Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 04:32 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
You're a fool. The mentality is very simple to understand. It's expensive as hell. My mom pays 1,000 a month for 3 bedroom apartment close to Venice. She has every right and should be able to keep it that way. She's lived there a long time, why should she have to move?

The apartment is my childhood home. So many memories there. It's atrocious to think that she should get priced out over some greed.
Talk about entitlement mentality.
Why should she have to if necessary......
1) She doesn't own it.
2) Everybody else must change with the times. She's no different.
3) if she can afford $1000 per month, then can afford not to be homeless in LA.

Saying it's ur childhood home just makes this laughable. You do realize u live in a capitalist country right? Or you can do like the leader of the Cal-exit movement and move to Russia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 04:43 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,149,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Talk about entitlement mentality.
Why should she have to if necessary......
1) She doesn't own it.
2) Everybody else must change with the times. She's no different.
3) if she can afford $1000 per month, then can afford not to be homeless in LA.

Saying it's ur childhood home just makes this laughable. You do realize u live in a capitalist country right? Or you can do like the leader of the Cal-exit movement and move to Russia.

Talk about cold hearted people. Dang. Well more power to you. I'm sure you've got everything figured out.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Talk about cold hearted people. Dang. Well more power to you. I'm sure you've got everything figured out.
Not to be heartless, but adults need to be responsible for themselves and stop looking for permanent government intervention. I've been hit with rough times like everyone else. Came to LA with a couple of grand in cash, no car, job or place to live. Lost my job twice during the recession. I adjusted to both situations as I realized none of these many charities that the rich donate money too was gonna bail me out, so I had to help myself.

My mom recently left the northeast to go south b/c housing was no longer affordable in retirement (or desirable in freezing temps). People have to adjust to present circumstances. The cost of living in NYC had gotten out of reach, so she could either re-enter the workforce, or leave. She bounced. There's always options. Just Win Baby!!

Last edited by jacktravern; 05-15-2017 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 05-15-2017, 05:16 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,818,755 times
Quote:
You're a fool. The mentality is very simple to understand. It's expensive as hell. My mom pays 1,000 a month for 3 bedroom apartment close to Venice. She has every right and should be able to keep it that way. She's lived there a long time, why should she have to move?

The apartment is my childhood home. So many memories there. It's atrocious to think that she should get priced out over some greed.
Because she doesn't own the place. The end

Old 05-15-2017, 05:20 PM

Whatever. She will continue to live there as long as possible as she should.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Not to be heartless, but adults need to be responsible for themselves and stop looking for permanent government intervention. I've been hit with rough times like everyone else. Came to LA with a couple of grand in cash, no car, job or place to live. Lost my job twice during the recession. I adjusted to both situations as I realized none of these many charities that the rich donate money too was gonna bail me out, so I had to help myself.

My mom recently left the northeast to go south b/c housing was no longer affordable in retirement (or desirable in freezing temps). People have to adjust to present circumstances. The cost of living in NYC had gotten out of reach, so she could either re-enter the workforce, or leave. She bounced. There's always options. Just Win Baby!!

It's not easy and yeah, life can definitely be unfair at times. I'm grateful that she has it though. It's a great building and location and I had a great childhood there.

Sure, things are changing. I know the building owner is getting older and the area is changing with more mixed-use buildings springing up. Eventually the building will be replaced, but gotta take advantage until then.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:25 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,390,743 times
Quote:

NYC has rent control and I thought it was more strict than LA's version of it. I take it your mother was not in a rent controlled apartment or perhaps outside NYC in a non rent controlled building?

Old 05-15-2017, 05:25 PM

745 posts, read 1,283,935 times
The trick here is the upper classes depend heavily upon the underclasses for cheap labor, but they also depend upon allowing the underclasses to live in clown-houses with multiple families. Remove that ability and suddenly some combination of the following will happen: labor force drops which raises wages and, likely, lowers rents.

Of course such a law would never pass because rich people like to stay rich.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:51 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,818,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
The trick here is the upper classes depend heavily upon the underclasses for cheap labor, but they also depend upon allowing the underclasses to live in clown-houses with multiple families. Remove that ability and suddenly some combination of the following will happen: labor force drops which raises wages and, likely, lowers rents.

Of course such a law would never pass because rich people like to stay rich.
Everyone in the entire world relies on cheap labor. No matter what state or country you go to their are immigrants providing cheap labor.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
NYC has rent control and I thought it was more strict than LA's version of it. I take it your mother was not in a rent controlled apartment or perhaps outside NYC in a non rent controlled building?
She had a condo. Her and my dad's retirement income, along with constantly rising HOA fee's would've left them barely making it, or working a lot longer, and they both wanted to retire and enjoy it while they don't require the use of a cane or' have significant health issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles