Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:41 PM

13,563 posts, read 15,487,665 times

Advertisements

That Old Town Mall or whatever it was called was nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 11:45 PM

17,877 posts, read 15,719,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
That Old Town Mall or whatever it was called was nice.
You mean Del Amo Fashion Center?

Old 04-26-2017, 12:11 AM

132 posts, read 131,284 times
The problem with Torrance is overcrowding, just to many people. The heart or center of Torrance, Hawthorne & Torrance Blvd., isn't really close to the 405 or 110. It takes you forever to get across town once you take a exit off the 110 or 405 into Torrance. Up until the late 80's and early 90's Torrance and a lot of other suburbs like it in Los Angeles were great options, not so much anymore.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:31 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,223,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
You mean Del Amo Fashion Center?
Nope, the "Old Towne Mall" was a couple of miles north of the Del Amo Fashion Center...
Old Towne Mall | South Bay History

Old 04-26-2017, 01:42 AM

928 posts, read 1,702,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesdeen View Post
Why would anyone ever go to Torrance unless you lived there?

Srs question.
Isn't there an IKEA there? Oh, wait, that's Carson. No reason then.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:17 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,668,872 times
Torrance is a slum as far as I'm concerned.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:12 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,501,651 times
I happen to like the Del Amo Fashion Center, especially after the updates a couple of years ago. I wish Manhattan Village had some of those shops/restaurants.

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 04-26-2017 at 09:21 AM..

Old 04-26-2017, 04:48 PM

216 posts, read 199,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Although there are some lovely, attractive neighborhoods in Torrance such as Riviera, Seaside and Southwood Rivera to name a few, I can't help but notice that most neighborhoods throughout the city have very little curb appeal.

Of course, most homes in the Greater Los Angeles area are older and situated very close together, but in Torrance, I noticed a general dearth of residential and neighborhood landscaping that helps make some of the older, denser LA suburbs more aesthetically pleasing (e.g., Lakewood, Cerritos, etc.).

In addition to minimal or non-existent landscaping, I've also observed many residential properties in Torrance that have brown lawns, chain-link fences and are in dire need of a paint job or other cosmetic work.

The shopping plazas in Torrance don't look radically different from those you see in lower-income Carson or Hawthorne, especially along PCH, Sepulveda and Lomita -- kind of crowded, rundown and sketchy-looking, for the most part.

On the Los Angeles forum, it seems like Torrance is one of the most frequently recommended LA suburbs, but I really struggle to see its appeal. Does anyone else feel this way, or am I alone on this one?
I think folks recommend Torrance to live because it's relatively safe and you can get more house for your money there. And your relatively close to the ocean.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Torrance depresses me. WhT a old ugly forgotten city. I could never live there
Torrance is a big city and like any other big suburban city in LA County, there's good and bad. But overall I think Torrance is a wonderful place to live, reasonably affordable, close to the ocean, with nice parks and plenty of shopping outlets. It's not my cup of tea, but that's because I like being closer to the city vibe of LA.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I have lot of trouble believing Torrance public schools are NOT ghetto. The area itself is just too close to unsafe, low-income communities with high minority populations (e.g., Carson, Wilmington, Lomita, Lawndale, etc.).

TBH, I really couldn't imagine putting my children in public schools in Southern California outside of south Orange County, the Conejo Valley or Palos Verdes.
OMG !! Carson, Wilmington, Lomita, Lawndale...........absolutely frieghtening !!!! You're poor children could never survive in such depravity. And right next door you have the "GHETTO" schools of Torrance, where white children, Latino children, Asian children, Samoan children, and Black children have to share the same class rooms and playground. How could your delicate little ones every make it in such chaos. You need to move to Orange County. Better yet, Idaho. Not many minorities there to ruin their lives or yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles