Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 11:49 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
But I also demand "service", as minimum strikes up "small talks" with them so if nothing else they earn their tips. I used to flirt with waitresses but now da wife is next to me so I behave better now. I still joke around with them though.
Funny how these things differ person to person. My ideal waiter/waitress comes quickly, takes the order without forgetting any small details, shows up once through a meal to check that everything is going well and to refill drinks (because, really, how much watered-down Coke or tap water can I drink?), brings the check quickly and maybe smiles once or twice. Small talk actively discouraged. I'm at the restaurant to eat (presumably) good food that I can't cook at home and to share the time with my wife/parents/friends. No need for other participants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 11:53 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
I'll usually do 16 percent as a minimum even if they aren't too good .
I'll go up depending on the level of service though .

Old 03-23-2017, 12:39 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I worked as a waiter during my high school and college years, and a couple of summer driving NYC yellow cab, so I tend to tip better. Typically 20% or more.

But I also demand "service", as minimum strikes up "small talks" with them so if nothing else they earn their tips. I used to flirt with waitresses but now da wife is next to me so I behave better now. I still joke around with them though.
fyi waitresses aren't strippers

Old 03-23-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Funny how these things differ person to person. My ideal waiter/waitress comes quickly, takes the order without forgetting any small details, shows up once through a meal to check that everything is going well and to refill drinks (because, really, how much watered-down Coke or tap water can I drink?), brings the check quickly and maybe smiles once or twice. Small talk actively discouraged. I'm at the restaurant to eat (presumably) good food that I can't cook at home and to share the time with my wife/parents/friends. No need for other participants.
I completely agree. I have been known to walk out of a restaurant if my waiter isn't at my table within 90 seconds of being seated. I went to a chain restaurant last week in my suburban neighborhood. My waiter was a young guy who was extremely nice and polite but he came to our table at least 15 times while we were there (no exaggeration). And even with all that touchy feely niceness it took almost 30 minutes to get served and about 20 minutes to get the check after we asked for it. This is a casual family restaurant where I would like to be in and out in under 30 mins but I was there for over an hour with a toddler who was going crazy after sitting for more then 10 minutes.

But my biggest pet peeve is the waiter/waitress that thinks it's cool to sit down at your table with you while they are taking your order. Your not my friend and you are on the clock so get up and act like a professional. If I owned or managed a restaurant I would instantly fire any waiter that I saw sitting at a customers's table

Old 03-23-2017, 12:50 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
But my biggest pet peeve is the waiter/waitress that thinks it's cool to sit down at your table with you while they are taking your order. Your not my friend and you are on the clock so get up and act like a professional. If I owned or managed a restaurant I would instantly fire any waiter that I saw sitting at a customers's table
I've thankfully never had that happen. I don't think I'd be able to maintain proper decorum in this situation out of sheer surprise. And nobody likes the reaction to their actions to rise to the level of "uh, wtf are you doing"?

Old 03-23-2017, 01:17 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I completely agree. I have been known to walk out of a restaurant if my waiter isn't at my table within 90 seconds of being seated. I went to a chain restaurant last week in my suburban neighborhood. My waiter was a young guy who was extremely nice and polite but he came to our table at least 15 times while we were there (no exaggeration). And even with all that touchy feely niceness it took almost 30 minutes to get served and about 20 minutes to get the check after we asked for it. This is a casual family restaurant where I would like to be in and out in under 30 mins but I was there for over an hour with a toddler who was going crazy after sitting for more then 10 minutes.

That seems rare in L.A where they sit down to take your order . I have seen it before but can't remember where .

Old 03-23-2017, 01:37 PM

39 posts, read 40,525 times
As as occasional LA tourist I've been wondering about this...I come from a state with the server wage, which is two or three bucks or whatever--tipping is absolutely necessary in New Jersey, and I usually go with 25% and round up to the next dollar. But in LA, or California in general, the conventions have to be different, right? Tipping is supposed to cover the difference between server wage and minimum wage but if you're already making at least the minimum...

Old 03-23-2017, 01:46 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,668,250 times
15 to 20 percent is perfectly fine.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tan clutch View Post
As as occasional LA tourist I've been wondering about this...I come from a state with the server wage, which is two or three bucks or whatever--tipping is absolutely necessary in New Jersey, and I usually go with 25% and round up to the next dollar. But in LA, or California in general, the conventions have to be different, right? Tipping is supposed to cover the difference between server wage and minimum wage but if you're already making at least the minimum...
Supposed to. So tipping should probably be 0%. Why tip waiters but not tip cashier at McDonald's or Walmart if they get paid the same?

Old 03-23-2017, 03:10 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
I do 15 to 20 percent because it's a societal norm. However, I detest the concept of tipping and it really is just a form of corruption. People should be paid for their work by their employees who in turn should charge enough to cover the employees' costs. End tipping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles