Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 12:14 AM

485 posts, read 1,703,688 times

Advertisements

Oh, I really feel for you since you have a major decision to make. I made my husband move to L.A. with me before we had kids because I just HAD to see what it was like - I didn't want regrets. I am really glad that I came, but I surely didn't find that this place is all that I had dreamed about, job-wise. I work in entertainment publicity and found that the stuff I had to put up with on a daily basis (infamous diva attitudes, long hours, lack of respect) where just not worth the low pay I was getting. I am still very glad that I came and experienced everything. If I do stay here in the long term, I won't be working in entertainment.

Oh, and whoever said that age and marital status plays a part when looking for employment in entertainment is right to a point. I believe I was turned down a for a few jobs because I am married - the interviewers asked if I was married and then literally said that the position might not be right for me because I would be working long hours. I tried telling them it didn't matter, but it did to them and I didn't get the jobs. I have even been asked if I have kids - this is an illegal question, but they will ask. I have been told to "wait to have kids" after I was offered a position, so that I was available to work longer hours and devote more time to the job. Yes, this company was very shady, but there are many like it in the ent. industry. I would never let my age stop me from pursuing a dream, though, so don't let that get to you. You are still very young.

I am not sure what your wife would make as a teller, but I am guessing about $14-$15 an hour. Rent for a one-bedroom in a decent area will be at least $14-1500 a month (believe me, I have researched this). I am a freelance writer right now, and my husband makes about $30/hour as a carpenter- and we are struggling to keep up with bills and trying to have a little bit of a social life.

We are also planning on starting a family soon, so I did some research on daycares and it looks like it is very expensive for newborns - I would suggest calling some daycare centers and asking since I couldn't find much info. on websites. From what I saw, it looks like it will be about $300/wk for a baby under two - not worth it for me to work at $15/hour.

I agree with the other suggestions - either enroll in some film classes where you are, or move here and try to do some PA work while getting CA residency for a year. Then you can get in-state tuition at Cal-State Northridge, which has a really, really good film and TV program - check it out. It will be WAY cheaper than going to a private film school. If you write, get a screenwriting program for your computer and get started now!

Good luck, and just take everything into consideration. I would say that unless you can make a combined amount of at least $30 an hour that you will be struggling a lot here, even with just a one bedroom. I know because I live it. I really do hope that you get to live out your dreams someday, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 08:51 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
This is such wise advice. And has nothing to do with naysaying. This is someone giving you the real deal.
Wow so basically what you rpv are saying is that one is stuck in a job for the rest of their lives by 34 because you can't change careers? Nothing could be further from the truth. Of course it depends on what industry you are trying to work in, but it's preservance and talent that counts no matter where you are. I'm 39 and changing careers and I'm having no problem. I also kknow that if I wanted to return to music, basically starting over, I could do it. I'm sorry you've had such a hard time getting in the door. "hand-it-to-me" doesn't cut it in any industry, especially the entertainment field. No one who is successful says "oh I was just sitting there and it fell in my lap and now I can't make it go away". It's about working hard, networking well, and never giving up. To me, success isn't measured in money but accomplishments. You have do decide what do you want to accomplish and figure out how to do it. You may have to take several different paths to get where you want to be. If you have an open mind and work hard, you can make it. But like with anything, you have to know your limitations and stick to them.

My favorite quote is Donald Trump, "if you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life." There are guys who want to play in the Major leagues (baseball) but they never get out of the Minors. Most of them won't give up until they are physically unable to play anymore. Do any of them regret it? I'm sure a few do, but most of them are happy. They got paid to play baseball. No, they weren't in the big stadium and they aren't famous, but how many guys played in the majors and no one except die hard fans knows their name?

All that being said, the most important thing is: Family comes first. Jobs and careers will come and go, your family is here to stay. Don't blow family for a career. Nobody died saying they wished they'd worked harder.

Good Luck.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:45 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,752,614 times
Hey gypsystar, what makes you say that CSUN has such a good program?

Did you encounter a lot of alumni with your industry work?

Im choosing CSUN because my grades weren't good enough for UCLA/USC, and everyone really brings down CSUN. I know it's not the greatest, but does it turn out a lot of professionals?

Old 03-11-2008, 09:16 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Hey gypsystar, what makes you say that CSUN has such a good program?

Did you encounter a lot of alumni with your industry work?

Im choosing CSUN because my grades weren't good enough for UCLA/USC, and everyone really brings down CSUN. I know it's not the greatest, but does it turn out a lot of professionals?
That's not true at all. Cal State Northridge has a lot of very good programs and TV/Film and Music are among them. Also, there are a LOT of movies and TV shows filmed on campus, so there are networking opportunities. Please remember UCLA/USC have five times as many applications as a Cal State School because they are more popular (nationally televised basketball and football teams don't hurt). That doesn't mean the Cal State schools aren't just as good, they just aren't as well known. That said, be careful some Cal State schools really suck (CSULA).

Old 03-12-2008, 12:36 AM

202 posts, read 872,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durham79 View Post
My wife and I have been planning on moving to LA, I want to attend film school which can be expensive on its on but worse than that we found out right before we were planning on leaving that my wife was pregnant. So we have decided to stay put while we have the baby and then we are thinking of moving to LA around the first of 09'. I am 28 and served six years in the military out of high school and then graduated form college in December, I have a degree in GIS and my wife is a bank tellar. As you can see we don't make a ton of money. I would prefer to work at a non career type job at nights so I can focus on school and film. However with the baby we will have to have daycare and we cannot afford for my wife to not work even though i feel like most of her paycheck will be toward daycare. I am terrified about going to LA and getting a huge debt over our heads and never being able to climb out of it. Right now we own our own house and the mortgage is only 286 a month. I know going to LA is a huge risk but I dont want to live my life always wondering or regretting following a dream. So if anyone has any opinions on the following I would be appreciative.

1. What does daycare cost in LA for a baby(Average price to expect)?

2. Anything I should be leary about concerning daycare in LA?

3. Have any of you moved to LA in this same situation to chase a dream and then get in debt over you head. Was it worth knowing you gave it a shot for the debt you accumulated?

4. Right now my wife makes around 11 dollars and hour as a bank tellar. Is the job market a higher paying market jobs such as this?

5. What does healthcare cost for a family of three in california(avg)?

6. Any advice on moving to La with a newborn is appreciated.
I'd be worried too.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:56 AM

116 posts, read 614,254 times
As amc70 mentioned, why not look at another part of the country with an active film community. Once you have your baby, they really will become the primary motivation in life. This doesn't mean you should put aside your dreams, it only means that their quality of life becomes priority number one.

Hey, I now live in Portland and Portland (and the Pac NW in general) has a very active film communities. There are always productions going on around Portland, and of course Seattle and Vancouver are hotbeds of production. There are local film schools here too. Of course, the area is significantly more affordable than L.A.. You could go to school here, get some experience, and if things work out...you can always move to L.A. once you have your career established.

Although I have friends who work in Hollywood (primarily in post-production) I am not sure how realistic this option is in terms of gaining employment in the industry. Maybe others could share their experiences working in tv/film production and living outside L.A..

Old 03-12-2008, 07:03 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
Durham, please think very carefully before making this move. It's not only about you and your needs now. You have a child to consider, and also your wife's happiness. A house you own, and a low mortgage payment is not to be taken lightly! Just ask any of us who rent here. Life throws us curve balls for a reason, and maybe this is a test of your character and how selfless you can be. Uprooting your family to try to "live your dream" is not a good idea at this time; at least wait until your child is in school, and the day care costs would be a lot less.

I wonder if anyone urging you to "go for it" has ever had children. They require a great deal of sacrifice, and you need to do what's best for them. Welcome to parenthood.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:51 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
1. What does daycare cost in LA for a baby(Average price to expect)?
The wife and I are expecting any day now so I have some numbers for you on this one. You're looking at $12.00 to $15.00 per hour for in home infant/baby care. Around $1200-$1400 per month for a "drop off" baby day care. We were lucky to find a Russian lady for $700 per month in Sherman Oaks. She doesnt speak English but since my wife and in-laws are all Russian it works great for us.

2. Anything I should be leary about concerning daycare in LA?
For me, I wanted to make sure there is no pool on the premise (lots of homes converted into daycare), there was sufficient adult to child ratio, and that all adults were child CPR certified (not regular CPR but CHILD CPR). I would also prefer that at a day care facility English is the only language that is spoken (by adults and children). Will be difficult enough for my child to learn english and russian so I do not want another language thrown in the mix.

3. Have any of you moved to LA in this same situation to chase a dream and then get in debt over you head. Was it worth knowing you gave it a shot for the debt you accumulated? I havent personally and it will be very difficult to do. But if you're chasing a dream it could be worth it.

4. Right now my wife makes around 11 dollars and hour as a bank tellar. Is the job market a higher paying market jobs such as this? She should try to secure employment with a financial services type bank or broker dealer (BofA Investments, IndyMac, CW Investments, UBS). Since she has banking product knowledge it would be easier for her to gain employment with these companies but she will need to study and obtain her NASD Series 6 and/or Series 7 licensing. Her earning potential will be much greater than being a teller.

5. What does healthcare cost for a family of three in california(avg)? Depends on the type of coverage (PPO, POS, HMO) but most employers will pick up most of the costs with employee contributing $100 - $300 per month for family coverage.

6. Any advice on moving to La with a newborn is appreciated. Money will be tight at first so dont worry about moving into the most expensive areas (Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Santa Monica, Encino, West Hollywood) at first. Goal should be to find employment first, then get here. You wont need to worry about schools for your child for 5-6 years so by that time you could move to an area that has good/safe schools.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:53 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,752,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
That's not true at all. Cal State Northridge has a lot of very good programs and TV/Film and Music are among them. Also, there are a LOT of movies and TV shows filmed on campus, so there are networking opportunities. Please remember UCLA/USC have five times as many applications as a Cal State School because they are more popular (nationally televised basketball and football teams don't hurt). That doesn't mean the Cal State schools aren't just as good, they just aren't as well known. That said, be careful some Cal State schools really suck (CSULA).
Yeah, Im not really interested in campus life. I just want a good education and to pick up some skills that will help me find some kind of work.
I'm nearly 22 already, and transferring kind of late so I could care less about going to a "cool" college, haha.

Thanks your comment is reassuring.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:50 AM

36 posts, read 108,275 times
Honestly... btdt and although we don't regret living in LA for five years and then having to move back home, but we do regret getting in over our heads for a student loan that is ridiculous.

We have kids. It was really hard on me as a wife and mom to have my dh gone for 16+ hours at school or on projects for school. If you want an education, awesome, go to CSUN and live on campus or in Canoga Park/West Hills. We had a really awesome apartment in West Hills for 1000 a month. It rocked. Really quiet and in a great, great, great neighborhood. Lots of familes, horses, open space, etc.

I had to work full time to support my husband. I made 35k a year and I'm sorry, that is just NOT enough to live off of in LA. You need to make at least 50k to be able to not feel the pinch or ask for help every now and then from family.

My dh went to LA Film School. He made good friends, but it's ridiculously expensive for a one year program. I just posted about this, so I need not repeat myself. Anyways, my dh is a writer/director and honestly we would probably have done better had he gotten into editing or sound or even if he was a DP. There are more jobs available for them.

My dh works now at Trader Joes, but writes and directs when he can. Which is few and far between because he does have a family to help support and he's not really well known.

If I were you... do what other previous posters have suggested. Find a program in a cheaper city (we live in Seattle now, I grew up in Portland, the film scene isn't too shabby up here) where your wife won't be so stressed out about making ends meet and taking care of a baby at the same time. Women already are super hormonal after having a baby. But add all the baby care, sleep deprivation, the hormones, extra weight AND the stress of being the main bread winner. Yeah, you have a real good combination for some awesome Post Partum Depression right there.

Don't give up your dreams, just find a way to go about them where your wife won't resent you in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles