Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 08:42 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
This post is kind of all over the place, or you didn't express yourself clearly. In one moment, you're encouraging the OP to look way up north in Antelope Valley, not taking their work situation into account, then you saying living in the San Gabriel Valley is the equivalent of living in Phoneix or Barstow if you want to enjoy the LA beaches You're literally comparing a 35 miles to one that is well over 100.

Then in another moment, you say how those who "don't live west of the 405 are not part of the cool kids club", but then type how you sold your enormous house in Rancho Cucamonga and bought a studio in Manhattan Beach, and then go on to say coastal residents are snobby for their thinking. And Azuza is not Redondo Beach, sorry.

You can sell for $370 but
1) Have you not paid for any maintenance at all, or at $345 its been all easy going like a brand new house?
2) If you sold for 370, will that $370 get you something nicer and more inland than where you live right now?

Sometimes the equity only counts for anything if you are going to leave town, move to a neighborhood that's worst or downsize
I hear you. I have no plans to sell until I eventually leave town. Even then it may make more sense to keep it as a rental property. Right now I'm just enjoying knowing that my monthly housing payment is fixed and not going to get jacked up 35% after a year like my last place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 09:12 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I hear you. I have no plans to sell until I eventually leave town. Even then it may make more sense to keep it as a rental property. Right now I'm just enjoying knowing that my monthly housing payment is fixed and not going to get jacked up 35% after a year like my last place
Yeah, thankfully I haven't had to experience any madness of a jump like that. If i was paying the 2K per month neighborhood, I'd probably investigate the condo route a bit more In fact from nightmare stories I hear from other renters in LA, I think I will kick it here in my spot for awhile

The OP seems like they are willing to shell out a decent coin. But to get what they are looking for, perhaps they will have to shell out a bit more. Orrrrr, check for a location with lower cost.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:41 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Yes it's typical especially in SGV where you are competing with Chinese cash buyers.
Agreed.
Mega-mansions in this L.A. suburb used to sell to Chinese buyers in days. Now they're sitting empty for months - LA Times

Old 06-11-2017, 08:01 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
I'm generally in favor of free markets but there's got to be some sort of regulation against this sort of behavior of buying up houses and letting them sit vacant. At least they should rent out the properties - there's plenty of people who will be willing to rent them, and they'd make even more money that way.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:02 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
Have you looked at Duarte? It's pretty much the only safe area in the SGV that is at least somewhat reasonably priced.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:01 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenifying View Post
We've been looking around a bit and have gone to a few open houses. We are looking for a family friendly area (with decent public or proximate to good private schools) at least 2bd, 1 bath with a fenced backyard. It seems like the competition is super steep here. We were looking at a house listed at 599K and it went for 675K. Is this typical? Any thoughts or guidance?

Once. Just once. Once I would love to see a post where someone says "looking for a house in an crime-ridden, run-down area with crummy schools."

Old 06-11-2017, 11:22 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I'm generally in favor of free markets but there's got to be some sort of regulation against this sort of behavior of buying up houses and letting them sit vacant. At least they should rent out the properties - there's plenty of people who will be willing to rent them, and they'd make even more money that way.
I think I remember reading that article . It sounds like perhaps the house was built as a spec house.
It said the $9.8 million home was in the market for 2 months that's really not long for a house that expensive even in a hot market .

The San Gabriel Valley is very popular with wealthy Chinese buyers and China has cracked down on people taking money out of the country .

Old 06-11-2017, 11:23 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Once. Just once. Once I would love to see a post where someone says "looking for a house in an crime-ridden, run-down area with crummy schools."
That's always pretty easy to do though just look for the cheapest homes in L.A .

Old 06-11-2017, 11:28 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I disagree. He who has the gold makes the rules. If these people are buying houses, that is their right. Who is anyone to question WHY they are buying....even if the objective is to get inventory off the market in order to intentionally drive up prices even further? Is it a crummy thing to do? Yeah, perhaps it is. Is it fair? It is if both buyer and seller agree on the terms. The whims and desires of an outside uninvolved third party such as yourself are completely irrelevant. Is it illegal? Should it be illegal? My answer is an emphatic NO.

If you want the house, all you have to do is keep increasing your offer price until a seller accepts. If you are unable or unwilling to do so, then perhaps YOU are the problem. Maybe a readjustment of your wish list is in order. But no seller should be compelled or forced to accept a LOWER price just because it makes your life easier.

And let's be honest. If the shoe was on the other foot, you too would be selling to the highest bidder. I don't believe for a second that ANY of you would leave money on the table just out of a sense of altruistic, from your heart kindness. You made your sale. You get your money. Who cares what the buyer intends to do with the purchase or like I said-even why they bought it. All of this groveling is nothing more than pedantic grousing from disgruntled priced out renters who have expectations that are simply unreasonable and unrealistic given how disconnected they are from the realities of the market.

Pay up or move on.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:33 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
I disagree. He who has the gold makes the rules. If these people are buying houses, that is their right. Who is anyone to question WHY they are buying....even if the objective is to get inventory off the market in order to intentionally drive up prices even further? Is it a crummy thing to do? Yeah, perhaps it is. Is it fair? It is if both buyer and seller agree on the terms. The whims and desires of an outside uninvolved third party such as yourself are completely irrelevant. Is it illegal? Should it be illegal? My answer is an emphatic NO.

If you want the house, all you have to do is keep increasing your offer price until a seller accepts. If you are unable or unwilling to do so, then perhaps YOU are the problem. Maybe a readjustment of your wish list is in order. But no seller should be compelled or forced to accept a LOWER price just because it makes your life easier.

And let's be honest. If the shoe was on the other foot, you too would be selling to the highest bidder. I don't believe for a second that ANY of you would leave money on the table just out of a sense of altruistic, from your heart kindness. You made your sale. You get your money. Who cares what the buyer intends to do with the purchase or like I said-even why they bought it. All of this groveling is nothing more than pedantic grousing from disgruntled priced out renters who have expectations that are simply unreasonable and unrealistic given how disconnected they are from the realities of the market.

Pay up or move on.
Uncomfortable for many, but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles