Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 03:57 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Take the MSF safety course first. They have bikes for you to use, so you don't need one to take the course. Riding a motorcycle is VERY different than driving a car, particularly in L.A..
I would echo this idea too.

I was a teenager and my first vehicles was a bike. This was a long long time ago and I really liked it. It was fun but I had a few close calls with people making left turns in front of you at intersections. Need to really pay attention. I haven't had a bike in a long time and I see them and I sorta long for having one.

I usually snap out of it pretty quickly thinking about how dangerous they can be. Got a friend who was firefighter/EMT and he told me a couple of grisly stories and I think about them to help remind me about bikes.

To answer the OP I wouldn't own a bike in the LA area. Someplace less crazy and crowded maybe, but not here. LOL.

They don't call them donorcycles for no reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 05:09 PM

51 posts, read 37,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I actually had a 350. It's great for around town but underpowered for the freeway. They are also ridiculously overpriced in LA thanks to the hipster tax. You can pay $2000-5000 for a relatively stock one in LA depending on condition when you could get the same one for $500-1000 in another state
Well the only car I wanted was a Nissan 240sx and here in LA they are either really messed up for $2k or really good for like $6k and I can get a CB for cheaper.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:22 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Ok, so, why? My son, who is an Army Ranger, nearly screwed up his entire future on a motorcycle. He hit a pothole and messed up his shoulder, big time. My son's brother in law has brain damage and will never be normal because of a motorcycle accident.

Motorcycles are stupid vehicles, for stupid people.

Even experienced motorcycle owners dump the bikes sometimes. Furthermore, most of us know enough to come in out of the rain, snow, sleet, etc....except for motorcycle owners. They make mo sense.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ok, so, why? My son, who is an Army Ranger, nearly screwed up his entire future on a motorcycle. He hit a pothole and messed up his shoulder, big time. My son's brother in law has brain damage and will never be normal because of a motorcycle accident.

Even experienced motorcycle owners dump the bikes sometimes. Furthermore, most of us know enough to come in out of the rain, snow, sleet, etc....except for motorcycle owners. They make mo sense.
I don't care

Old 06-04-2017, 07:28 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

Sorry for your family troubles on motorcycles but this is an ignorant post by an obviously uptight cager.
I rode motorcycles for 53 years and never dropped a bike or had an accident. Of course I had to be particularly vigilant for the cagers that constantly made left turns in front of me and every other idiotic maneuver you can think of. Who knows, maybe I even flipped you off.
OP - I'm in agreement with other posters about the motorcycle course and maybe find a bike with more power than the cb350.
Anyway, just always stay focused and you will be fine - plus finding parking is so easy! Cagers are just jealous they aren't riding a motorcycle.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:39 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZone17 View Post
I had my license for a year and don't have a car yet and now I'm bored of cars and I'm thinking about getting a motorcycle now. I know it is a bad idea in LA but oh well.
How is that you are "bored of cars"? What makes a person "bored" of cars? As a biker with more than 20 years experience, I think that it is a MUST for anyone considering a motorcycle to attend one of those riding courses.

Also, you dont want to motorcycle to be your only method of transportation. You still want access to a car.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Agree with Kings Gambit. You don't even own a car yet you are bored of them? I predict by this time next week you will be bored of motorcycles.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:11 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times
I used to race Superbikes and wouldn't ride streets in the LA basin. Too many dopes.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Agree with Kings Gambit. You don't even own a car yet you are bored of them? I predict by this time next week you will be bored of motorcycles.
The only car I want is too expensive for it's quality and I'm not a wage slave commuting to work 20 miles and back everday. I'd probably just cruise around short distances on the motorcycle.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:53 PM

210 posts, read 200,255 times
Rider here. 2-wheels vehicles are a valid commuting alternative. They are much cheaper than cars, faster and more reliable than the public transportation. Now it is important to understand and accept the fact that the risk of an injury is much higher than with a car or the bus. Also, a motorcycle is not as adequate for the long commutes so typical of LA since longer rides wear down the machines much fast faster and tend to be uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles