Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 02:49 PM

277 posts, read 191,353 times

Advertisements

I've read that LA wants to create a mass transit system that rivals NYC, and Chicago by 2035. I've read that NYC and DC have the most used mass transit trains in the nation. I can only attest to Chicago having a great mass transit rail system. On your average weekday 2 million Chicagoans and suburbanites commute by train or bus.

LA has a low use and underdeveloped rail system, though they have decent bus routes. By 2040, LA might have the largest metro area in the US by both population and area. The Greater LA area is nearly three times larger than Chicago. My question is how on earth does LA fuction in its current form? How is LA such a massive metropolis without having a world class mass transit rail system? At least 20% of Chicagoland folk commute by train and we still have intense traffic on both weekdays and weekends, LA is almost twice its size. Even in the city proper LA has more sprawl than Chicago, so how do people get around? I can't even image what Chicago would be like without CTA/Metra trains. Greater LA has the worst traffic of any American city by far, and it must be getting worse.

I just don't see how any city proper with 4 million people can fuction without a great train system. In LA, everything seems to require an automobile. People in Chicagoland often take for granted our beloved CTA and Metra trains. Really, I just can't image a modern developed city not having a great mass transit rail system.
Attached Thumbnails
How does LA manage the largest metro on earth?-image.png   How does LA manage the largest metro on earth?-image.gif  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 03:08 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Why are you asking this in the MA forum?

Old 05-21-2017, 03:10 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Why are you asking this in the MA forum?
He likes us.

(I'll move it.)

Old 05-21-2017, 03:42 PM

285 posts, read 301,337 times
Short answer is: when talking about traffic it doesn't function (or functions with a lot of difficulty). Bumper to bumper traffic, gridlock, congestion, freeways turned into parking lots (...) are words/sentences every Angeleno is well aware of.
But it's still a city with good economy, amazing entertainment options and outstanding weather and natural beauty so people do their best to deal with traffic when going to work/going to have fun

Old 05-21-2017, 04:06 PM

Sorry, my mistake.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:18 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
LA has one of the busiest light rail systems in the world. LA heavy rail has massive use, considering how small it is.

The simple answer is that LA got a much later start, as it is a newer city.

The real question is, why is Chicago such an armpitt? And why do people in Chicago OBSESS themselves with California? Half of LA does not know Chicago exists. And the other half, does not particularly care.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:25 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,916,788 times
I would ride the LA Metro but unfortunately I am not poor, homeless, or illegal.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
LA has one of the busiest light rail systems in the world. LA heavy rail has massive use, considering how small it is.

The simple answer is that LA got a much later start, as it is a newer city.

The real question is, why is Chicago such an armpitt? And why do people in Chicago OBSESS themselves with California? Half of LA does not know Chicago exists. And the other half, does not particularly care.
Kind-hearted fella, aren't you. You must really love your city. I bet you're very liked and have many friends. maybe instead of saying my hometown sucks, you can express why your city is so great? But no, right? I bet you think your the best thing LA has to offer too. I would feel sorry for you, but you're clearly the happy go getter elite of "Your Home". Dang, from the way you write I bet your worth at least 10 million in LA royalty. how unlucky I am to be from Chicago and not know you

By the way, LA is a lot older than Chicago. My hometown didn't become a city until 1837. I bet you don't even know when LA was founded. Do you? Obviously not.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:14 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByChance View Post
Kind-hearted fella, aren't you. You must really love your city. I bet you're very liked and have many friends. maybe instead of saying my hometown sucks, you can express why your city is so great? But no, right? I bet you think your the best thing LA has to offer too. I would feel sorry for you, but you're clearly the happy go getter elite of "Your Home". Dang, from the way you write I bet your worth at least 10 million in LA royalty. how unlucky I am to be from Chicago and not know you

By the way, LA is a lot older than Chicago. My hometown didn't become a city until 1837. I bet you don't even know when LA was founded. Do you? Obviously not.
Chicago L train started operations in 1892. The city had 1 million people at that point. Los Angeles was a small town of 50,000 people at that point.

Try to use your brain and think about this.

I know that in the span of less than 100 years, LA has surpassed Chicago in population, GDP, and national favor. So the famous Chicago inferiority complex always rears its ugly head towards LA from time to time.

Despite a better rail system, the majority of people in the LA area have no desire to be like Chicago. In fact, more people from Chicagoland move to LA, than the other way around.

It's funny to see Chicago people brag about their downtown, the cubs, and choo choo trains, as the city becomes gangsterville and leads the nation in murders. More murders than LA and NYC combined!

Old 05-21-2017, 08:06 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
People sit in traffic. That's how we deal with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles