Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 05:25 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
There's a lot of wealth inheritance in LA. When I lived in the midwest, people were extremely bothered when they heard so & so's family paid a small down payment on a house. In LA, you'll see younger people driving in new Ferrari's, no one blinks.

People simply don't care what the next person does, which is the opposite of most places.
midwest people are uptight and nosy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 06:05 PM

5 posts, read 7,398 times
Haha hey Dallas (my latitudinally-aka climate) and culturally similar sister/brother city- Atlanta here.
Also, relocating there this summer.
Loving the Plano but whiter and hotter(def dryer) comparison...Yeah-I'd love a Los Colinas, but guessing I'd not be able to afford it.
If Santa Clarita is plano, I'd say slymar is killeen for sure, and getting rougher by the month. Just pushing sketchier san fernando east.
Just my observations in stalking all SF valley and nearby real estate since February.lol
Afraid I'll be stuck in boring af Simi (I'm single, no mommy) just by price to start, but we'll see.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:15 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Also...

Regarding Camarillo, it doesn't get as hot as some of the other communities mentioned. It's closer to the ocean & gets an ocean breeze...or at least it used to. It also has a University, CSU Channel Islands.

Simi Valley...it also has a lot of law enforcement residents, especially LAPD. And, it gets VERY hot there, definitely need a/c.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:55 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,305,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
The general Socal "aura" could probably best be summarized as a love of the outdoors and things outdoorsy. Then when you get to certain areas, there are other "vibes" that are common. Santa Rosa Valley is very much a "country" vibe with horses everywhere and large lots. It's lovely there, BTW, but a PITA to get to & from. Santa Clarita is mostly families & tract homes (large & small) and has a real "Mommie" vibe since it seems that everyone has kids. I'm pretty sure that Simi Valley & Camarillo don't really have a personality. Hope that helps.
Family tract homes = Mommie vibe. LOL!

Old 06-01-2017, 08:16 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,305,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoking View Post
We will be moving to a suburb of LA late this summer. I was just thinking about how every major region of the country has an aura and personality.

Midwest transparency. The fast and brash northeast. We are in Dallas where there is supposedly "southern hospitality" which Chicago actually had more of (I have lived there too). A dominant quality of Dallas to me seems to be more the ability to judge and thump a bible haha (they don't call this the Bible Belt for no reason - but I digress).

Anyhow, wondering how you guys would characterize the prevailing aura and personality of SoCal? Obvious cliches are more laid back and more liberal but do add color. We are looking forward to settling in soon ;-).
I will try to answer you inquiry with as much candor as possible. The difficulty is that each era has a vibe or zeitgeist and then changes. A Socal vibe also has a lot to do with weather and scent. This is where Socal is special. The Santa Ana winds have a strange mystique, the aroma of pine, eucalyptus and sage is what you can expect to smell on the air, also car exhaust and smog, even at the beaches. The old stereotypes of laid backness are true is some regard depending on your lifestyle choice. Careerists more uptight. bohemian/surfer/gypsy/homeless by choice more laid back. Some told me once Socal is 'aggressively relaxed' Lol. I say pay attention to the beauty and natural charms that still exist. Salt air, desert winds and the smell of fresh Mexican food for roasting on a grill.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:36 PM

911 posts, read 2,599,691 times
midwest has transparency? no.

they if anything are the kings of screaming how diverse they are until you talk about rights for black people. then they show themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles