Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 12:00 PM

150 posts, read 215,417 times

Advertisements

Why is there such apathy towards the growing number of homeless and the ever degrading quality of the downtown area?

I go to LA usually 1-2 times a year for work, and for the past two years or so, skid row and the number of homeless people just becomes larger, and things get uglier, yet I rarely hear citizens complain about it. Things used to be confined to the 5th and San Pedro area, but it looks to have spread like cancer from there. At least when I was there last week. It's like a living with a person who insidiously gets fat and you don't really realize it until they step on the scale months later. You need an outside opinion.

Listening to Eric Garcetti hear about it is so bizarre. There just seems to be so much apathy from city council. Instead of solving problems he seems more concerned with the "plight" of those in a sanctuary city (while still doing nothing about it).

Not to turn this into a "my city is better than yours" but I remember over a decade ago Toronto had a major looming garbage services strike in the middle of summer and stores were just leaving mountains of garbage on Yonge Street. After like two days random citizens started taking the garbage away themselves for the remainder of the strike, because they didn't want their city looking and smelling like crap. I just get the feeling that would never happen in LA in a million years.

It's just weird for a such an important city like LA to not care about how bad things are getting in it's downtown area.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 12:17 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
As you pointed out, you don't live here. I live here and there isn't a day that goes by that people I know don't mention homeless. Almost anywhere you live in LA county and beyond the homeless are part of your daily life on some level. Skid Row has gotten worse as DTLA has been built up in the past few years. Neighborhoods are being cleaned up little by little and homeless are being driven out and ending up on Skid Row. I'm all in favor of forcibly rounding them all up and dumping them out into a camp in the desert somewhere but that isn't happening. Laws in LA and CA are too liberal and that's probably never going to change. I have first hand experience with problem homeless people and people call cops everyday, cops come out, sometimes they kick the person off their corner or get them locked up for a day or two but most of them will always go back to that same corner they call home no matter how frequently they are harassed and chased off

Old 05-12-2017, 01:38 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,919,159 times
Because our current mayor is a mangina ****

Old 05-12-2017, 01:42 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
OP , I agree with you . You most likely haven't read my posts . I've been saying for a long time now about how the homeless situation is out of hand .
I had a lot of people arguing with me that the homeless don't cause crime etc , but since then LAPD is finally admitting that they homeless do commit many crimes .

It's clear that LAPD has been given the message from up top to leave the homeless alone unless they are activity killing someone .
It's one thing to show tolerance but we shouldn't tolerate aggressive panhandling, doing drugs in public , violent behavior etc .

Old 05-12-2017, 01:48 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
LA and NYC will never see a Riordan or Giuliani again. They will never elect a Republican or even a moderate Democrat.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
LA and NYC will never see a Riordan or Giuliani again. They will never elect a Republican or even a moderate Democrat.
Possibly if things get a lot worse with the homeless situation , crime etc

Crime was very bad in NYC before Giuliani and he brought it way down .
Meanwhile our current mayor thinks we should be all about thanking criminals for serving jail time and not "discriminating " against criminals .

"At the time Giuliani became Mayor, 2,000 murders occurred every year and 11,000 crimes occurred every week in New York City. With Giuliani as the mayor the crime rate dropped by 56% and is now considered one of the safest big cities in the country. Supporters of Giuliani contend that this is evidence of his leadership skills and efficiency.[1"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publ..._Rudy_Giuliani

Old 05-12-2017, 03:19 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Well, they had Darryl Gates, and his hard-line paramilitary style of law enforcement sowed the seeds of the 1992 King riots. Sometimes it's not always better to see every problem like a hammer sees a nail.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:35 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, they had Darryl Gates, and his hard-line paramilitary style of law enforcement sowed the seeds of the 1992 King riots. Sometimes it's not always better to see every problem like a hammer sees a nail.
What about Bratton? He was great tough police chief. Maybe you should stay in Silicon Valley. Liberals have destroyed that area we don't need that kind of "help" here

Old 05-12-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
So Gates is to blame for the riots ?

Old 05-12-2017, 03:41 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey joe-joe View Post
Why is there such apathy towards the growing number of homeless and the ever degrading quality of the downtown area?

I go to LA usually 1-2 times a year for work, and for the past two years or so, skid row and the number of homeless people just becomes larger, and things get uglier, yet I rarely hear citizens complain about it. Things used to be confined to the 5th and San Pedro area, but it looks to have spread like cancer from there. At least when I was there last week. It's like a living with a person who insidiously gets fat and you don't really realize it until they step on the scale months later. You need an outside opinion.

Listening to Eric Garcetti hear about it is so bizarre. There just seems to be so much apathy from city council. Instead of solving problems he seems more concerned with the "plight" of those in a sanctuary city (while still doing nothing about it).

Not to turn this into a "my city is better than yours" but I remember over a decade ago Toronto had a major looming garbage services strike in the middle of summer and stores were just leaving mountains of garbage on Yonge Street. After like two days random citizens started taking the garbage away themselves for the remainder of the strike, because they didn't want their city looking and smelling like crap. I just get the feeling that would never happen in LA in a million years.

It's just weird for a such an important city like LA to not care about how bad things are getting in it's downtown area.

Thoughts?
Spot on Joe. I was in skid row last month for the first time in years and was shocked at the size. It's a whole grid now... tents as far as you can see and we almost got car jacked. It's really a crisis and all the Mayor is talking about is bringing the Olympics here. I really fear for LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles