Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 05:52 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times

Advertisements

LA is not a bar hopping city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 06:49 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhernandez View Post
Thanks for the insight everyone!

How about Silver Lake/Echo Park, NoHo and Ventura Blvd? Are those areas busy or toned down? Can you hop from bar to bar?
Sherman Oaks and Studio City have a number of bars along Ventura Blvd. They aren't necessarily jam packed together, but you usually have a smattering of a few bars every few blocks.

Similar thing with Silver Lake / Echo Park, you've got a few bars clustered together and then you have to go a few blocks down to find the next bunch.

In NoHo, the bars are mostly concentrated in the NoHo Arts District by the intersection of Lankershim and Magnolia.

So essentially, it's best to identify a cluster of bars in any of these areas and go to 3-4 bars that are within a couple blocks walking distance. And another cluster is only a 5 minute Uber ride away at most.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:40 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Hollywood to me seems more lively and urban. More of everything imo. Tons of restaurants and bars between Hollywood and Sunset Blvds. Also more residents, latenight drugstores and supermarkets. More Hotels. Two major subway stations. Gaslamp area is not even that busy of an area during the day. It serves its purpose as San Diego's nightlife epicenter and thats fine.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:25 PM

216 posts, read 200,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Gas lamp district is a cool area .
Things are pretty spread out in la with more mini nightlife .
I'd say Hollywood highland might be the closest but it's still a different vibe from gaslamp in SD

Westwood village seems like it used to be like that way back
When I was younger Sunset Strip was like that with a lot of people walking around . Now things are much more quiet.

Much of the reason it's quieter is because of neighborhood groups that didn't want such a rowdy party scene .
There are several places in LA to find a vibrant night life scene, including Downtown LA, Korea-Town, WeHo along Santa Monica Blvd or the Sunset Strip , NoHo Arts District (Lankershim/Magnolia), Santa Monica (3rd Street Promenade), Hollywood (Cahuenga/Sunset and Hollywood/Highland).

The Gas Lamp District in San Diego is nice, and attracts huge crowds of tourists. With a few excepetions, the LA scene is less touristy and attracts mostly LA area locals and some of the dressier night clubs require a cover fee to enter.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:34 PM

216 posts, read 200,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhernandez View Post
So the general consensus is that no such busy nightlife area that resembles the Gaslamp Quarter exists in LA but what area(s) would come closest to it?
I've been to the GasLamp quarters in San Diego. I was there on a Wednesday night last year and it was pretty dead. But I'm sure it picks up on the weekend.

Is there anything like the Gaslamp in LA. Not exactly. Then again the bar scene in LA is very different than SD. But there's a lot more night life in LA than SD, buts it's also much more expensive. From small and large concert venues and live theater, to night clubs with guest DJ's from New York and Europe.

While the GasLamp caters to young co-eds and tourists, the night life in LA is more local and very trendy.

In West Hollywood (WeHo), LA's gay mecca, there's a slew of bars and restaurants along Santa Monica Blvd that stay busy throughout the week, and busier on the wknds. Up the hill from Santa Monica is the famous Sunset Strip. Although there are several high end bars and restaurants along the Strip, the appeal is live music venues, such as the Viper Room, The Rainbow Room, Whiskey A-Go-Go, The Roxy, House of Blues, and the Troubadour, where many famous singers and bands got their first break, including Elton John.

Downtown LA is a mixed bag also with several bars and night clubs catering to celebs, and a more sophisticated, well dressed crowd. The Ace and Standard Hotels are but two of those venues. Club Mayan, also in downtown, is a huge dance venue, which also brings in live acts. But the cover at all these places can be very steep.

I guess the closest thing to the GasLamp in LA may be the 3rd street Promenade. it's a walking district, no cars allowed, with bars, but mostly restaurants and shopping boutiques and theaters. The fact the it's only two blocks from the ocean and the Santa Monica Pier, make it a huge tourist and locals destination, day and night.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:54 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in L.A. View Post
I've been to the GasLamp quarters in San Diego. I was there on a Wednesday night last year and it was pretty dead. But I'm sure it picks up on the weekend.

Is there anything like the Gaslamp in LA. Not exactly. Then again the bar scene in LA is very different than SD. But there's a lot more night life in LA than SD, buts it's also much more expensive. From small and large concert venues and live theater, to night clubs with guest DJ's from New York and Europe.

While the GasLamp caters to young co-eds and tourists, the night life in LA is more local and very trendy.

In West Hollywood (WeHo), LA's gay mecca, there's a slew of bars and restaurants along Santa Monica Blvd that stay busy throughout the week, and busier on the wknds. Up the hill from Santa Monica is the famous Sunset Strip. Although there are several high end bars and restaurants along the Strip, the appeal is live music venues, such as the Viper Room, The Rainbow Room, Whiskey A-Go-Go, The Roxy, House of Blues, and the Troubadour, where many famous singers and bands got their first break, including Elton John.

Downtown LA is a mixed bag also with several bars and night clubs catering to celebs, and a more sophisticated, well dressed crowd. The Ace and Standard Hotels are but two of those venues. Club Mayan, also in downtown, is a huge dance venue, which also brings in live acts. But the cover at all these places can be very steep.

I guess the closest thing to the GasLamp in LA may be the 3rd street Promenade. it's a walking district, no cars allowed, with bars, but mostly restaurants and shopping boutiques and theaters. The fact the it's only two blocks from the ocean and the Santa Monica Pier, make it a huge tourist and locals destination, day and night.
yes except the third street promenade is rather dead after 10 pm. even on weekends.
the pier is pretty busy at all hours, but limited drinking (well, the kids who sneak it in )

Old 05-10-2017, 08:17 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
yes except the third street promenade is rather dead after 10 pm. even on weekends.
the pier is pretty busy at all hours, but limited drinking (well, the kids who sneak it in )
Yeah I'm guessing the neighbors don't want it to be a crazy nightlife scene with people partying until really late. Similar to Westwood village .

I remember hearing about back in the day there were clubs in Westwood village and streets were packed
I've seen some photos of that too . Definitely a lot more toned down these days just like Sunset Strip .

Old 05-11-2017, 04:31 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah I'm guessing the neighbors don't want it to be a crazy nightlife scene with people partying until really late. Similar to Westwood village .

I remember hearing about back in the day there were clubs in Westwood village and streets were packed
I've seen some photos of that too . Definitely a lot more toned down these days just like Sunset Strip .
Yes Westwood Village and the Sunset Strip used to be the places to be. There were just more bars and clubs back then too.

3rd St Promenade just has Cabo Cantina and Barney's which cater more to a daytime crowd. They are open late but dead. There's a few bars on Broadway and Santa Monica Blvd between Ocean and 4th but they are also pretty mellow on weekends.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:10 PM

119 posts, read 156,234 times
Getting sloppy drunk is for Losers. LA is for Winners.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:23 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times
Downtown San Jose used to be even more crowded than this until the city closed down a lot of the clubs back in 2009. Sorry for off topic but wanted explain that this crowd is not always a good idea because too many problems with drunk people late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles