Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 10:19 PM

285 posts, read 301,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
We would be behind people making jokes? You have got to be joking. When was the last time you saw a live comedian?

We know a comedian is talented when they are able to make people laugh without resorting to using derogatory terms.
It's very easy to make people laugh by putting others down, that's cheap entertainment.
Now being able to make people laugh with quality content that doesn't involve name calling and derogatory terms is the real challenge, that's when you separate a good comedian from the goofy dumbass who cracks jokes at the family dinner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 11:10 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in L.A. View Post
There's a sea of difference between using the word Honky and using the N word. Next time give the bum a cigarette.
But that would be contributing to his demise, since smoking causes cancer and I have no desire to afflict Black people with cancer. Do you have a problem with that?

Old 04-30-2017, 09:18 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It starts with K. I was discussing the most ultimate nasty, prejudiced words, not the starting letter.

FWIW I'm white, non-practicing Christian background, non-ethnic. I decry prejudice and don't think it's funny. Not in any context, not even in a nightclub.
It no longer holds any value to Jews as most current Jews have no clue of what in means and if they did their response would be meh.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:38 PM

183 posts, read 207,175 times
It is not the actual text, but the context to which the derogatory statement is made. Comedians using this type of language for amusement or shock value is different than an individual using it to degrade or denounce a group of people. I don't think this guy was doing stand up comedy when he was making those statements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2b21yAeEpQ

Old 05-02-2017, 08:35 PM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Some of the stuff he said is a little over the top, especially when he called two black people fighting "Sheboons fighting at a gas station."

But his comments about fat people dying if they continue eating in excess is NOT hate speech by any definition. Fat shaming is not a thing. Sorry it's not.
I think there's a reason that some over the top speech is becoming toelrated. People are tired of dumbing down of speech so that people can't figure out what the speaker means. Also while certain of the targeted groups, i.e. racial minorities have no control over their race, others such as transexuals often have such control. That is why these kinds of candidates gain traction.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:18 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
"What happened last week was a total hate job,” he said Wednesday about website LAist, which first reported the comments. “A blogger twisted my words into a convenient click-based story. Everyone ran around screaming and shouting that I was a racist and even people on my staff, they believed the blogger.”“People attack your character in a campaign like this, you shed supporters and voters don’t vote,” he said. “The whole point of this hit campaign is to push voters away from me.”
“It has been very effective, aided by my own inexperience in dealing with these kinds of personal attacks,” he added."

Joe Bray-Ali fires back at local Democrats over call for him to quit LA Council race

Old 05-04-2017, 11:55 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Quote:
There's a sea of difference between using the word Honky and using the N word. Next time give the bum a cigarette.
What's the difference? They are both extremely racist terms used in a pejorative manner.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:52 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Your language is very offensive to me. Please wash your mouth with soap.

No amount of prejudice or prejudiced language should be tolerated. The only people who deserve to be on the receiving end of prejudice is prejudiced bigots.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
There is an 'ethnicity' of rich and or gay people?
Wow! I found my ethnicity! No, I'm not gay.

But I like GLBT people, they are very interesting and fun to be friends with! Very open minded, but gays I've known don't try to lay their trip on me. They are just my friends like anybody else.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhernandez View Post
We know a comedian is talented when they are able to make people laugh without resorting to using derogatory terms.
Bingo! Give the man the cigar!

A really funny comedian does not need to resort to prejudice and bigotry to be funny. If he does, now that's really sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles