Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 06:06 PM

40 posts, read 170,037 times

Advertisements

This might be silly question, and I am not sure if there is even such a thing. Is there a way to look up a building or apartment to see if its Earthquake safe? Just a piece of mind I guess.. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 06:26 PM

285 posts, read 301,337 times
Nowhere in LA is earthquake safe, meaning earthquakes can strike anywhere in the city.

All buildings are built following strict codes that make sure they are able to resist an earthquake.

My advice to you is to avoid buildings that have a soft first floor (ie: buildings where the garage is the first floor and apartments are above it).
Also Google about "liquefaction" areas in LA.
Those are areas where the soil is saturated or sandy which makes it susceptible to cause more damage when an earthquake strikes.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:51 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
Your best bet would be newer construction. I know that when they rebuilt my townhouse after the 1994 quake they followed 1995 codes which were MUCH stricter that the 1978 codes it was originally built with. Now we have sheer walls between each unit and other enhancements.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:06 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Your best bet would be newer construction. I know that when they rebuilt my townhouse after the 1994 quake they followed 1995 codes which were MUCH stricter that the 1978 codes it was originally built with. Now we have sheer walls between each unit and other enhancements.
Agree, when earthquake construction codes are updated, existing structures are grandfathered. Although there may be some future retrofits required, for now, the newer a building, the more strict codes it was built under.

The biggest risk of injury during a quake is falling furniture and other unsecured objects. For structures, the big risks are surface rupture, liquidation, and tsunamis. Tsunamis are rare in So-Cal. Liquidation and fault rupture risk zone maps can be founds at the California Geological Survey:

CGS Information Warehouse

Keep in mind there is some debate amongst scientists what age the last earthquake had to occur for a fault to be active (but generally agreed to be about ~10,000 years), and geology isn't an exact science, so some faults one geologist may think ruptured 9,500 years ago and another might think it was 10,500 years.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:10 PM

240 posts, read 240,155 times
Agreed with the new construction/ grandfathered comments. Also a note on liquefaction... it can literally change on the same street. Most of the valley is considered liquefaction zone. There is a report called a Natural Hazard Disclosure that gets done for sales. I've never tried it, but you might be able to have an NHD report done on an apartment you're interested in? The costs are nominal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles