Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 02:02 PM

277 posts, read 191,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Yeah you didn't read the thread before posting. OP followed up beneath yours, admitting he/she just likes to compare LA to Chicago being that it's his hometown and he knows it well.
Thanks for backing me up! I'm just curious, maybe you can answer.. Why does south California have such massive counties? Some of the counties are just unbelievable in size. The CSA of LA includes some counties that are sparsely populated in some areas. Why not chop-up those huge counties and give LA a more fair share in actual populated places? It would still be the largest CSA in the nation, but have only the populated areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 02:38 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByChance View Post
Thanks for backing me up! I'm just curious, maybe you can answer.. Why does south California have such massive counties? Some of the counties are just unbelievable in size. The CSA of LA includes some counties that are sparsely populated in some areas. Why not chop-up those huge counties and give LA a more fair share in actual populated places? It would still be the largest CSA in the nation, but have only the populated areas.
No idea, personally. But the idea of segmenting CA is one we revisit often.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Californias

Old 05-26-2017, 05:15 PM

992 posts, read 876,254 times
Quote:
I support this. However, the counties are so big because when they were created, Southern California was incredibly sparsely populated, so they gave them massive sizes to have enough people.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:08 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,876,072 times
In my opinion L.A is still able to function is because of it's many network of freeways and surface streets,and also many commuters use the bus and the metro,but also their is still so much more open land out there for The Greater L.A to expand stretching from the Beaches,The Valleys,The Mountains and The Deserts,so in other words their is a lot of breathing room.

I really don't know why some of the counties in Southern CA are that large in area,but I do know that L.A is finally building upwards which is a good thing.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:48 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
You're right, 4,850 square miles (12,561 km2) is the MSA of LA. That's less than half the size of Chicagoland. I guess it all comes down to your definition of Greater LA. A lot of the CSA is uninhabited.
I think you might be talking about urban areas. Not all of the population centers around LA are included in its urban area. Urban areas can have really different make ups than MSAs or CSAs.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrainmachine View Post
In terms of urbanized land, Greater Los Angeles is nowhere near the largest metro on Earth. It isn't even the largest in America - - NY tri-state area, Chicagoland and Greater Atlanta are all larger.
Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, Philadelphia, and Boston all take up more room as well.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:50 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
I have been to Chicago many times and have extended family there. Many of whom work for CPD.

People in Chicago think about SoCal, because they are blown away at how fast it passed them up.

To get LA, you have to understand it is 5 cities rolled into one. South Central, Central LA, West LA, East LA, and the Valley.

If you want a car free urban life, you just have to live in Central LA.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:13 AM

277 posts, read 191,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, Philadelphia, and Boston all take up more room as well.
It was ignorant of me to declare LA as the largest metro area on earth. Going by most factors, it's not even close. I was just going by the US governments CSA, which isn't fair to LA, because the Southern California counties are so large. Now that I think of it, it gets me angry that LA isn't treated fairly.

I'm sure LA is massive and a great city. Sorry if I offended anyone, I just wanted to blab-on about not needing a car in Chicago. I was ignorant, the CSA is stupid. And, California seriously needs to chop up those counties in my opinion.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
It was ignorant of me to declare LA as the largest metro area on earth. Going by most factors, it's not even close. I was just going by the US governments CSA, which isn't fair to LA, because the Southern California counties are so large. Now that I think of it, it gets me angry that LA isn't treated fairly.

I'm sure LA is massive and a great city. Sorry if I offended anyone, I just wanted to blab-on about not needing a car in Chicago. I was ignorant, the CSA is stupid. And, California seriously needs to chop up those counties in my opinion.
No problem.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:23 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Yeah you didn't read the thread before posting. OP followed up beneath yours, admitting he/she just likes to compare LA to Chicago being that it's his hometown and he knows it well.
What other city is he supposed to compare it to? his hometown is probably the city he knows about the most so it only makes sense to compare the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles