Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 12:31 PM

4 posts, read 3,624 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My husband is in the air force and may be reassigned to LA Airforce base this summer. We have 3-year old and one-year old boys. My husband had been stationed out there previously before we were married and lived in Redondo Beach. I'm looking for recommendations on any other areas that may be good for families and also commute-friendly for my husband. We likely will be renting and would like a backyard (don't have one now), but it doesn't need to be huge. Other info: I'll likely be home with the kids and prefer a walkable area. An active neighborhood with kids would be best. We'll be looking for some kind of school program for the 3 year old, so any recommendations for those would be helpful. Am I already too late to sign him up for the 2017/18 school year? If possible, a location that's close to cute restaurants, library, public transportation.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 12:33 PM

119 posts, read 156,316 times
I recommend El Selgundo.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:46 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,811 times
What is your approx. rental budget?

In addition to El Segundo, you can consider Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach and Torrance (depending on your budget).

Old 03-19-2017, 04:22 PM

39 posts, read 132,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe2333 View Post
Hi all. My husband is in the air force and may be reassigned to LA Airforce base this summer. We have 3-year old and one-year old boys. My husband had been stationed out there previously before we were married and lived in Redondo Beach. I'm looking for recommendations on any other areas that may be good for families and also commute-friendly for my husband. We likely will be renting and would like a backyard (don't have one now), but it doesn't need to be huge. Other info: I'll likely be home with the kids and prefer a walkable area. An active neighborhood with kids would be best. We'll be looking for some kind of school program for the 3 year old, so any recommendations for those would be helpful. Am I already too late to sign him up for the 2017/18 school year? If possible, a location that's close to cute restaurants, library, public transportation.

Thanks in advance!

Us too Coming from FL to LA in June. came here to post this very question. My kids are school age though

Old 03-19-2017, 11:47 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,975,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce backer View Post
Us too Coming from FL to LA in June. came here to post this very question. My kids are school age though
Budget is probably the most important info to know for people to give a recommendation. There are some amazing places to live, but if they're not within your budget, they're not good recommendations.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:47 AM

4 posts, read 3,624 times
It looks like our housing allowance will be around $4k. We'll be looking to rent. Thanks!

Old 03-20-2017, 12:46 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,975,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe2333 View Post
It looks like our housing allowance will be around $4k. We'll be looking to rent. Thanks!
Then El Segundo is a decent recommendation. That budget woild probably get a 2 br house or 3 bedroom townhome.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:03 PM

908 posts, read 1,305,019 times
I think Redondo Beach and Torrance are your best bets.

Surprisingly, I've also seen a couple home rentals at or under $4K/month in the Rolling Hills Estates and Palos Verdes area. The homes will be older and smaller, but it's a very nice area with top notch public schools.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:37 PM

823 posts, read 1,056,917 times
The thing I would be concerned about in El Segundo and Torrance is the effect of air pollution on your children, being sandwiched between the airport and the refinery. The refinery has been really bad over the last couple of years, with explosions, fires and a lot of unplanned flaring. It produces more pollution than all the other refineries in California combined. In October last year there was a shelter in place order after a power cut, i.e. don't go outside and turn off your air conditioner. Everybody has a different tolerance for that sort of thing, but that would give me pause when thinking about young children.

What about Culver City or Mar Vista? You'd be looking at 15-20 minutes commute, both areas have lots of families, restaurants, easy drive to the beach, you'll be able to get a single family home for $4000, especially in Culver City (more scope in the 2 bedroom range, but I see some 3 bedroom houses advertised in yr budget.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:43 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,594,869 times
I'm surprised that the Air Force pays $4000 a month housing allowance. Sounds high. Service people I know struggle financially. No base housing available?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles