your options open up.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
You won't find a 4 bedroom home for $3,000-$3,300/month in a good area of core LA. You'd have to venture out in east LA county or the Inland Empire or some cities like Santa Clarita. Pretty much, you'd have to venture out to family-ville where it would be relatively boring for 4 single guys.

You're going to have to shell out more money if you want to live in a good part of core LA.

It all depends on what you're looking for when you come. If you want to live in a neighborhood with nightlife, trendy restaurants, and be near the beach, then you'd have to really up your budget. But if you don't care about those things and don't mind being in a more suburban area like the Valley or further east of LA and even north OC, then your options open up.
Is Costa Mesa considered OC? I wouldn't know what area that is considered, or if you guys consider that a bad area. Was there recently didn't seem too bad. Pretty close to the beach and plenty of activity. It would be NICE to be near those things, but it's an open minded move. CA is obviously expensive. If we have to settle for something a little further inland to improve quality of living so be it. This is only a starting point. The more we can save the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles