Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2017, 09:59 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times

Advertisements

How is parking at the metro stations?

We are in the process of planning our move back to the LA area and my husband's work does have a shuttle service for free from Union Station to several of the offices he is applying to.

But I am wondering how packed the parking is and if it fills up easily at the various metro stations????

We still don't know exactly where we will be moving, but proximity to a metro line would be something we would be interested in.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 02:52 PM

422 posts, read 1,819,086 times
Metro parking is all over the map, from free lots to paid lots to no lots (i.e., street parking). It will depend on where you live. In the meantime, I googled this for you: https://www.metro.net/riding/paid_parking/

Old 04-13-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubancoffee View Post
Metro parking is all over the map, from free lots to paid lots to no lots (i.e., street parking). It will depend on where you live. In the meantime, I googled this for you: https://www.metro.net/riding/paid_parking/
Thanks. I googled that though. My question was more about how fast they fill up, if they fill up, etc....

Here, in NC, they often fill up and you can't park at them at all.

Things have changed a bit now that gas prices are lower, not as many are taking the train.

But I wanted to know how the situation is with parking (and actually getting a spot) there.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:14 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Thanks. I googled that though. My question was more about how fast they fill up, if they fill up, etc....

Here, in NC, they often fill up and you can't park at them at all.

Things have changed a bit now that gas prices are lower, not as many are taking the train.

But I wanted to know how the situation is with parking (and actually getting a spot) there.
They all fill up and at varying times. You'll have to narrow your options for much more detail than that. In general most lots are mostly full by 7-730 or so. Many are full an hour earlier.

Weird that he gets a free shuttle from union station. With so many buses and trains that would seem to be unnecessary.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
They all fill up and at varying times. You'll have to narrow your options for much more detail than that. In general most lots are mostly full by 7-730 or so. Many are full an hour earlier.

Weird that he gets a free shuttle from union station. With so many buses and trains that would seem to be unnecessary.
Looking online it appears that many places have free shuttle services from Union Station, especially for events (Staples Center and Dodger Stadium events) but also larger companies on weekdays.

When I worked in LA some people took the Train in but another co-worker picked them up. I worked about 2 miles from Union Station, too far to walk, but close enough that trying to get the bus was a pain, maybe that has changed? Are busses not as overcrowded and sketchy around that area anymore?

The few times co-workers tried to take the bus, they often couldn't even get on for 2-3 runs due to the numbers of people using it the bus system. And then of course there was an added cost on top of the train cost.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:11 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Looking online it appears that many places have free shuttle services from Union Station, especially for events (Staples Center and Dodger Stadium events) but also larger companies on weekdays.

When I worked in LA some people took the Train in but another co-worker picked them up. I worked about 2 miles from Union Station, too far to walk, but close enough that trying to get the bus was a pain, maybe that has changed? Are busses not as overcrowded and sketchy around that area anymore?

The few times co-workers tried to take the bus, they often couldn't even get on for 2-3 runs due to the numbers of people using it the bus system. And then of course there was an added cost on top of the train cost.
Bus riders can be sketchy but so can train riders. It's all the same people. BTW you're sure you mean metro trains and not metrolink? They're two completely different things.

Metro provides buses for Dodger stadium home games but I'm not familiar with free staples shuttle buses. Seems like it'd be much easier to take the train to the staples stop than take it to union station and take a shuttle.

It's not odd to take a shuttle or have a coworker pick someone up. Usually at the more suburban stops. But union station is very central and there are many options for bus and train. I'm sure that it makes sense for many people like your husband but most people within two miles of union station wouldn't need a shuttle or to even go there at all.

Transfers from a bus or train to another bus or train is free for two hours after you tap in.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Bus riders can be sketchy but so can train riders. It's all the same people. BTW you're sure you mean metro trains and not metrolink? They're two completely different things.

Metro provides buses for Dodger stadium home games but I'm not familiar with free staples shuttle buses. Seems like it'd be much easier to take the train to the staples stop than take it to union station and take a shuttle.

It's not odd to take a shuttle or have a coworker pick someone up. Usually at the more suburban stops. But union station is very central and there are many options for bus and train. I'm sure that it makes sense for many people like your husband but most people within two miles of union station wouldn't need a shuttle or to even go there at all.

Transfers from a bus or train to another bus or train is free for two hours after you tap in.
Thank you.

That is good to know.

Not sure about the rest, but DH was told there is a shuttle. Maybe they meant bus, but he will ask. They also provide a reduced rate for the Metro. Since parking at his building is quite high, it is much cheaper to take the train.

I used to work less than 2 miles from Union Station but that was back when it was just starting in Pasadena (where I lived) and I carpooled with 3 other people anyway, so it wasn't bad in terms of gas/travel. And our parking was free.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:33 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,480 times
There are private shuttles from Union Station. I see the USC ones that take students and workers to USC Medical to USC Main Campus, probably the Downtown campus and other properties/main housing buildings. Also the shuttles of the large skyscraper buildings that shuttle workers of those buildings to other lots or public transit areas. But if you are a PubTransit worker and work in the financial district, bunker hills, Civic Center or near the Metro stops, youll likely take the Metro train to get to Union Station, rather than wait for a shuttle because traffic is bad and being stuck in Downtown traffic might not be as worth the hasse.

But if you work in other Downtown areas not near Metro like on the other side of the 110 free skyscrapers/Good Samaritan hospital or historic core or in industrial areas, then buses or Metro might not be as practical since they dont go there directly.

But when it comes to park/ride at Metro or Metrolink stops, it is a trail and error situation. There are few people here probably that can what time/which place fills up all stations. I dont think there is a forum for transit riders to ask. So I would just start early and just adjust as time goes by. So if you start at 7am to be safe and find out that there is usually still parking at 8am then you can maybe leave later. OR learn that the next station over has plenty of parking, just drive a little more and get guaranteed spots. OR find there is a bus directly near your place or you can walk it or bike it. But I would really consider trying to stay near walkable distance of a Metro station. Mainly because more and more development is happening near stations, that they will fill up with nice restaurants, shops, etc that if you can explore other areas with just a short Metro ride even if your area isnt that great. While gas is still cheap, you never know when it wil spike up from a gas refinery explosion.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:01 PM

992 posts, read 876,254 times
It really depends on where you live. Where specifically are you looking? perhaps you won't have to drive to a station at all. Also, where specifically is your husband working?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles