Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 11:11 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,860,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Well, here in Ohio I've been waiting for 20 years, and am still in the red.

Most of the potential areas that I'm considering are in LA County. My prior LA-area experience was in Pasadena... an independent school district, but at least at the time a lousy one. The middle school was OK, but the high school was reputedly atrocious. A couple - close friends of mine - relocated to South Pasadena, specifically because their son was about to enter 9th grade. When he graduated from high school, they moved back to Pasadena.

In a perverse sense, that very thing is my hope. But articulating such hope makes me feel like the obnoxious jerks who wish for a crash in the stock market, so that they - who had been waffling and timorous all of these years - could finally see their opportunity to swoop in. So, with that disclaimer, the hope is that property prices would actually drift down, until they reach some swoop-in opportunity.
The poster ment LA city not LA county. Compared to Ohio anywhere in LA, and I mean anywhere you'd be able to gain some kind of equity withing a few years recession or not. I personally wouldn't get my hopes up on people moving out driving prices down abnormally low that type of thing doesn't happen in SoCal. San Pedro is still nicer than Compton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 10:11 AM

12,305 posts, read 8,005,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaleigh5 View Post
I live in Pedro. Where I am is okay, but it's because I'm on the Palos Verdes line. We still get homeless drug addicts screaming outside our gate (We are in Air Force housing). I wouldn't buy here. The biggest issue is that Pedro is part of LA county and that comes with all their problems. There is a level of lawlessness because there isn't police to report to the area. Also, the schools are horrible. My oldest goes to middle school in Palos Verdes but my younger two are in Pedro. They don't have a nurse, guidance counselor, music, PE or art teacher. There is no organization, you never get emails back for anything. It's a hot mess. IMO, most families won't want to buy into a community like this. Unless they fix these issues, I don't see the property values going up. I have heard that is what the goal is though, so people will flee and developers can buy up everything for pennies and then revamp, resell and make a fortune. Not sure if it's true though, but it wouldn't surprise me. We can't wait to get out of here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
The poster meant LA city not LA county. Compared to Ohio anywhere in LA, and I mean anywhere you'd be able to gain some kind of equity withing a few years recession or not. I personally wouldn't get my hopes up on people moving out driving prices down abnormally low that type of thing doesn't happen in SoCal. San Pedro is still nicer than Compton.
While San Pedro is part of the city of Los Angeles with the LAPD Harbor Division that OP did mention Palos Verdes and may be talking about unincorporated land between the two cities policed by the LA County Sheriff Deputies out of Lomita with the Highway Patrol doing primary traffic enforcement.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:58 PM

13,577 posts, read 9,594,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
While San Pedro is part of the city of Los Angeles with the LAPD Harbor Division that OP did mention Palos Verdes and may be talking about unincorporated land between the two cities policed by the LA County Sheriff Deputies out of Lomita with the Highway Patrol doing primary traffic enforcement.
Yes, I misspoke. I meant all geographic locations that answer to LA City Hall, and belong to LA Unified School District, whether or not they have a specific place-name. For example, Highland Park is its own place-name, but is part of LA City.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Yes, I misspoke. I meant all geographic locations that answer to LA City Hall, and belong to LA Unified School District, whether or not they have a specific place-name. For example, Highland Park is its own place-name, but is part of LA City.
Why do you feel LAPD doesn't do a good enough job enforcing complaints? They have the harbor division serving San Pedo, and the Harbor area. For LAUSD the schools serving San Pedro aren't even bad schools. They aren't Paoles Verdes Good, but they are decent schools they have 4 elementary schools that are 8 star rating winch is pretty good for one neighborhood.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:17 AM

13,577 posts, read 9,594,825 times
I don't have strong feelings either way. Rather, the point was raised by others, at least implicitly, that real-estate prospects might be better in independent cities which aren't under the LA-city umbrella. This would imply a negative against San Pedro, not for any fault of its own, but simply by association.

We therefore have another topic for discussion: is there any credence to the assertion, that within LA-County, places covered by LA-City itself, are somehow less desirable?

Old 02-28-2019, 01:24 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,668,884 times
Short answer is no. My sister has a house in North OC, much safer than San Pedro for less than a million, actually about $600k. A military guy just got a VA loan and bought next to her. I take that area over San Pedro. Some part of Long Beach like Belmont Shore or Park is better than San Pedro.
No I’m not selling that house, one of my brothers will purchase that house once my sister retires to keep it in the family. That house is within commuting distance to most LA area.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 02-28-2019 at 01:40 AM..

Old 02-28-2019, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 912 times
Where are the cheapest and safest places one can live in California. Please can someone help me?

Old 03-01-2019, 01:01 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,668,884 times
It’s a big state.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I don't have strong feelings either way. Rather, the point was raised by others, at least implicitly, that real-estate prospects might be better in independent cities which aren't under the LA-city umbrella. This would imply a negative against San Pedro, not for any fault of its own, but simply by association.

We therefore have another topic for discussion: is there any credence to the assertion, that within LA-County, places covered by LA-City itself, are somehow less desirable?
Not at all look at Brentwood, Bel-Air, and Pacific Palisades all of winch are within the City. If anything it raises the prices considering it's all LAUSD.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielleoji View Post
Where are the cheapest and safest places one can live in California. Please can someone help me?
Chino hills, Temecula, and Rancho Cucamonga.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles