Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 07:05 AM

827 posts, read 658,903 times

Advertisements

The things I remember about r.k. Is a thug that refused to do what the police said and got beat down because of it. Got three million in tax payer money because of something he caused to happen and started a riot. the riot cost millions in damage and people were killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 08:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
The things I remember about r.k. Is a thug that refused to do what the police said and got beat down because of it. Got three million in tax payer money because of something he caused to happen and started a riot. the riot cost millions in damage and people were killed.
and afterwards he continued living on the edge of the law.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:38 AM

8,328 posts, read 6,419,063 times
I used to live there and drove past the spot where King got beat daily.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I used to live there and drove past the spot where King got beat daily.
Yes I have been by that spot many times.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:41 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Blacks didn't target Koreans because of the white cops. Blacks remembered the Korean grocer who, in 1991, shot and killed Latasha Harlins, an 11-year-old black girl: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Latasha_Harlins

That's part of the reason blacks hated Koreans.

Black had long-simmering resentments against all sorts of people. The riots unleashed a lot of that "pent-up black rage."
People forget that Hispanics made up like 40% of the riots too. It wasn't just about Black people.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
People forget that Hispanics made up like 40% of the riots too. It wasn't just about Black people.
I think maybe you are wrong. Blacks are all I seen.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:41 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
as far as I saw on tv the Hispanics were the looters and the Black people were the angry antagonists. For the most part....

Old 04-30-2019, 08:52 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
I think maybe you are wrong. Blacks are all I seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
as far as I saw on tv the Hispanics were the looters and the Black people were the angry antagonists. For the most part....
During that first early evening going up Florence Ave Hispanics were among the lighter skinned people, Asians and Reginald Denny being pulled from cars and assaulted. One of the images of the black collar wearing pastor making a rescue was of a Hispanic man.

On the next days coverage of the looting trains, especially as it moved north where there were fewer blacks living the face of the riots became a Latino looter rather than a black gangster attempting a murder that was seen the first evening just before dark.

I can't remember a camera being on who the Koreans were shooting at in the Koreatown defense coverage. Just the armed Koreans and their popping off a round now and then,

Old 04-30-2019, 10:46 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Those "Roof Koreans" were pretty bad ass at the time. Anybody know if they shot anybody?

Fun fact: The filming of Falling Down had to be postponed due to the riots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD5ofrSNDFA

Old 05-01-2019, 05:30 AM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Those "Roof Koreans" were pretty bad ass at the time. Anybody know if they shot anybody?

Fun fact: The filming of Falling Down had to be postponed due to the riots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD5ofrSNDFA
There was at least one friendly fire death, Edward Song Lee at Hobart and 3rd street.

LA Times Rodney King Riots Death Spreadsheet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles