Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2017, 06:55 PM

276 posts, read 575,942 times

Advertisements

I would like to view the fireworks from a bit further back - away from all the crowds and chaos at the Rose Bowl itself. Any suggestions for alternate good viewing points of the Arroyo and the Rose Bow. Preferably where the traffic and parking will not be a nightmare to get in and get out. Ideally, I would like to be at least a mile away from the Rose Bowl itself if possible, as I know once the fireworks show is over, it will be gridlock in that area for a very, very long time. I had thought about getting an Uber ride to and from the Rose Bowl, but I know that it still will be major traffic gridlock trying to leave once the fireworks show is over.

I’m not interested in parking on Linda Vista, as I know that the neighbors in that area are not fond of fireworks viewers creating more traffic and parking problems in their neighborhood on the 4th of July. Though I am not sure if this is true or not, but I heard that the police block off the streets and post no parking signs all around the area days before.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 10:41 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times
Since I'm new to the area, I didn't know about a fireworks show at the Rose Bowl. Very exciting! I live in Altadena, just a mere 4 miles from the RB, and I just visited it for the first time for the U2 show last month. If I go, I will park a mile from the stadium like I did for the U2 show, to avoid the $50 parking, and walk to the RB. Easy peasy.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Since I'm new to the area, I didn't know about a fireworks show at the Rose Bowl. Very exciting! I live in Altadena, just a mere 4 miles from the RB, and I just visited it for the first time for the U2 show last month. If I go, I will park a mile from the stadium like I did for the U2 show, to avoid the $50 parking, and walk to the RB. Easy peasy.
Hello MitoBH. Every year, the Rose Bowl has a fireworks show (called AMERICAFEST Presented by Honda) . . . you can pay (about $15 per adult ticket, but the ticket cost DOES NOT include parking) to enter the bowl for a better show as they have other daytime entertainment on the inside until the fireworks show starts . . . but you can camp out on the lawn and see the fireworks for free. If you go to the RB website, you can get more information on the paid fireworks show.

I had heard about the U2 show last month and opted not to go to Pasadena that weekend, as I heard they were doing other things in the city that would cause a lot of traffic . . . I think I had heard that there was a bike ride that weekend as well.

Yet for the 4th of July at the RB, I know a lot of people go early (to get a good spot) to camp out on the lawn all day and picnic as they wait for the fireworks show . . . so I am sure the crowds will be several times larger than the U2 goes.

Ideally for me, I would just love to have an easy in-and-out parking spot . . . and walk 1 to 1 ½ miles to and from the lawn of the RB . . . watch the fireworks show and then walk back to our car and leave. I really don’t want to spend the day on the lawn with a giant crowd of people . . . while looking at lines of car traffic (all day) go by with people trying to find a place to park.

Looking at Google maps, it looks like I could park near Robinson Park (at Hammond and Fair Oaks) and walk to the RB . . . as it is about 1 ½ miles from the RB. Yet since I have never been in Pasadena on the 4th of July, I have no idea how much parking will be banned (due to the police putting up no parking signs all over the place), or how bad the traffic will be in that area if I arrive at 7:00 PM (to get parked and settled for the fireworks show that starts at 9:00 PM).

Old 06-16-2017, 05:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
I was born and raised in the area, went to the fireworks show many times. It is well worth the cost, as I can't think of anywhere watching it would be effective unless you actually know people living just above the bowl and can see it from their yards. The idea of parking about a mile away, is a great one, as long as the area allows parking. I will add, the only fireworks show I have seen that is better might be the DC 4th of July, but even then, the Rose bowl stands out in my mind. When we lived in Altadena we would park and walk a little bit, get out of the show and head home. Of course we fought the traffic, but what a fun time it was. When we walked in the door of our home I sliced watermelon for everyone. Even our young kids got to stay up long enough to enjoy the once a year experience.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:59 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Just go to North Hollywood area plenty of people setting them off illegally all night and weeks or months before too .
Police don't care if you report it either .

Old 06-17-2017, 04:20 PM

Thank you, nmnita. I appreciate your help.

jm1982, LOL!!! Thanks for the recommendation. I live near LAX. What you have described, happens in my neighborhood as well . . . exactly to a “T” what you have described. LOL!!! There is no need for me to go to the North Hollywood area for that . . . all I have to do is open my front door and BOOM, THERE IT ALL IS! LOL!!! Yet I want to kick it up a notch for my family this year, and do a “professional” fireworks show. I took my family to the July 4th Queen Mary fireworks show 3 years ago. Though we watched the show in Shoreline Village for free, the 10 or so minute fireworks show was just fair and UNDERwhelming , BUT it was not worth our time and trouble (fighting traffic to and from the event, along with parking problems in the Shoreline Village area) to justify just a “fair and UNDERwhelming” fireworks show. Yet on a side note, in my neighborhood, this year was the first time I have noticed that they officially started shooting off very loud (enough to wake the dead) fireworks in the month of May. Up until last month, I was only used to them setting off loud booming fireworks in my neighborhood just during the last full week before the 4th of July . . and then EVERY night for at least the next 2 weeks AFTER the 4th of July before it kinda gets quiet again. Yet this year, they started around in early May and I hear at least one GIANT BOOM every night . . . but since June started, I hear several giant booms per night. I wish they would outlaw those loud and thunderous fireworks that shake the entire neighborhood and cause multiple car alarms to go off. When I was a kid growing up in the 60's and 70's, there was no place you could go to buy fireworks in Los Angeles that make loud and thunderous loud booms that shook neighborhoods. Yet with my neighborhood sounding like a war zone a month before the 4th of July, I guess they only sell loud earthshaking fireworks nowadays. Yet I myself have not bought fireworks since before 1980. So I have no idea what type of fireworks they are selling at those pop-up sheds that litter the streets in my city about 10 or so days before the 4th of July.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:28 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,618 times
Fireworks pro here, checking in.

AmericaFest is one of ZEE BEST fireworks shows anywheres! and I mean that, as a guy who has seen everything Marina del Rey, Redondo Beach, Wilson Park, Sea World in San Diego, Pershing Square DTLA - and I'll say it - AmericaFest at the Rose Bowl BLOWS AWAY DISNEYLAND. I have a 6GB 40 minute video at 1920x1080p of last years' show.

You want to know HOW I found AmericaFest - by being on the 76th floor of the US Bank/First Interstate Tower downtown, and I could clearly see the Rose Bowl from that high up (tallest bldg in the USA WEST of the Mississippi). Pershing Square/Grand Ave is positively anemic in comparison.

You will be able to park easy about 1.5 miles (or more away), and then I highly recommend Uber/Lyft your way in. I hope you like crowds, there's plenty of people - not uncomfortably dense, and I've had nothing but polite friendly people all around me. Being the cheap bastaard I am, can't give away my secret spot... but I will tell you the wind blows from the west towards the east/inland - so I recommend the Linda Vista side over the Arroyo side.

Leaving... will be a zoo. count on at least an hour and no Uber/Lyft/taxi/Chauncey your Chaffuer will be able to fight the foot traffic of tens of thousands. So either leave the show early or sit tight and chill. You ain't going nowhere unless you walk it out, will take the better part of an hour to go 2 miles.

Wear reflective clothing/LEDs if you try to walk far, some of those side streets are very dark, and cars get impatient, room for so many mistakes...

Old 06-19-2017, 01:10 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,618 times
Awwwllright, I rounded up on the video length out of sheer enthusiam... it was just under 30 mins.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:08 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,926,636 times
I live near Warner Center Park in Woodland Hills and they put on a really nice 20 minute display. They close down Topanga and adjacent streets so there's plenty of room. Plus they have a 2 hour concert first, so it's not just fireworks. This year it's the SFV Symphony Orchestra. When the fireworks start, they play patriotic marching band-type music. It's really a nice accompaniment to the fireworks. People come and picnic all day and there's plenty of parking within a block or two.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:35 PM

Thank you SUPbud, and JustMike77. I thought about using an Uber ride to and from the RB, but they too would get caught in the traffic jam trying to leave. I thus far have put a plan together, where my family and will park and picnic nearby the RB, then walk to and from (about 4 miles round trip) to the RB.

Yet since I am getting too old and tired trying to deal with the crowds and traffic for big events (like this) in the Los Angeles area, this will probably be a one time only deal for me. I had heard about the RB fireworks shows over the years, but opted not to brave the traffic, parking problems, and the giant crowds of people. Though I have never been to the fireworks show at the RB before . . . but it is on my Bucket List. Yet after this year, I think I am only going to stick with the local city firework shows near LAX (where I live). Because usually the best firework shows in the area are often too crowed, with parking problems, and traffic problems . . . especially the usual horrific traffic trying to leave once one of these type shows are over. I went to the Queen Mary fireworks show about 4 years ago, and it took me almost 2 hours to drive from Long Beach back to the LAX area . . . whereas on a regular night with no traffic, it should have only taken me about 25 minutes to drive home from Long Beach to the LAX area.

JustMike77, I will keep your suggestion in mind for next year.

Thank you two very much for all of your help and suggestions, I greatly appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles