Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 10:46 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm just pointing out that I am not the intended target of such bigoted words.
But if somebody for example calls you the H word (h*nkey) or any of the other racial epithets directed at Whites, isn't that an offensive act? When I was in my early twenties and smoked, after refusing to give a cigarette to a Black bum, he called me a h*nkey and told me to get my White ass out of there. And that wasn't very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 11:48 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
LA City Council members call for Joe Bray-Ali to drop out of race

Old 04-28-2017, 10:07 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Some of the stuff he said is a little over the top, especially when he called two black people fighting "Sheboons fighting at a gas station."

But his comments about fat people dying if they continue eating in excess is NOT hate speech by any definition. Fat shaming is not a thing. Sorry it's not.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:09 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
But if somebody for example calls you the H word (h*nkey) or any of the other racial epithets directed at Whites, isn't that an offensive act? When I was in my early twenties and smoked, after refusing to give a cigarette to a Black bum, he called me a h*nkey and told me to get my White ass out of there. And that wasn't very nice.
Yes, I would be pissed off by any insult directed at me. But I would consider the source. Perhaps the person insulting me would get my extended digit hand gesture as a response.

I decry all such prejudicial behavior. It's just that I have two hot button words that set me off far more than the rest of them. But I am affronted by the use of any and all such words and I decry their use.

Prejudice is NOT funny. People who think it is funny are merely exhibiting their sensitivity to the feelings of their fellow men (and women).

Old 04-28-2017, 04:09 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Wow. And this guy is part Jewish and part Indian (East Indian). Where does he get off making racist comments? I was hoping for him to unseat Gil Cedillo but I guess that won't happen.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:26 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
1) Only white people can be racist
2) Others do not have the power to be racist (even when they have the power to be racist)
3) H***** is not an offensive word
4) Getting your white derriere out of somewhere is not a racist request

/sarcasm

Old 04-28-2017, 07:48 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Wow. And this guy is part Jewish and part Indian (East Indian). Where does he get off making racist comments? I was hoping for him to unseat Gil Cedillo but I guess that won't happen.
It gets better ..

One day after losing major endorsements over his online comments, Council District 1 candidate Joe Bray-Ali today disclosed “the dirt on me,” which included cheated on his wife and that his former bike shop owes thousands of dollars in unpaid sales taxes, according to a story in the L.A. Daily News.
But Bray-Ali, in a posting on his personal Facebook page, said he would continue to campaign in the runoff election against incumbent Gil Cedillo.

https://www.theeastsiderla.com/2017/...-unpaid-taxes/

Old 04-29-2017, 05:50 PM

216 posts, read 200,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
We would be behind people making jokes? You have got to be joking. When was the last time you saw a live comedian?
There's nothing funny about it, especially coming from a candidate who's district, which goes from hipsterville Silverlake to downtown LA, is so ethnically rich and gay.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:17 PM

216 posts, read 200,846 times
Quote:
There's a sea of difference between using the word Honky and using the N word. Next time give the bum a cigarette.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:34 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in L.A. View Post
There's nothing funny about it, especially coming from a candidate who's district, which goes from hipsterville Silverlake to downtown LA, is so ethnically rich and gay.
There is an 'ethnicity' of rich and or gay people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles