Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 04:51 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,544,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
  • Increasingly scarce affordable housing options
  • Spanish language fluency or proficiency as a requirement for many jobs at the individual contributor and even supervisory level
  • Increasingly fewer dating options for educated black professionals
  • Housing and employment discrimination in predominately Asian and Latino areas (many of which are historically black, mind you)
  • Ongoing cultural warfare between black gangs and Asian and Latino gangs, respectively (generally speaking, Asians and Latinos really, really despise blacks in Southern California)
  • Improved race relations between blacks and whites in the South and peripheral states like Maryland and Missouri, where most blacks on the West Coast trace their roots
You also forgot:
[*] Lack of manufacturing jobs

That's really important because that's what drew the first blacks to California to work in the ports in Long Beach and Oakland.

Had it not been for the port jobs with the U.S. Navy, there never would've been a significant presence of blacks in either L.A. or Oakland.

Last edited by kttam186290; 07-12-2017 at 05:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 09:34 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Every AA person I work with is from somewhere else besides LA. If you grew up here maybe it's time for you to venture out and go live somewhere else. I was born in NJ and lived in DC most of my life. I had to leave and go explore. I moved to Seattle and stayed there for a few years. Now I'm in LA. I love it here and do not plan on ever leaving.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:19 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,751,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Bro, tell me about it! I was in ATL when the Lewis drama went down, the marked the death of Buckhead as the spot for everyone. the Buckhead old money for years was looking for an excuse to remove all party spots. It got started with the crime going on a the big strip club there, Gold Club. That and Lewis murder trial sealed Buckhead clubs coffins. As a single man, I'm glad I left a year later. Hotlanta ain't what it used to be...
Plenty of nightlife here. It left Buckhead and moved to Edgewood Ave, Peters St, Howell Mill rd, etc. You get to see who really knows about Atlanta with these crazy post like this

Old 07-13-2017, 04:12 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,544,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicanzulu View Post
West of Encino needs to put you back in your place again.
"West of Encino" is now trying to move "east of California" to Las Vegas.

"put in my place" indeed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles