Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2017, 09:11 PM

6 posts, read 4,747 times

Advertisements

I assume I am the 1,999,999,999th person to ask this, but I like round numbers and I am going to push ahead anyway. After driving in and around NYC since 1987 I am used to traffic, but prefer finding ways around most of it. That said, I am relocating to LA soon and will be looking for a place this week in the West Hollywood and BH areas.

I am open to advice on routes, back alleys, parking lot shortcuts, driving through people's yards, etc to save time.

Here is my situation: New job located in LA on Wilshire between Koreatown and La Cienga.

Looking to live in Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, or somewhere between those areas and Santa Monica.

Given the above data, what can I realistically expect to encounter (excluding those days with cataclysmic accidents) commute-wise?

I will likely be departing around 7:30 AM and heading home at about 6:00-6:30 PM.

Any advice on better/worse areas in any of the above neighborhoods would be greatly appreciated.
Housing budget is in the $3k-$4k range for a 2-3BR apartment or townhouse with parking.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 11:51 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,412,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnThe Move View Post

Here is my situation: New job located in LA on Wilshire between Koreatown and La Cienga.
That is a pretty big range. Maybe you want to narrow it down a bit. Some days it could take you 30 minutes to get from Wilshire/La Cienega to K-town. You sure you arent just pulling this stuff out of your you-know-what?

Old 04-18-2017, 05:45 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,797,101 times
Santa Monica to ktown, is 30-60 minutes. WeHo to Wilshire/La Cienega is 10 minutes, so your range is 10 minute to 60 minutes by car.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:14 AM

KG. Sorry to be vague, but I just did not want to give a specific address or company name. How about near the 4800 block of Wilshire?

Old 04-18-2017, 09:01 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,036 times
If your concerned about commute then live as close to work as possible. Your budget should allow you to rent something walking distance to work on

Old 04-18-2017, 12:11 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnThe Move View Post
I assume I am the 1,999,999,999th person to ask this, but I like round numbers and I am going to push ahead anyway. After driving in and around NYC since 1987 I am used to traffic, but prefer finding ways around most of it. That said, I am relocating to LA soon and will be looking for a place this week in the West Hollywood and BH areas.

I am open to advice on routes, back alleys, parking lot shortcuts, driving through people's yards, etc to save time.

Looking to live in Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, or somewhere between those areas and Santa Monica.

Given the above data, what can I realistically expect to encounter (excluding those days with cataclysmic accidents) commute-wise?

I will likely be departing around 7:30 AM and heading home at about 6:00-6:30 PM.

Any advice on better/worse areas in any of the above neighborhoods would be greatly appreciated.
Housing budget is in the $3k-$4k range for a 2-3BR apartment or townhouse with parking.

Thank you in advance for your help.
so Wilshire and Highland based on your more approximate number

I wouldn't recommend santa monica. your commute might be around an hour each way if not longer. There's also no "secret" streets, you're stuck with the freeway or major surface streets like wilshire. Also you'll get the least for your money for renting
Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, beverly grove, Miracle Mile would be perfect. The first two would take 15-30 minutes, the second two neighborhoods as little as 10-15 minutes. ANd you have no shortage of minor streets you can take if the major arteries are clogged.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:17 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,783 times
Use Google Maps to set end points as well as the time of departure. It's surprisingly accurate.

To your question about shortcuts--there aren't any. Waze has ruined them.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:33 AM

Thanks everyone for your guidance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles