Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 11:42 PM

992 posts, read 876,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Many people are competing with people overseas too so there's that . Also robots will be coming for a lot of jobs soon
Plus COL relative to wages is just generally higher. While quality of life has certainly improved over the past 50 years, people could buy a house in LA in the 60s for $30,000-$40,000 (roughly a quarter-million today.) Nowadays, it's hard to find anything decent for double that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 08:45 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Many people are competing with people overseas too so there's that . Also robots will be coming for a lot of jobs soon
true. I think our society had a golden age from about the 1950s through the 1990s.

our future , if all goes well, will be dependent on robots to do everything. most humans won't have a job but instead live off some sort of basic government assistance.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:02 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
true. I think our society had a golden age from about the 1950s through the 1990s.

our future , if all goes well, will be dependent on robots to do everything. most humans won't have a job but instead live off some sort of basic government assistance.
Many people are talking about self driving cars.
But there is also talk about self driving public transit buses and self driving cargo trucks .

Think about how many people work as commercial drivers alone it's a very big industry .

There are about 3.5 million truck drivers in the US

Old 05-23-2017, 03:12 PM

369 posts, read 269,338 times
Default A lot of people want to live in LA but can't afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
If LA were "affordable", aka, just damn cheaper, even more people would want to live here and it would be unbearable. I'd rather just have a job that pays me a great salary to permit me to have my pick of a nice 2 bedroom apartment in a beautiful, fun, safe neighborhood. I reckon, that would set me back at least $3500/month. So forget affordable city, that's never going to happen. Most of us with the education and skill sets in demand just want a salary high enough to be able to afford the market rate rents.
When you say more people moving in would make it unbearable, what about now? Isn't LA already unbearable with the traffic congestion and crowded conditions?

I used to live there when I was younger and it's much more congested now if you drive. The nice thing is if you live right in the city you don't have drive so much but if you live in an outlying area where it's cheaper, there isn't a lot of transit options.

I see it this way, people who live in LA pay a premium for the higher pay, good weather, beaches, culture, and so much to offer. But an average person who works and has to commute every day in all that traffic might not think the premium prices are worth it so they often look at cheaper cities to live out of state like Las Vegas, Phoenix, Salt Lake, or Denver. This causes LA to lose average people and then only the super wealthy can afford the high cost of things.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:38 PM

817 posts, read 753,062 times
Quote:
they often look at cheaper cities to live out of state like Las Vegas, Phoenix, Salt Lake, or Denver. This causes LA to lose average people and then only the super wealthy can afford the high cost of things.
True, but most Aerospace and entertainment related jobs don't exist in those cities. Those are 2 main economic drivers in L.A.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:03 PM

285 posts, read 301,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Plus COL relative to wages is just generally higher. While quality of life has certainly improved over the past 50 years, people could buy a house in LA in the 60s for $30,000-$40,000 (roughly a quarter-million today.) Nowadays, it's hard to find anything decent for double that.
How were wages in the 60s though? I bet much lower as well

Old 05-23-2017, 05:18 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhernandez View Post
How were wages in the 60s though? I bet much lower as well
The median worker in the US in 1965 earned $4,700/yr in '65 dollars

Old 05-23-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The median worker in the US in 1965 earned $4,700/yr in '65 dollars
That's about $36,000 per year today, which is only $12,000 per year less than the median LA wage today. Therefore, home prices have increased relative to wages (because we just aren't building enough.)

Old 05-23-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I disagree--I wouldn't want to live in a previous time period, and love modern day LA, but America certainly had fewer competitors back then (which isn't a good thing from a global perspective.)

Quote:
Perhaps UBI, universal stock ownership, or a shorter work week could be part of the solution, but every labor-saving machine in history has simple freed up labor to work in other sectors--not reduced time spent working.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
When you say more people moving in would make it unbearable, what about now? Isn't LA already unbearable with the traffic congestion and crowded conditions?
I don't think it is unbearable, and indeed the only way to ease home prices is to build more. The only way to make this work without harming QOL, however, is to build TOD and mixed use, which is fortunately what is happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles