Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 09:52 PM

4 posts, read 7,139 times

Advertisements

Hello! Hope I can get some help on here, I keep reading old threads for info and wanted to post my own! I am looking to buy a larger family home in LA and have only lived here about 5 years around Glendale and Burbank, my job is in Burbank and I am trying to keep my drive around 30 min or less since I work crazy hours some times of the year. As much as I have been trying to explore, it has been a bit hard in some areas to tell what is really unsafe vs just rundown. I need 4 rooms with a backyard but do not have a milion to spend, so burbank and glendale are out for sure.. I have been looking mainly in Sunland (love it, but not many houses listed right now), Tujunja (nice but we keep getting outbid for full cash offers), areas of north hollywood, and around arcadia (bit far, but better direction for things and food I like since I am Asian and down there often on weekends) .

Anyway, I found a really great house in Sun Valley ( in the blocks between Pacifica Hospital and I-5, accross from the school there and close to the park..) but I really cant tell if its truly unsafe or just run down. Every home on my street has bars on every single window, gates, and cameras set up, but it seems fairly quiet and no crimes really on the online search results, just some car break in issues on the main street. The park nearby seemed very empty too, just a few homeless but they are in every park here it seems. Would love to hear thoughts from anyone that knows the area better or has suggestions for other areas to try. School quality is not a huge issue because we are hoping to get our kids into a korean FLAG school for foreign language in Glendale when that time comes.

I also was finding homes a larger size but cheaper in El Sereno which seemed like a short drive to burbank and was close to Arcadia/San Gabe and all that, but it was another area I could not tell if it was dangerous or just run down. My wife works from home and we have lots of camera and computer equipment so I dont mind if I cant go jogging at night, but I dont want to be worried every day I am at work.

Any info or advice you can give would be so helpful! Things seem to always be changing around here so advice I was seeing from 2008 online I am sure is not the same now (for better or worse) Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 06:55 AM

908 posts, read 1,303,643 times
Both areas are marginal and mostly run down but I'd choose Sun Valley over El Sereno.

I'd also look into Granada Hills. It's a much safer area and you've got a fair number of listings under $700K for 4+ bedrooms. Plus, your commute wouldn't be that much longer.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:04 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
Sun Valley has sand and gravel pits and cement making. This means a LOT of big trucks and dust. I don't live there some areas may be fine.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:11 AM

4 posts, read 7,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
Both areas are marginal and mostly run down but I'd choose Sun Valley over El Sereno.

I'd also look into Granada Hills. It's a much safer area and you've got a fair number of listings under $700K for 4+ bedrooms. Plus, your commute wouldn't be that much longer.

thank you! Yes we have been looking in Granada hills as well, so that is good to hear it is a bit safer.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:15 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibi84 View Post
Hello! Hope I can get some help on here, I keep reading old threads for info and wanted to post my own! I am looking to buy a larger family home in LA and have only lived here about 5 years around Glendale and Burbank, my job is in Burbank and I am trying to keep my drive around 30 min or less since I work crazy hours some times of the year. As much as I have been trying to explore, it has been a bit hard in some areas to tell what is really unsafe vs just rundown. I need 4 rooms with a backyard but do not have a milion to spend, so burbank and glendale are out for sure.. I have been looking mainly in Sunland (love it, but not many houses listed right now), Tujunja (nice but we keep getting outbid for full cash offers), areas of north hollywood, and around arcadia (bit far, but better direction for things and food I like since I am Asian and down there often on weekends) .

Anyway, I found a really great house in Sun Valley ( in the blocks between Pacifica Hospital and I-5, accross from the school there and close to the park..) but I really cant tell if its truly unsafe or just run down. Every home on my street has bars on every single window, gates, and cameras set up, but it seems fairly quiet and no crimes really on the online search results, just some car break in issues on the main street. The park nearby seemed very empty too, just a few homeless but they are in every park here it seems. Would love to hear thoughts from anyone that knows the area better or has suggestions for other areas to try. School quality is not a huge issue because we are hoping to get our kids into a korean FLAG school for foreign language in Glendale when that time comes.

I also was finding homes a larger size but cheaper in El Sereno which seemed like a short drive to burbank and was close to Arcadia/San Gabe and all that, but it was another area I could not tell if it was dangerous or just run down. My wife works from home and we have lots of camera and computer equipment so I dont mind if I cant go jogging at night, but I dont want to be worried every day I am at work.

Any info or advice you can give would be so helpful! Things seem to always be changing around here so advice I was seeing from 2008 online I am sure is not the same now (for better or worse) Thank you!
What's Lincoln Hts like these days? When I worked there in the late 90s-early 2000s, it was exclusively Mexican-Mexican American. Did the whites take it over yet like everything else?

Old 06-18-2017, 01:31 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
What's Lincoln Hts like these days? When I worked there in the late 90s-early 2000s, it was exclusively Mexican-Mexican American. Did the whites take it over yet like everything else?
I don't know many places in LA where whites have taken over. Even the most gentrified areas are still half Mexican

Old 06-18-2017, 03:00 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I don't know many places in LA where whites have taken over. Even the most gentrified areas are still half Mexican
Many people get this idea from articles and blogs that exaggerate or don't do their research .
I've heard it so many times about Echo Park , "all the white hipsters pushed out the poor Latino immigrants "

It's still Hispanic majority

Old 06-18-2017, 03:45 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Many people get this idea from articles and blogs that exaggerate or don't do their research .
I've heard it so many times about Echo Park , "all the white hipsters pushed out the poor Latino immigrants "

It's still Hispanic majority
Exactly. Echo Park is a prime example. The entire state population is primarily Hispanic

Old 06-20-2017, 09:28 AM

240 posts, read 240,390 times
Sun Valley can vary street by street. My suggestion would be to drive the neighborhood - that particular area you mentioned north of the freeway can be mixed industrial and residential and you may not like that. Also, check the crime stats. LA Times has a pretty good crime map, in my opinion.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:19 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
SHort answer................you won't have daily murders and car bombs everyday, not at all.
But in all likelihood you will deal with some serious quality of life issues......loud music, graffiti, lots of loitering in front of stores and private property, ugly lawns, car break ins, tons pf neighbors who will appear to be trust fund babies becuz they never goto work, ect....

Everyone depending on their age and background, and what their current wants has a different tolerance for these things.

On a side not from personal experience, not sure if it matters to you, but Sun Valley MS is probably one of the 5 worst middle schools in the Valley

Last edited by jacktravern; 06-20-2017 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles