Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 03:40 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,899,605 times

Advertisements

Trulia's crime maps indicate a large number of burglaries in Woodland Hills. (And many parts of L.A., I suppose.) Yet when I'm in Woodland Hills, the area seems rich, and feels safe.

I'm wondering. What kind of burglaries are these, mostly? The low confrontation, non-scary kind (e.g., someone nabs a bike from an open garage)? Or the scarier, home invasion kind (e.g., violent thugs break and enter a house at night).

Burglaries seem less common in Pasadena (the northwest excepted), but I see occasional gun discharges on the crime maps (not necessarily shootings with a victim), which you don't find in the Valley south of Ventura.

Right now I feel safe in Santa Monica, but cramped in my condo. I can't afford a house in Santa Monica, so I'm looking at houses in the Valley (south of Ventura) and Pasadena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 07:32 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
I've been hearing about these burglaries . It seems the media is now covering it because of the many celebrities that have been victims . Fabio had $200,000 worth of things stolen .

He is the first celeb to come out saying he blames the early prison release program

I saw it mentioned on the news that these people usually end up serving little jail time.

In the article he mentions 350 homes targeted in his area in just a month .
I don't believe these are the home invasion type for the most part.

On the John and Ken show they've been talking about these crimes and they had a lady on that lived in Woodland Hills she said she was targeted twice . A bunch of her neighbors were victims too . Supposedly it's organized gang members from south la and they send crews out to burglarize . They drive higher end cars and dress well so they look like they fit in the area supposedly .

Woodland Hills and the other neighborhood nearby Tarzana , Encino do seem safe but the crooks realize they steal some good stuff from some of the rich folks there .

Woodland Hills seems like a pretty good value overall new shopping and restaurants at the village and there is a lot of development planned for the area .

I'm guessing you could get a nice sized house in Woodland Hills for the cost of a small condo in Santa Monica . I haven't checked SM prices recently but last I checked modest SFH were like 1.3 million or more .

Fabio Becomes Latest Celebrity Burglary Victim | Hollywood Reporter

Old 04-26-2017, 08:04 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Burglaries seem less common in Pasadena (the northwest excepted)...
Looks as if it's now in the more affluent areas of Pasadena.

Pasadena Now » Pasadena Experiencing Rising Number of Home Burglaries | Pasadena California, Hotels,CA Real Estate,Restaurants,City Guide... - Pasadena.com

Old 04-26-2017, 11:13 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Basically criminals target areas where people have stuff to steal. I'm in Santa Clarita where crime is very low but we have had a lot of break ins and attempts lately on homes and vehicles. More disturbing is that a lot of break ins and attempts are at 3am when people are home and sleeping. They caught one of the guys recently and he was from Palmdale so you basically have people that live in ghetto areas that aren't worth burglarizing coming into nicer areas to commit crimes. They know that in general they will score better stuff in nice neighborhoods and get less resistance from residents and the areas that are in LAPD or Sheriff districts aren't going to have regular patrols and have longer response times from police then cities with their own police forces which all add to to easy targets

Old 04-26-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Basically criminals target areas where people have stuff to steal. I'm in Santa Clarita where crime is very low but we have had a lot of break ins and attempts lately on homes and vehicles. More disturbing is that a lot of break ins and attempts are at 3am when people are home and sleeping. They caught one of the guys recently and he was from Palmdale so you basically have people that live in ghetto areas that aren't worth burglarizing coming into nicer areas to commit crimes. They know that in general they will score better stuff in nice neighborhoods and get less resistance from residents and the areas that are in LAPD or Sheriff districts aren't going to have regular patrols and have longer response times from police then cities with their own police forces which all add to to easy targets
I was thinking the same thing regarding response times and not having their own police .
I wonder if some of these thugs started getting shot and killed by homeowners if there would be a decline .

Seems like a clear sign that the penalities for the crime just aren't high enough .

There was a lady on KFI saying how her sons ipad was stolen and she had the fine my iPhone thing on it and tracked down exactly where it was and the police said it wasn't enough to do anything .

People know they can get away with the crime and if they get caught there are in and out of jail back to streets to cause more crime .

Why no strong message from Garcetti or Charlie Beck ? I guess it's not a "serious enough" crime for them .

Old 04-26-2017, 11:55 AM

51 posts, read 75,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I was thinking the same thing regarding response times and not having their own police .
I wonder if some of these thugs started getting shot and killed by homeowners if there would be a decline .

Seems like a clear sign that the penalities for the crime just aren't high enough .

There was a lady on KFI saying how her sons ipad was stolen and she had the fine my iPhone thing on it and tracked down exactly where it was and the police said it wasn't enough to do anything .

People know they can get away with the crime and if they get caught there are in and out of jail back to streets to cause more crime .

Why no strong message from Garcetti or Charlie Beck ? I guess it's not a "serious enough" crime for them .
Why would Garcetti comment about something happening in Santa Clarita (by people that live in Palmdale) or Pasadena?

Do those cities not have their own mayor or police chief?

Old 04-26-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesdeen View Post
Why would Garcetti comment about something happening in Santa Clarita (by people that live in Palmdale) or Pasadena?

Do those cities not have their own mayor or police chief?
I meant the crimes happening in the city of L.A

Old 04-26-2017, 11:58 AM

51 posts, read 75,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I meant the crimes happening in the city of L.A
Do you want to know the real answer, or the one you want to hear?

Old 04-26-2017, 12:00 PM

Video here of some burglars that broke into a Sherman oaks home .

Two young white kids that took off in a new Audi SUV

Video shows knock-knock burglars hitting Sherman Oaks home | abc7.com

Old 04-26-2017, 12:03 PM

3 Knock-Knock Burglary Suspects Caught In Valley Village « CBS Los Angeles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles