Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 07:36 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,968,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
Trying to veer this discussion back toward an LA focus as that's the forum we're in, I think you are going to have a greater tendency of individuals across all ethnicities/races, etc. in this city to have a materialistic bent because LA is more of a glamour city where it either attracts those people or influences those on the fringes who feel pressured to embody some of the negative attributes associated with consumerism and materialism because of a need to fit in.

Sure, you'll have some people born in LA who despite living here, don't ascribe to some of the superficial qualities that are in the city's DNA. Whether it's a newcomer from another part of the US or from another country, generally speaking, the type of person who is going to flock to LA is different from the type of person who is going to flock to somewhere like Chicago or Boston.
Another good point. You see it in Miami and NYC too. Los Angeles does have the glam element and it will attract that in spades plus we have our own home grown flaunters in the Kardashians. I think that with out major cities become way more worldly, there is not going to be much of a difference east/west, foreign/native. It's just the way a lot of people around the world view wealth now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 11:28 AM

2,799 posts, read 2,252,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
All excellent and salient posts, but I wasn't meaning to generalize all people of the East as this way, but that subset that does like the gaudiness and where does it come from? Obviously the stereotype exists, I don't get why people ignore it or deflect with criticisms of Americans acting the same way, I was just wondering what it is in the Eastern cultures where I am assuming this is less challenged or not seen as tacky? IDK.
Obviously, if we had an objective way to measure these things, we would almost certainly find average differences across countries. But, all I have to go on is vague observations. I simply don't know enough about "Eastern cultures" to know that it is not seen as tacky or challenged? In many countries there are strong anti-western movements than rally against "decadent west/western materialism."

I know it seems overly pedantic, but I don't know whether "Easterner cultures challenge gaudy materialism less than the West" is a generalization rooted in a factual basis or just a misconception based on a few high profile examples of gaudy Eastern.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:29 PM

183 posts, read 205,755 times
The consumerism you see in Los Angeles has more to do with socio-economic stratification and regional upbringing/culture (i.e. SoCal) than it has to do with ones race or ethnicity.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:07 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,968,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmboyinSD View Post
The consumerism you see in Los Angeles has more to do with socio-economic stratification and regional upbringing/culture (i.e. SoCal) than it has to do with ones race or ethnicity.
But it's not about race or ethnicity that I am bringing it up. I was asking if there were more cultural differences in those countries where the top class are a lot more flamboyant in their displays of wealth. I was thinking that perhaps in those cultures of the East such as the Gulf States, Russia, Ukraine, China, that wealth is a major sign of your social standing. It might not be seen as gaudy or rude or in bad taste. It might be seen as a sign of good fortunes. Of course, in the West it exists too, but it can also be mocked, reviled, or seen as being in bad taste so it's not flaunted as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola
I know it seems overly pedantic, but I don't know whether "Easterner cultures challenge gaudy materialism less than the West" is a generalization rooted in a factual basis or just a misconception based on a few high profile examples of gaudy Eastern.
I highly doubt this will ever be empirically studied by social scientists at some prestigious Russell Group school in the UK, you're right. All we have to go on are vague observations and things that might be misconstrued as generalizations. But this phenomena does exist, and it might not so much be a cultural thing now that I think about it, but generational with the added thing that everyone keeps reiterating; these cultures/countries were deprived of luxury goods and new money always displays their wealth more brazenly.

This generational thing even affects the West as seen in the Kardashians, Hiltons, Ecclestones in the UK, famous athletes, etc. It might just not be as taboo anymore as in previous generations.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:59 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,306,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
Trying to veer this discussion back toward an LA focus as that's the forum we're in, I think you are going to have a greater tendency of individuals across all ethnicities/races, etc. in this city to have a materialistic bent because LA is more of a glamour city where it either attracts those people or influences those on the fringes who feel pressured to embody some of the negative attributes associated with consumerism and materialism because of a need to fit in.

Sure, you'll have some people born in LA who despite living here, don't ascribe to some of the superficial qualities that are in the city's DNA. Whether it's a newcomer from another part of the US or from another country, generally speaking, the type of person who is going to flock to LA is different from the type of person who is going to flock to somewhere like Chicago or Boston.
I think that's a very valid point. I'm up in the SF Bay Area and we're generally not as showy in terms of flashiness in dress, homes, and automobiles (and this is generally true for all ethnicities), as I've noticed in SoCal. Perhaps it's the influence of the entertainment industry. Whereas techies aren't into that, if they want to flash or show off, it's into gadgets or toys...

Old 04-01-2017, 06:42 AM

954 posts, read 767,931 times
You really see it in Waikiki, mostly the Japanese.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,323 times
Quote:
No, there is a bit of restraint even among our upper middle to rich classes. Not that that keeps Americans from not being gaudy but for the most part it's represented in Brooks Brothers, Porsches, Brighton hand bags for the older women, etc. It seems way more toned down. I don't see Trump's kids (except maybe Tiffany) go all out in their style. The Kardashians are reviled in the US for their gaudiness. And yes, that gaudiness is becoming a thing here in the States, as the States becomes a lot like the world in general.

People like luxury, I am not getting onto people of the East for liking it. So it's easy for people to point and say, look Americans do it too, my point is why so much? Why do some immerse themselves in it, live by it, all day everyday, luxury. It doesn't look good unless it's Gucci. I could sell them crap on a rope if I told them it was French. I mean they just eat it up.
Are you kidding me?

The Trumps

Snopes.com | The definitive Internet reference source for urban legends, folklore, myths, rumors, and misinformation.

That entire family is very gaudy. Even the sons. Their clothes are very expensive, but they have no taste so they look cheap.

Last edited by TXXTTX; 04-03-2017 at 08:51 PM..

Old 04-05-2017, 06:31 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,891,412 times
Quote:
Upon my many trips around Los Angeles, to all the shopping areas I've noticed a difference between people from the East; Iran, Armenia, Russia, Israel, China, Ukraine, the Gulf States, etc., and Americans in their style. The former just love luxury clothing a lot, luxury cars, they love the most gaudy, flashy, overly bombastic fashion accessories.
There do appear to be cultural differences, which are controversial to discuss, as are all subjects concerning race and ethnicity.

Wealthy WASPs have a reputation for enjoying low-key, dignified displays of wealth. Although you know you're in a wealthy home, the furnishings are dark and muted, rather than bright and flashy. A library with lots of wood. Wood coffered ceilings. Green shaded reading lamps. (Banker's lamps, I think they're called.)

OTOH, wealthy Jews have a reputation for being loud and gaudy. Bright marble pillars and floors, with ostentatious gold trimmings.

There is truth to these stereotypes. I've done some house hunting in Woodland Hills, and was surprised that so many homes opted for marble (rather than hardwood) floors, even in the bedrooms. I have seen personal knickknacks that indicate the owners are Jewish. Although one home was apparently owned by a Persian Muslim, a former officer in the Shah's regime (as indicated by the medals and photos left on display -- I'm surprised the realtor didn't recommend he remove them, as the Shah is controversial to some buyers).

KFI-AM's Bill Handel jokes about this propensity of Persian Jews for flashy marble and gold. He calls his mansion "the Persian Palace," because, I assume, it's gaudy. His house even has an earthquake safe elevator, which he's talked about.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:21 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,706,775 times
People from the East are NOT descended from the Anglo-Saxon traditions of frugality and inconspicuous consumption like the rest of us are here in America; this is an Anglo-Saxon country.

Sorry to burst your PC bubble.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:42 PM

1,693 posts, read 1,124,417 times
Nouveau riche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles