Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 02:56 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Your issues come from this paragraph:

But, I also understand why I am so unhappy here. I remember when rush hour only lasted an hour each way. I remember when the only "violence" at the public schools was a fist fight. I remember when the majority of homes were single family, on a large-ish lot. I remember when our communities were cohesive...people smiled at each other. Neighbors knew each other, and looked out for each other. It was never perfect, but it was slower and not so congested."

LA is not like this anymore and will never be again. It's a growing diverse megacity which stretches beyond the cities borders. You are not a big city person. You want the lifestyle that LA afforded in the 50s and 60s, which will never return. If you're not happy with this, its good that you are leaving. I happen to thrive on this progress and enjoy seeing the dynamics of this city. Maybe one day I'll be jaded by all that is LA and leave, but for now, I'm happy.
You are not making sense. You are right that L.A. is not what it used to be, and that maybe some people aren't "big city people," but that does NOT make them unsuccessful people. You have a very warped sense of what success is I guess. You also sound very young to me and like you think you are cool or something because you live in L.A. Oh well, I guess you will live and learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 03:24 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertsGirl View Post

Now, to convince my husband that it's time to go.
Show him this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...o-springs.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...briargate.html

Old 03-08-2008, 03:39 PM

61 posts, read 222,290 times
Default I saw that!

I have friends who are moving there when they retire (w/n the next 5-10 years). It's soooo beautiful. Unfortunately, my husband is not one for the cold, so snow is not in our future.

We really want to move to TX. We've been there many times, and really like it. We have friends there who used to live here, and we know the drawbacks and differences. I can live with them. The hubby....well, he's got a lot to consider, and it's hard to make a decision to move away from everything you've ever known. I, on the other hand, am a bit more adventurous.

I'm glad I started this thread. What's going to happen to this state? It just seems that things are really accelerating as far as the negative impact of, well, everything (traffic, schools, congestion, traffic, , pollution, cost of living, etc.)

Old 03-08-2008, 04:20 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertsGirl View Post
What's going to happen to this state? It just seems that things are really accelerating as far as the negative impact of, well, everything (traffic, schools, congestion, traffic, , pollution, cost of living, etc.)
A lot of what is going to happen in California is also going to happen elsewhere. A lot of people are expecting $6+/gal gas, continued financial problems, too much indebtedness, water problems...some are seriously looking at a depression. (Washington Mutual looks like it's in big trouble now too.).

Mexico's problems are expected to go from bad to worse (I think I read that they have about nine years left on oil reserves). How might that affect SoCal?

Old 03-08-2008, 04:53 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,745 times
Charles said what I was thinking... what's happened and is happening here will happen wherever you go. Most people are moving from one urban center to another, making the next larger and bringing problems from one area to another in numerous instances. Rural areas in the country are diminishing quickly, as people from those areas are moving to incorporated urban areas as well.
Los Angeles' biggest problem, from my perspective, is people running from their problems. Instead of people saying 'no', and I mean people coming together and saying 'absolutely not, this is not going to happen to the community I have put so much into', people are just giving up and leaving. Look at any major city and the people that grew up there before urban density and suburban sprawl really kicked in you will find them saying the same thing the people here are saying, they wish it was the same it used to be. But it's not, so they are leaving. It is the same story major city to major city.
I give kudos to those who are becoming part of the solution, those who are taking back their communities and bringing them back to their original "glory". Example Hollywood, South Park, Echo Park/Silver Lake/Loz Feliz, the "Bringing Back Broadway" program, etc... I have a positive outlook for Los Angeles and back any program or persons that make their statement and stand by it. I'm sorry to those who are leaving and wish nothing but the best for them. I can only hope the millions who stay and the millions who come in the future can have the same positive outlook for such a great city with amazing potential.
Remember, Los Angeles is a very young city for it's size! It's like a small over-fed child who in their obesity looks horrible and has a grim looking future, but makes changes, sticks with those positive changes and becomes a healthy prosperous adult.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:10 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
I understand what you are saying and if we had a leader who felt the way you did, I'd stay and gladly put in the work. Unfortunately, greed is winning out and there don't seem to be enough of us willing to fight to save L.A. from the greedy people. This time next year it looks like I'll become an Arkansan. A little peace and quiet that I can afford sounds really good to me right now.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:26 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
if we had a leader who felt the way you did, I'd stay and gladly put in the work. Unfortunately, greed is winning out and there don't seem to be enough of us willing to fight to save L.A.
I don't in anyway want this to turn into a political discussion, but I agree about not having a leader who has the right outlook, even though I could have given him a standing ovation for starting the "Bringing Back Broadway" program and for bringing downtown LA back to life. However these programs will now run on their own and he can step down and let someone with the right outlook for the rest of the city in. Again lets please not let this become a political thread.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:39 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,046,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
As for me or other Americans not being able to "cut it" in L.A., I grew up here, buddy. It's not the same place it was. Fastfilm and RobertsGirl are very right. I hope you have a job that the illegals can't push you out of and live in a place that pays such outrageous taxes that the police wouldn't dare let it become gang infested.
Or even a job foreign nationals with work visas can't push you out of. I've given up on software engineering entirely, and am now in different field, thanks to H-1B and L1 visa migrants who are working here legally, thanks to our traitorous government and their coffer-fillers who have an insatiable quest for cheap labor.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:45 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,046,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
-this isn't a Los Angeles for everyone anymore, just for foreign nationals, and their exclusionary tendency. Polyglot does not lend itself to American solidarity or even basic politeness. No matter how nice I try to be to my neighbors, I don't speak five different languages, and they don't speak English.
I agree with all of your post. Regarding the portion above, I'm really discouraged by the way i'm treated by other people of my ethnic group (European). All other people will help their own, but when it comes to others of European heritage in L.A., it's simply a matter of screwing others before they can reciprocate. We seem to be a magnet for the worst of people out here, and it's really too bad because it's not the sort of thing that makes a nation healthy.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:30 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,790 times
Some of these problems are exactly the reason why I WANT to move to LA. I'm a firefighter in WI, and it's the best job that I could ask for. However, I'm someone that likes a lot going on. LA would give me the "big city" experience that I want. Yet, it also has sort of a laid back feeling as well.

I want to be someone where I actually see a lot of fire. It will give me a chance to help more people by working for one of the busiest and best fire departments in the world. LAFD is almost comparable to the Navy Seals of the fire department. Many fail at it, and those who succeed make a huge difference in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles